• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest *Round 10*

234 posts in this topic

I am surprised by the 9.0 grade. In addition to the spine foxing issues and the rust marks, the top edge of the book when viewed from the back appears to be a bit blotchy from foxing... and the top spine corner on the back looks rounded and discolored. Knowing that CGC is known to be soft on foxing, I debated a long while between 8.0 and 8.5, then rounded down (ouch). (I guess "soft on foxing" means they ignore it completely?)

From what I can tell from the scans... which is admittedly different than having the book in hand... I'd be pretty embarrassed to sell this as a raw 9.0. (shrug)

I gave it a 7.0. Obviously I will ignore comments in the future.

In the future, I don't see any more comments forthcoming. You will be on your own.

:eek:

lol

I am surprised by the 9.0 grade. In addition to the spine foxing issues and the rust marks, the top edge of the book when viewed from the back appears to be a bit blotchy from foxing... and the top spine corner on the back looks rounded and discolored. Knowing that CGC is known to be soft on foxing, I debated a long while between 8.0 and 8.5, then rounded down (ouch). (I guess "soft on foxing" means they ignore it completely?)

From what I can tell from the scans... which is admittedly different than having the book in hand... I'd be pretty embarrassed to sell this as a raw 9.0. (shrug)

I think if someone did try to sell this book on the boards as a 9.0 they would probably hear the crickets chirping for quite some time afterwards.

I believe overstreet will allow foxing up to 9.2 or 9.4 grades. This foxing didn't seem too bad for the grade and the book was pretty nice otherwise, IMO.

I believe overstreet will allow foxing up to 9.2 or 9.4 grades. This foxing didn't seem too bad for the grade and the book was pretty nice otherwise, IMO.

Ha, you are right, good thing I can't read. I thought overstreet only allowed foxing starting with 9.0, but you are right, it is 9.4.

(thumbs u

Hadn't read it in a while so I wasn't sure which grade it was allowed in but I knew it was there in the ballpark.

For instance, based on Contest data only, DR.X, towards2112, and gorgoguy all have my undivided attention the next time they have a sales thread in the Marketplace. :baiting:

You may get your chance sooner than you think. I just finished a deal ten minutes ago for 1,300 books. All of which I will probably undergrade. :whee: I think I'll go pop open a cold one and start processing this stuff.

DR.X

I think if someone did try to sell this book on the boards as a 9.0 they would probably hear the crickets chirping for quite some time afterwards.

I think you are correct.

I hear you, Roy. But to play devil's advocate back -- Overstreet allows only for "very minor foxing" in 9.0:

http://www.gemstonepub.com/archive/06_grading.asp

I guess we can agree to disagree on whether this foxing is "very minor". (shrug)

Other phrases that appear in Overstreet's 9.0 definition: "nearly perfect"... "almost imperceptible wear" ... "nearly imperceptible" ...

If I bought (say) a CGC 9.0 Batman #227 without seeing a BC scan and got the book and its back cover looked like this, yeesh... I would be disappointed beyond words.

If I bought (say) a CGC 9.0 Batman #227 without seeing a BC scan and got the book and its back cover looked like this, yeesh... I would be disappointed beyond words.

No doubt.