• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kick Azz Toys From Your Childhood...
1 1

964 posts in this topic

Incredible Edibles were cool. So was Light Bright.

I remember lots of cool toy guns as a kid, especially a machine gun like Sgt. Saunders had in the T.V. show Combat, a bunch of toy cap guns called Zero-M, such as a transistor radio that turned into a rifle and a camera that turned into pistol. Toy bazookas and hand grenades. And lots of Army Men.

All this became politically incorrect sometime during or after the 1970s, I think. As for me, all that playing Army man as a kid must have gotten it out of my system, I've never desired to own a real gun in my adult life.

One of my all-time favorites -- it came out just shortly before I discovered girls and Rock-and-Roll (which both enriched--and ruined--my life):

Mattel-FootballBox.jpg

Still have mine. Sweet. Showed it to my son, who just laughed.

Still have mine. It's probably in my mom's attic. Amazing how little it took to entertain us back then. ;)

Anyone remember those shrunken heads you made from apples?

Apples, you were supposed to use apples? doh!

When we visited the Galapagos some years ago, we made a stop in Ecuador and visited a museum stationed right on the equator. There was one hut/station that had shrunken heads in jars with fluid. It freaked me out BIG TIME, but part of me thought they couldn't be real, even though the person there explained they were very real and the methods that were used.

When I returned from the trip, I found out that the National Museum of the American Indian repatriated the authentic shrunken heads from its collection to Ecuador. Here's more on it.

From the days when Lego Space sets were new :cloud9:

I loved Lego kits. Never a boring moment. :cloud9:

Lego was the second major toy I had. I loved the space lego. I also had the castle lego and motor lego as well. Take those three types and mix up the parts and I use to make bases out of it for my GI JOE that had gun turrents, a hovercraft I built that sat inside dorrs that opened up in front and and a command center. Had like 3 milk crates full of the awesome stuff. I might even possibly have that still at my parents house unless that got thrown out or given away.

Lincoln Logs were my favorite used them to build forts and played cowboys and indians with the lone ranger and tonto action figures (not dolls :sumo: ) . Hours of great fun and actually used our imagination too - what a concept !

Lawn Darts was a great game too! Still don't know what they were thinking! :screwy:

My grandfather had a vibrating football game and every time we (my brother and I ) went over we were sent down cellar to play the game so we did not bother the adults. I do not remember the name of it but essentially you lined up the players and turned on the machine and they would move. They would knock down other players and the goal of the game was to get the quarter back to score a touch down.

Wish I knew the name of the game we spent a lot of Sundays and Holidays in the cellar playing that game (probably explains a lot!)

Before Christmas, my wife was chastising me because I couldn't come up with any gift ideas for myself. I jokingly told her she could buy me legos. The eye rolling and sarcastic comments followed, but as I'm opening my gifts on Christmas morning, what do I get? A Star Wars lego set. :banana:

Before Christmas, my wife was chastising me because I couldn't come up with any gift ideas for myself. I jokingly told her she could buy me legos. The eye rolling and sarcastic comments followed, but as I'm opening my gifts on Christmas morning, what do I get? A Star Wars lego set. :banana:

Did you sit on the floor in your pajamas and build it. lol

Do sweatpants and a tee shirt count? :grin:

Do sweatpants and a tee shirt count? :grin:

doh!

My son discovered my chest of Legos (from my childhood) not long ago. Now, the whole family plays with Legos on the weekend. My wife made a Lego laptop last Sunday.

Further confirmation that I married the right woman. :luhv:

One of my all-time favorites -- it came out just shortly before I discovered girls and Rock-and-Roll (which both enriched--and ruined--my life):

Mattel-FootballBox.jpg

Still have mine. Sweet. Showed it to my son, who just laughed.

Since all of those types of games were built on repeating movement patterns, I was able to memorize where all the blockers would be after the first series of moves (I move up and blocker #3 moves forward, move to the top of the screen... etc.) I could score a TD on every single possession and hold them to 3 and out on defense. The only limit to my score was the clock and how fast I could mash the buttons.

Funny thing is, a guy had on at the office (they reissued it in the late '90s). After playing it for about 5 minutes I remembered all the patterns and ran up the score to 70-0.