• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are "acid-free" backing boards truly acid-free? Time to pH test & find out!
13 13

443 posts in this topic

Wouldn't the library of congress most likely take Gerber Products at it's word that their products are advertised.. Like the rest of us do? Fo most of their stuff, and take special precautions with only their finest specimens?

You can't be serious. Do a little reading about the testing that the LoC does on the storage products it uses before it uses them.

Well. It's good that someone still trusts that people incharge don't cut corners anymore...

They may cut corners. Who knows? But when it comes to storage materials, everything I've seen, heard, and read suggests that they test materials extensively before they buy them from vendors, and not just for the rarest documents.

Since I am a lawyer (channeling Star Jones, apparently), I will add a comment about the trade libel issue. Yes, I think there could be a significant trade libel issue because BCW disparaged Gerber's and Bill Cole's products. But there could also be a defamation claim against BCW because BCW has essentially accused Gerber and Bill Cole of ripping off the government, which can lead to criminal and civil liability.

And I am still laughing at the 30-year paper and pulp veteran who can identify the content of the Gerber board just by looking at it.

If true, charges could be made against BCW. But in the arena of government malfeasance, who is guiltier, the vendor or the govt employee who didn't live up to the written standards set forth at some point years ago. And in reality, it would be somewhat less than a cause celebrate.

Hey hat guy must have gained some hands on experience in those 30 years, no? But it does sound a little thin and desperate.

If true, charges could be made against BCW. But in the arena of government malfeasance, who is guiltier, the vendor or the govt employee who didn't live up to the written standards set forth at some point years ago. And in reality, it would be somewhat less than a cause celebrate.

Hey hat guy must have gained some hands on experience in those 30 years, no? But it does sound a little thin and desperate.

The vendor who lied to the government for the sake of selling inferior materials would be "guiltier." I am not sure what you mean by "the govt employee who didn't live up to the written standards set forth at some point years ago." The vendors are required to meet the standards in order to sell materials to the LoC. The reality is that the LoC does test the materials it receives and the 30-year pulp and paper guy sounds like either a figment of BCW's imagination, or the dumbest 30-year pulp and paper guy in the world.

Like I said, I didn't expect anyone to take my word for it, so the boards are on the way to the lab. However, it has already been shown that, regardless of the test results that I present, they will just be discarded as propaganda. However, everyone here appears to trust Mike. I'm sure that he still has that pH pencil and an E. Gerber Half-Back lying around. Mike, how about peeling the white coating from an E. Gerber Half-Back, marking the gray core, and posting that picture?

The vendor who lied to the government for the sake of selling inferior materials would be "guiltier." I am not sure what you mean by "the govt employee who didn't live up to the written standards set forth at some point years ago." The vendors are required to meet the standards in order to sell materials to the LoC. The reality is that the LoC does test the materials it receives and the 30-year pulp and paper guy sounds like either a figment of BCW's imagination, or the dumbest 30-year pulp and paper guy in the world.

For looking the other way.. In most vendor client relationships that go off the tracks like this, th rem liter is usually culpable for helping a vendor who is very generous with drink and gifts. We all like to work with our friends and award contracts to them, and look the other way when they transgress.

But I'm just surmising. And increasingly cynical of late.

Is it possible that the components have changed since they may have passed LoC testing requiments too?

Here is a pic from a trip the CBCA did last year to the LoC of what they store their comics in. I can't remember the name of the company that made them for the LoC but they are all one piece of archival material with a window. If I remember correctly it is one flap on the side and one on the top to keep it all in.

DSC_0613.jpg

DSC_0618.jpg

Just remembered I had a pic of it. Thought you guys would like to see it.

Here is a pic from a trip the CBCA did last year to the LoC of what they store their comics in. I can't remember the name of the company that made them for the LoC but they are all one piece of archival material with a window. If I remember correctly it is one flap on the side and one on the top to keep it all in.

DSC_0613.jpg

DSC_0618.jpg

Maybe BCW's paper vendor can give his opinion of these. :wishluck:

DSC_0613.jpg

DSC_0618.jpg

I can give you my opinion of that Tec #1...it's dreamy :luhv:

DSC_0613.jpg

DSC_0618.jpg

+1...that's a sweet azz Tec 1.... :luhv:

Was there not a claim on the BCW website that the Extenders "prevented acids, mold and mildew"? Identical to the claim from Dana Kellum?

They also prevent plaque, gingivitis and soothe aching hemoroids :banana:

For looking the other way.. In most vendor client relationships that go off the tracks like this, th rem liter is usually culpable for helping a vendor who is very generous with drink and gifts. We all like to work with our friends and award contracts to them, and look the other way when they transgress.

But I'm just surmising. And increasingly cynical of late.

Is it possible that the components have changed since they may have passed LoC testing requiments too?

Sure. And it's possible that monkeys could fly out of my butt.

DSC_0613.jpg

DSC_0618.jpg

+1...that's a sweet azz Tec 1.... :luhv:

:o Easily the nicest copy I've ever seen! (worship)

However, everyone here appears to trust Mike. I'm sure that he still has that pH pencil and an E. Gerber Half-Back lying around. Mike, how about peeling the white coating from an E. Gerber Half-Back, marking the gray core, and posting that picture?

E Gerber half-back peel test:

In case it isn't clear from the picture, in hand both lines look identical.

teartest-gerber.jpg

I didn't want you to feel left out, so here's the same test on a brand new BCW board:

teartest-bcw.jpg