• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA in Australia
4 4

336 posts in this topic

Sad news indeed, AJD.

One of my fondest memories is sitting at the Bar of the New Crest Hotel in 1981 with John, Paul (Panther) Wheelahan, Roger (Torkan) Fletcher, Monty (Captain Justice) Wedd, Alan (Snake) Salisbury and just listening to their stories of what the GA was like in Oz.

A really nice guy, a gentleman who will be remembered for all the right reasons.

Just came across this thread thanks for sharing pics and stories, here are a few i have managed to find over the last several years.

The annuals are both about 100 pages and are newpaper strip reprints

Annuals_zpsewqdtrqc.jpg

Buster Braddock has three different one shots, still looking to buy the other two.

aussie_zpssaxiysx3.jpg

buster%20gem_zps78scskyw.jpg

Hurricane Hawk seems fairly easy to come by (at least if you just want an issue or 4 to check out . Usually $15-$30 on ebay.

a01f9bcc-601b-4984-a59b-21b23fa31762_zpsfhpu9btl.jpg

50e5e523-d4d3-4dad-a1b5-c8d524f251f1_zpsnujfdxnm.jpg

I have a few more I will try to dig out and post. The book BONZER previously mentioned is really your best source for info that i have found. Nothing like one of the gerbers but has a number of full color illustrations of comics from the golden age through the modern age.

buster%20gem_zps78scskyw.jpg

I like the Buster Braddock in Glaciana cover. Can you tell me how much I should expect to pay for a high-grade copy, should I happen to come across one? I seldom buy non-US comics, so I don't have a good feel for fair-market values of them.

My wife is from Melbourne so I've been there several times. Of course, I hit the antique shops, comic shops and flea markets. I've yet to find any GA Australian comics of any significance. But, I have gotton a few buttons and premiums. The Phantom button belonged to her uncle and he gave it to me.

phantompin_zps19bqgz6z.jpg

Here's some GA Superman pins. One of the Argus ones recently sold on ebay pretty cheap with the membership certificate.

supeaustrailanpins_zpsbde611c6.jpg

My wife is from Melbourne so I've been there several times. Of course, I hit the antique shops, comic shops and flea markets. I've yet to find any GA Australian comics of any significance. But, I have gotton a few buttons and premiums. The Phantom button belonged to her uncle and he gave it to me.

Here's some GA Superman pins. One of the Argus ones recently sold on ebay pretty cheap with the membership certificate.

supeaustrailanpins_zpsbde611c6.jpg

Great collection of pins!

Let me get this straight.

Not only have you, you Yankee Carpetbagger Robot Man, been plundering collectables from the wide brown land, you've been pinching our women too?

This is an outrage :sumo:

Tell me, was the Phantom button the dowry/bride price? This is customary here. My own missus arrived with a "Famous First Edition Detective 27".

Like her, it wasn't highly sought, very valuable or mint, but still presented well. lol

A few more I dug out

0730150729c_zpskcqcc81t.jpg

0730150729b_zpsf1ybgdxv.jpg

my copy of Blake of the Northern Mounted, I love wrap around covers.

0730150728_zpsak7f6t2m.jpg

0730150727_zpsmwvn0iri.jpg

And while not Australian , but ones I thought you might appreciate .

From the Philippines

0730150729_zpsatbyzu37.jpg

Arsène Lupin vs SHERLOCK HOLMES in French

0730150728a_zpsa4dfgxhh.jpg

0730150730_zpsyuruuzig.jpg

Lupin-the-Third_zpsdwtg0h3v.jpg

Edited by jaydog

GREAT books jaydog :applause:

Very rare, hard to find, and relatively cheap when they are available.

The Sherlock Holmes book intrigues me. It has a Buenos Aires imprint, so is there a chance it's Spanish, not French? i.e. Argentinian?

Edited by Duffman_Comics

The Sherlock Holmes book intrigues me. It has a Buenos Aires imprint, so is there a chance it's Portuguese, not French? i.e. Brazilian?

:gossip: Argentina...

Edited by AJD

The Sherlock Holmes book intrigues me. It has a Buenos Aires imprint, so is there a chance it's Spanish, not French? i.e. Argentinian?

You are correct, Duffman +1 that's not French. I had France on the brain since Lupin was a French character.

Thanks for catching the error.

Per Wikipedia

Arsène Lupin is a fictional gentleman thief and master of disguise created by French writer Maurice Leblanc. Lupin was featured in 19 novels and 36 short stories by Leblanc, with the short stories collected into book form for a total of 24 books. The first story, "L'Arrestation d'Arsène Lupin", was published in the magazine Je sais tout on 15 July 1905.

Edited by jaydog

Last one i could find for the moment

Buck Rogers #2 Published a few weeks before Action Comics #1

f82317f7-5a45-479a-8048-c7962603a55b_zps8fpobkzm.jpg

Great comic jaydog!! I've been trying to locate some of these 1930's Australian Buck Rogers over the last decade, but to no avail. Let me know if you ever come across any!