• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are "acid-free" backing boards truly acid-free? Time to pH test & find out!
13 13

443 posts in this topic

Funny thing is when I typed in "NERD" in Dictionary.com, this came up.

nerd

   /nɜrd/ Show Spelled[nurd] Show IPA

–noun Slang .

1. Any person hauling 50 lbs worth of E Gerber fullbacks all over the USA and back to Belgium

an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd.

Use Nerd in a Sentence

See images of Nerd

Search Nerd on the Web

Also, nurd.

Origin:

1960–65, Americanism ; obscurely derived expressive formation

I'm in a bar watching the NFL and reading this thread on an iPad.

I'm surprised that lookup wasn't a picture of me...

Edited by trip74

Funny thing is when I typed in "NERD" in Dictionary.com, this came up.

nerd

   /nɜrd/ Show Spelled[nurd] Show IPA

–noun Slang .

1. Any person hauling 50 lbs worth of E Gerber fullbacks all over the USA and back to Belgium

an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd.

Use Nerd in a Sentence

See images of Nerd

Search Nerd on the Web

Also, nurd.

Origin:

1960–65, Americanism ; obscurely derived expressive formation

I'm in a bar watching the NFL and reading this thread on an iPad.

I'm surprised that lookup wasn't a picture of me...

What are you talking about? IPads make great coasters....

Great report. You mentioned everything that I figured.

Now how about someone doing a report on fading. To prove to everyone that displays there comics in the light that its destroying them.

We need a special spot for these kind of threads.

I believe he has done that experiment over 1 years time, and the results were that there was no noticable difference in the comic that was displayed and the control.

Now how about someone doing a report on fading. To prove to everyone that displays there comics in the light that its destroying them.

I believe he has done that experiment over 1 years time, and the results were that there was no noticable difference in the comic that was displayed and the control.

Exactly.

That experiment was done with a CGC'ed book, displayed in a bookcase in a room that gets plenty of indirect light throughout the day. Even after a full year of being subjected to indirect light, there was no discernible fading - the before & after scans were near-identical (and any variances in those were probably due to different lighting conditions as I was scanning the book).

There's no doubt that if the book had been placed in the path of direct sunlight, there would have been noticeable fading, though - perhaps I'll try that next hm

Exactly.

That experiment was done with a CGC'ed book, displayed in a bookcase in a room that gets plenty of indirect light throughout the day. Even after a full year of being subjected to indirect light, there was no discernible fading - the before & after scans were near-identical (and any variances in those were probably due to different lighting conditions as I was scanning the book).

There's no doubt that if the book had been placed in the path of direct sunlight, there would have been noticeable fading, though - perhaps I'll try that next hm

Fascinating...simply fascinating!

:golfclap: I applaud you, sir! :applause:

Here's a general question. My comics are not in bags and boards. I have them bound 22-30 at a time in hardcovers. Would it help to use microchamber paper? And if so, how many, and where in the book?

Books made of low quality paper were pretty much exactly what microchamber interleaving paper was designed for. Super thin, so as not to cause structural stress, but over 100 times the acid removal capability of the same size buffered paper. I would consider a sheet behind the front covers of each book. You might want to go with a smaller size down or even our modern size to accommodate the trimmed edges and gutter loss.

I also think bound volumes would be one of the few instances where I would consider a de-acidification spray, especially for very old newsprint. However the microchamber would probably be cheaper.

Exactly.

to be honest, while interesting, that would seem like an extremely limited study. It only covered a single book and science would dictate:

multiple copies

more than a single year

a control

we'd need more data than just that single copy. ok, missed that there was a single control (?), but you'd still want multiple examples, over more than just a year, to draw any real conclusions.