• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA in Australia
4 4

336 posts in this topic

Time for an obituary, I'm afraid. The 'Comics Down Under' site has a nice write-up of Paul Wheelahan (1930-2018), an Australian comic artist from the late 1940s onwards who died just after Christmas. You can see some of his work elsewhere in this thread (the Panther and Raven comics above are both Wheelahan creations, written and drawn), and here are a few more from my collection:

Panther_52.jpg.0b1e02e05de0a66e3fe1c5bb6e719ce4.jpg

ATR-22.jpg.96249e8536046fb519b62b24df706587.jpg

He also did quite a few covers and filler stories for Australian reprints of Fiction House titles:

ATR-32.jpg.fb1038efad480de48992678e38d23caa.jpg

ATR-37.jpg.ed6b9cb75493527164d116d7415f661e.jpg

I think @Duffman_Comics probably has some more to add on this subject.

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Are those actual comic books? If so, they must be pretty liberal down under...

What do you mean "down under"? :whistle:

Yeah, they're comics.  They're a smaller size.  That second comic is funny, because you look at the cover and think some pretty spicy stuff is going to be inside.  NOPE! Not one inner panel has a woman in it. :roflmao:I guess it's the whole "sex sells" philosophy.

On 5/19/2019 at 1:31 AM, Robot Man said:

Only FH cover with a flamethrower?

Well it's only partly a FH cover. Yes it's a Fight Comics issue, but by that stage of the Oz run they were mixing up the content between FH and ACG material. That cover has elements from FH books (the aircraft are from Wings covers) but the central figure isn't. I suspect it's an Oz-only cover.

On 5/28/2019 at 12:21 PM, AJD said:

Well it appears that I can't buy a comic of any description at the moment. I put in what I thought was a pretty solid snipe on this one and ended up the underbidder. But I thought I'd include it here anyway.

457341339_Supercomic13.thumb.jpg.098cffc787d254c8fc79f9aee6ec49c1.jpg

Where did this scan come from AJD?

It's not the one that was sold (it has a name and a stamp on the cover) and it ain't the one on GCD either - which means there are at least three out there.