• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredible Hulk #181 Help

54 posts in this topic

Value Stamp? Whats that?

Where is Bob Storms located?

If you don't know what a Marvel Value Stamp is, you have no business buying a raw Hulk 181. I am not being a . But, even though it is cool that you want one, you clearly have not been involved in buying Bronze books. Please listen to what the folks on here are telling you and think about buying a slabbed book, or buying from one of the rock solid dealers that have already been named, or another dealer with a solid reputation.

"Gee Wally don't you think you were a little hard on the Beaver last night?"

Thats what she said :o

there is one listed at ha.com with the auction ending this sunday.

I'm not in the market for one, so i wouldn't know if the current bid price presents a discount or a premium. Just thought maybe this might interest you, even if just to see how it ends.

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=111013&Lot_No=13194

As Brian said, if you're looking for high grade raw, contact Bob Storms. I'm sure he has a few.

If you really don't want to do the online thing, go to a few shows before you make your purchase. Don't buy the first thing you see. Hulk #181 is like any ASM. Always available. You can wait for the exact right book for you. You will find it.

Look for a book with deep red/orange cover. Check for MVS (as others have said).

It's probably the "easiest" high grade key book in the hobby.

as the administrator of hulk181.com, I have to say you should listen to everything they have said here.. good advice.. and make sure that Sheena stamp is in there! Check every page for stains/writing/spine stress/misalignment/page color, etc etc..

I just picked one up in a collection that I think is a 9.6.. would need to be pressed and cleaned to make it.. the only thing keeping it from a 9.8 is a top right hand corner ding...and if the CGC was in a good mood that day it might pass as a 9.8, but obviously its not something I would guarantee.

The book is probably getting purchased along with the collection it came from on Monday.. but it is a beautiful copy and if they don't buy it.. I'll send you a scan..

and remember, a 9.8 by definition has to have a defect of some sort..but a very slight/small one of course... or it would be a 9.9 or 10.

xsquealx,

Since you didn't know what the value stamp was, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say your restoration spotting isn't great either. That's a major concern if you're looking to buy a raw high grade copy at a convention.

A high grade copy is going to be expensive, and you could easily get ripped off if the book has even a small color touch spot. Or any other type of restoration you don't see, because of an inexperienced eye.

Your safe options are going to be extremely limited if you're not going to consider CGC copies. The restoration check is the main reason I prefer CGC copies over raw books when I'm spending a larger amount of money on a book. You can always remove a book from a slab after you buy it. You could remove it at the show and still get that experience. 2c

If you're still going to ignore CGC books. Check out Foolkiller's thread about honest dealers here 1st: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4277139

Dealers like Bob Storms have a reputation of refunding your money without hassle if they say a book has no restoration, but comes back with a purple label.

Be safe and happy hunting! (thumbs u

xsquealx,

Since you didn't know what the value stamp was, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say your restoration spotting isn't great either. That's a major concern if you're looking to buy a raw high grade copy at a convention.

A high grade copy is going to be expensive, and you could easily get ripped off if the book has even a small color touch spot. Or any other type of restoration you don't see, because of an inexperienced eye.

Your safe options are going to be extremely limited if you're not going to consider CGC copies. The restoration check is the main reason I prefer CGC copies over raw books when I'm spending a larger amount of money on a book. You can always remove a book from a slab after you buy it. You could remove it at the show and still get that experience. 2c

If you're still going to ignore CGC books. Check out Foolkiller's thread about honest dealers here 1st: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4277139

Dealers like Bob Storms have a reputation of refunding your money without hassle if they say a book has no restoration, but comes back with a purple label.

Be safe and happy hunting! (thumbs u

Thanks! I hadnt considered that. I will be sure to watch out for that.

one other thing if you are planning to buy a raw copy ( my advice is buy a CGC copy ):

In addition to checking for the marvel value stamp inside the book on the letters page, also know that the stamp is supposed to be Shanna the She Devil.

I recently looked at a Hulk 181 raw copy at a local comic show that had the stamp, but it was the wrong one. Someone had swapped the letters page wrap of a Hulk 179 into the Hulk 181 to make the book appear to have the stamp.

The book is now an incomplete, and the story is affected.

There are many unscrupulous sellers out there. Be cautious. Buy a CGC graded book from a well known reputable seller. It is worth the few hundred dollars you might "save" buying a raw book.

Thanks for the advice. So does the page the MVS is on for hulk 181 effect the story if it is missing? Do you know the page number it is on?

Please for the love of God, get a CGC'd copy. I am so tired of reading threads saying "my high grade book is graded qualified" or " I got ripped off by xxx" :blahblah:

Value Stamp? Whats that?

Where is Bob Storms located?

If you don't know what a Marvel Value Stamp is, you have no business buying a raw Hulk 181. I am not being a . But, even though it is cool that you want one, you clearly have not been involved in buying Bronze books. Please listen to what the folks on here are telling you and think about buying a slabbed book, or buying from one of the rock solid dealers that have already been named, or another dealer with a solid reputation.

"Gee Wally don't you think you were a little hard on the Beaver last night?"

Thats what she said :o

the actual punch line is "ward (beavers father) being asked by june (mrs cleaver) that question..........still funny