• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA in Australia
4 4

336 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, AJD said:

Thank you!

And I had the same thought - but clearly 'Americaness' was a selling point for Archie, judging by the fact that they kept the banners at the top and bottom of the cover as well.

:gossip: Confusingly, the pence version of a nickle is 6d (sixpence) rather than 5d, as the equivalent to a dime was a shilling (1/-), which was 12 pennies. There was a small silver coin for 6d, but 5d would have been five pennies. The old currency system based on multiples of 12 and 20 ( 20 shillings = 1 pound) was tricky to do change with!

Well, a little wander around the web revealed that local calls from a public phone in Oz up until the late 50's were 2d (tuppence).

According to this payphones were modified in the late  50's to take 4d.

Yes, I am a nerd.

Oh, lovely book AJD, but in this context it's spelt "nickel" :baiting:

6 hours ago, Duffman_Comics said:

Well, a little wander around the web revealed that local calls from a public phone in Oz up until the late 50's were 2d (tuppence).

According to this payphones were modified in the late  50's to take 4d.

Yes, I am a nerd.

Oh, lovely book AJD, but in this context it's spelt "nickel" :baiting:

Mostly OT, but I remember reading that in the 1950s a bottle of Coca-Cola cost a nickel in U.S. vending machines.  The company wanted to raise the price, but thought sales would be hurt too  much if they increased it all the way to a dime.  So they began a major campaign to convince the U.S. Treasury to start minting 7 1/2 cent coins.  Not too surprisingly, they didn't succeed. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Mostly OT, but I remember reading that in the 1950s a bottle of Coca-Cola cost a nickel in U.S. vending machines.  The company wanted to raise the price, but thought sales would be hurt too  much if they increased it all the way to a dime.  So they began a major campaign to convince the U.S. Treasury to start minting 7 1/2 cent coins.  Not too surprisingly, they didn't succeed. 

Not real long ago I owned one of those nickel Coke machines. It held those small 7 oz bottles. At one time, I had beer in it. 

1 hour ago, AJD said:

Here are a couple more Australian reprints, at least as far as the stories inside goes. I can't find the covers for either of these on US editions. The Hedy book is interesting. It's an unusual size and aspect ratio, and about half the leaves are glossy paper, the rest are the usual newsprint. That's probably so they could print the 'frameable pinups' on glossy stock. See my journal (linked in the sig) to see one of them.

large.Hedy_3.jpg.b11b53e4d4d568d7027c2e624ddd8b7b.jpg

Isn't it unusual to have the price written out like that? hm

1 hour ago, AJD said:

Here are a couple more Australian reprints, at least as far as the stories inside goes. I can't find the covers for either of these on US editions. The Hedy book is interesting. It's an unusual size and aspect ratio, and about half the leaves are glossy paper, the rest are the usual newsprint. That's probably so they could print the 'frameable pinups' on glossy stock. See my journal (linked in the sig) to see one of them.

large.Hedy_3.jpg.b11b53e4d4d568d7027c2e624ddd8b7b.jpg

Pretty sure the CGC notes on this one would read 'Bondage cover - plus John Wayne b*** slapping some dude".

large.CrimeBusters19.jpg.8061aaacfc2c4af0131f2266351b4e43.jpg

You are KILLING it Andrew! :applause:Beautiful books!

Time to bump this back onto the first page until, like an antipodean Bizarro world, it sinks out of contact with the known universe again.

Here are two Tim Valour books by Australian artist John Dixon. I'll admit I bought them with flippage in mind, but when I got them in hand I decided they're going into the Oz box instead.

If you're interested, I'll post the interior of the Hitler story in my journal (linked in my sig). I like the way Dixon has added his credit to #13 as an aircrew stencil on the canopy frame.

1733158547_TimValour11.jpg.7f32ed112de74db13d593ab16df433f8.jpg

135860170_TimValour13.jpg.2e63dee6c9c65c0857be8bc668f90f62.jpg

Edited by AJD
Corrected spelling error to head off Duffman's cheap shot.

17 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Nice. What year are these?

Late 1951 or early 1952, I think. There were three different TV series, with different numbered starts, and the GCD galleries mix them up. The first series ran from #1 to #38 from 1949 to 1952, the second series (of which these are from) started with #10 (!) in 1951, so they overlapped.