• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA in Australia
4 4

336 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this.  What are the odds of finding the Ozzie copy of this really hard Atlas?

62a176f6-0734-441c-a8a1-4d6e9b693e06_zps

Very nice. And slabbed too. (Hopefully not by Halo, the embarrassingly bad Australian grading company!)

I love finding stuff like this.

Have you guys ever seen these before?

Even though the Superboy says it's issue 6, it's actually #1.  Issues 1-5 were called Adventures of Superboy and I believe were versions of the 1st superboy Adventure comics.

I like the 14 because it's got the 1st version of "Supergirl".  I have to admit I didn't know this story existed until I got this comic (might be a good one to get the American version of).

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

lol

What's amusing about this cover (#6) is the "promise" of a full colour interior, as indicated by the slightly turned cover.

Disappointingly, for  the young Australian reader, the interior is black and white. What a gyp.

It wasn't until issue #91 that the interiors were reprinted in colour, discontinued with issue #102

Edited by Duffman_Comics
Let me be perfectly clear, here . . .

42 minutes ago, Duffman_Comics said:

lol

What's amusing about this cover (#6) is the "promise" of a full colour interior, as indicated by the slightly turned cover.

Disappointingly, for  the young Australian reader, the interior is black and white. What a gyp.

It wasn't until issue #91 that the interiors were reprinted in colour, discontinued with issue #102

Even more funny is the cover for #14 advertises "the Isle of Menace" and "Zoo for Sale" yet neither of those stories are inside.

2 hours ago, Readcomix said:

As promised, now it's here :cloud9:

image.jpeg

Very nice! Australian Archies had some nice covers that didn't appear on US editions. Here's another one that I don't think has appeared in this thread.

2138975917_ArchiesRivalReggie31.jpg.b8c474256ed1458cf4521c100386c5e0.jpg

31 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

SO AWESOME they turned Ginger into Susie!!!!

a1.jpg

Never thought of it that way, but as thumbnail at top of cover shows, blonde Ginger = Susie! Haven't had a minute to read it yet; I just grabbed the book (online) soon as I saw it, thinking its a cool twist on a GGA classic cover. But clearly they did t change her hair arbitrarily; they repurposed Ginger as Susie. 

45 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Love it! I love finding foreign copies of US keys. I'm very sure there are next to none copies of that still existing. I'm sure these were printed in very low print runs.

Thanks Bob! I suspect the same thing; population of Australia between 1950-1955 looks to be between 8 and 9 million, from a quick online search. Assuming they were available in New Zealand as well, they still could not have needed very large print runs, I would think. I've grabbed the only one I've seen thus far.

This came in the mail all the way from New Zeland. I was the only EBay bidder.   My first GA book from down under. A little beat but I’m glad to have it. It is #9 which translates to #58 in the US. 

Would like to find some more but I suspect these are almost as scarce there as they are here.

F00297A6-A665-48D5-9470-9D80F2841C70.jpeg

Nice one R-man. I bought a couple of Aussie books from that NZ seller too, which I'll post when I get back to Oz. These do pop up from time to time, but I find them in acceptable grade about once a year!

On 9/19/2018 at 4:19 PM, AJD said:

Nice one R-man. I bought a couple of Aussie books from that NZ seller too, which I'll post when I get back to Oz. These do pop up from time to time, but I find them in acceptable grade about once a year!

And, as it happens, this week was the time for this year! This issue also has a locally produced story by Paul Wheelahan on top of FH reprints. (See my journal page.)

1651942624_Rangers03Australian.jpg.3988a32e3b9723b3d75f1faf709c79c8.jpg

On 9/19/2018 at 12:02 PM, Robot Man said:

This came in the mail all the way from New Zeland. I was the only EBay bidder.   My first GA book from down under. A little beat but I’m glad to have it. It is #9 which translates to #58 in the US. 

Would like to find some more but I suspect these are almost as scarce there as they are here.

F00297A6-A665-48D5-9470-9D80F2841C70.jpeg

Here's another Firehair!

CCF01112018_0006.thumb.jpg.762219621c99da7b0afc120d0db7a50a.jpg