Are "acid-free" backing boards truly acid-free? Time to pH test & find out!
28 28

414 posts in this topic

grayzr   
  • 394 posts

This is a very useful thread.

Thanks for all the info and to everyone who has contributed :applause:

alleycat_tn   
  • 1 post

WOW! Such a great post. I've always been wary of the single coated backing boards. Kudos to the OP!

lizards2   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 36,913 posts

• I have no registry points, so I exercise my geek superiority by being a jerk.
9 minutes ago, AllenBurton said:

WOW! Such a great post. I've always been wary of the single coated backing boards. Kudos to the OP!

If they were any good at all, they'd dress in layers. :sumo:

kingjohn3   
  • 14 posts

Can anyone tell me if Mylar bags will yellow over time? I have a ton of them and I thought that's the exact thing there were not supposed to do

mschmidt   
  • 19,874 posts
Just now, kingjohn3 said:

Can anyone tell me if Mylar bags will yellow over time? I have a ton of them and I thought that's the exact thing there were not supposed to do

They won't.

kingjohn3   
  • 14 posts
4 minutes ago, mschmidt said:

They won't.

Didn't think so. I maybe should explain further what I have. I have a 2" thick stack of empty bags that look and feel like Mylar but when they're all stacked together like that it's a dirty yellow color.  Does that mean these are not true Mylars? I also have some with old boards in them that I cant tell if they are legit, any way to tell?

mschmidt   
  • 19,874 posts
3 hours ago, kingjohn3 said:

Didn't think so. I maybe should explain further what I have. I have a 2" thick stack of empty bags that look and feel like Mylar but when they're all stacked together like that it's a dirty yellow color.  Does that mean these are not true Mylars? I also have some with old boards in them that I cant tell if they are legit, any way to tell?

Yeah, "real" mylar (Mylar type D or Melinex) is completely inert, so it won't yellow over time. 

With boards it's easy - if they have smooth surfaces, they're not archival safe.

ThreeSeas   
  • 561 posts
4 hours ago, kingjohn3 said:

I can tell you that mine have not. I bought mine when I first learned of them in the 80's, so the few hundred bags I bought still look like they did when I bought them. At the time they were called time-loks, mylites, and another name I cannot remember for the third type of mylar I used. The time-loks had a pre-made top flap, the mylites were really thin and you have to fold the flap, the third type I have are as thick as the time-loks but the top flap would really take some force to fold it, so I typically left it alone. All of these do not show any noticeable aging and Like I mentioned, even after all this time.

CKB   
  • 8,188 posts
7 hours ago, kingjohn3 said:

Sounds like they might be thick ultra-pro polys or something.  Those things are terrible.   Take a quick picture.

kingjohn3   
  • 14 posts

I'll try to get a pic soon of what I have. Well I guess Gerberizing my collection is a no brainer but I'm thinking of using them with my "Archival Safe" NON- mylar BCW bags. Is that acceptable in terms of keeping a collection safe if I replace the bags every 5 or so years or does that defeat the purpose? Is there any kind of weird chemical reaction that could happen between the Gerber boards and polypropylene bags?

kingjohn3   
  • 14 posts

Best pic I could get. More yellowy in person. So what do you think?

IMG_0363.JPG

lizards2   
  • 36,913 posts

• I have no registry points, so I exercise my geek superiority by being a jerk.

They look to thin to be mylar.  I suppose they could be mylites with filth on them.