• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are "acid-free" backing boards truly acid-free? Time to pH test & find out!
13 13

443 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

This is a new brand on me. Has anyone heard of them / used them?

2136141335_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.75bb3986a5c09b6b40d416e63f7752e4.jpg

how come they aren't advertising acid free? 

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Dunno. Website doesn't seem to work. Maybe they folded.

hm maybe

On 9/20/2019 at 6:38 PM, thewritestuff said:

...people have been raving about the plastic boxes. I just don’t know if I trust them to be acid-free.

The term "acid-free" is not used in relation to plastics. The terms "inert" and "stable" are used to describe plastics that can be safely used in preservation.

Understanding plastics for preservation

On 6/15/2011 at 10:42 AM, BCW Supplies said:

We apologize for the delay in our response. We are calling on professionals in the paper industry and gathering the information necessary to address your questions. One thing that we would like to stress is that we have a common goal; to determine, beyond any reasonable doubt, the facts regarding the use of solid bleached sulfate for comic backing boards. It should be noted that we do not recommend solid bleached sulfate boards for long term storage of comic books. Our BCW Comic Backing Boards are offered as a cost effective short term storage solution which is why we recommend that you change your backing boards every 3 to 5 years as outlined in the information regarding the storage of comics and magazines provided on bcwsupplies.com.

In response to Mike's request that we address his dubious award, we have not been presented with any evidence that would support Mike's claims that BCW Comic Extenders "..are certain to cause undue strain on the staples which can lead to the staples popping through the paper." While we understand that the information regarding comic backing boards is important, ultimately this conversation is about the preservation of comic books themselves. With this is mind we will state that no comic books, damaged or otherwise, have been presented as proof of Mike's claims.

Your backing boards are . Without a doubt utter trash. How is it affordable if you have to switch them out every few years? Not even considering your backing boards are about the same price as E Gerbers. 

On 6/20/2011 at 2:12 PM, BCW Supplies said:

Let's modify this this example so that it is relative to the boards in question since they both have a 3% buffer of calcium carbonate.

1. Let's take 2 solutions, both at a pH of 7.0: (i) 10% Tris-Hydrochloride. (ii) 10% Tris-Hydrochloride.

2. Let's add a drop of vinegar (5% acetic acid) to each and measure the pH.

3. Result? Both buffers will maintain very close to pH 7.0.

4. The lesson? Equal buffers will yield equal results.

The point that we are trying to make with the example above is that namisgr does not explain how an alkaline reserve works, nor does he explain how boards that are both buffered with 3% calcium carbonate can show dramatically different results after 2 years of use.

Your boards are coated on one side and the insides and opposite sides a hot mess. Don’t compare you’re non archival quality boards to archival quality and proven ones. It’s ridiculous. I also was using your brand for my new books but no longer. 

On 6/20/2011 at 2:12 PM, BCW Supplies said:

Let's modify this this example so that it is relative to the boards in question since they both have a 3% buffer of calcium carbonate.

1. Let's take 2 solutions, both at a pH of 7.0: (i) 10% Tris-Hydrochloride. (ii) 10% Tris-Hydrochloride.

2. Let's add a drop of vinegar (5% acetic acid) to each and measure the pH.

3. Result? Both buffers will maintain very close to pH 7.0.

4. The lesson? Equal buffers will yield equal results.

The point that we are trying to make with the example above is that namisgr does not explain how an alkaline reserve works, nor does he explain how boards that are both buffered with 3% calcium carbonate can show dramatically different results after 2 years of use.

What part of the entire inside and uncoated side of your boards being acid producing don’t you understand? What part of having to replace these boards every few years for them to be safe is not penetrating your thick skull? There a fraction cheaper, don’t work long term and need to be replaced constantly how is this a cheaper alternative to actual archival supplies? 

On 7/13/2012 at 6:45 AM, chrisco37 said:

There are only a few tried and true way to do that:

Sunbeam-Steam-Master-Iron-fb-7531431.jpg

or

Stack-Encyclopedia-Books-Over-White-Background-662772.jpg

But, those are basically the same thing, right? ;)

Having your books professional pressed is actually a bad thing in terms of conservation. It speeds up the decaying of the comic and shortens it’s life drastically. 

18 minutes ago, Corona smith said:

Having your books professional pressed is actually a bad thing in terms of conservation. It speeds up the decaying of the comic and shortens it’s life drastically. 

We won’t really know that for a few more years (decades?).  But, it’s certainly possible.

I’m more “worried” about all the high grade SS books out there signed/sketched with sharpies.  Will the ink ultimately bleed thru the cover?  I don’t know.

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t touched upon but with these boards you want to have the glossy side facing the comic and not the other way around, right? It may sound like a newbie question but on another forum comic storage was brought up and some people were storing their books with the non glossy side facing the comic which is the wrong way right? Another stores in Mylar with no backing board in the bag containing the book. It’s placed in another bag and the boards in there. So it’s a bagged comic inside another bag which has the board. That’s bad storage, no? It’s in a doubly enclosed space with nowhere for the acids to go or be absorbed.

Just noticed it was my 69th post. I still have growing up to do. 

Edited by Corona smith

And just how careful are these people doing sketches that it warrants a 9.8? I mean a lot of it’s done at cons and I just am baffled that it would end up near perfect after all the different hands on it.   Writing on the cover is always a flaw regardless of who’s doing the writing/drawing in my book. Though others will pay a premium I won’t and don’t actively seek out autographs. 

1 hour ago, Corona smith said:

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t touched upon but with these boards you want to have the glossy side facing the comic and not the other way around, right? It may sound like a newbie question but on another forum comic storage was brought up and some people were storing their books with the non glossy side facing the comic which is the wrong way right? Another stores in Mylar with no backing board in the bag containing the book. It’s placed in another bag and the boards in there. So it’s a bagged comic inside another bag which has the board. That’s bad storage, no? It’s in a doubly enclosed space with nowhere for the acids to go or be absorbed.

Just noticed it was my 69th post. I still have growing up to do. 

The glossy side has the coating, so yes, it's the one to make contact with the comic. The rough side is untreated.

Edited by DavidTheDavid

2 hours ago, Corona smith said:

And just how careful are these people doing sketches that it warrants a 9.8? I mean a lot of it’s done at cons and I just am baffled that it would end up near perfect after all the different hands on it.  

Google search "window bag and board comic book" for an in-depth answer. Also, the CGC Yellow label is essentially a Qualified grade where they do not detract from the grade because of the signature.

(thumbsu

-slym

Edited by slym2none

8 hours ago, slym2none said:

Google search "window bag and board comic book" for an in-depth answer. Also, the CGC Yellow label is essentially a Qualified grade where they do not detract from the grade because of the signature.

(thumbsu

-slym

Thanks for the info. Pretty good solution to protecting the rest of the book. 

Took so long to read this whole thread that I can now scarcely recall how I got here, but interesting info and entertaining interaction with surprising longevity made it a worthy read. :bump:

Was all set to call E. Gerber tomorrow to place an order; then saw this:   

Like Queequeg on the Pequod, TATs are everywhere!

On 7/27/2021 at 7:48 PM, SargenticusV said:

Took so long to read this whole thread that I can now scarcely recall how I got here, but interesting info and entertaining interaction with surprising longevity made it a worthy read. :bump:

Was all set to call E. Gerber tomorrow to place an order; then saw this:   

Like Queequeg on the Pequod, TATs are everywhere!

I plan on calling E. Gerber for some acid free comic boxes and mylites4 and boards in a day or so.  Hopefully I won't have to wait long to get them but I will certainly find out.