• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2011 Collecting Goals

43 posts in this topic

I have already slowed way down on purchases and last year my two big acquisitions were Tim Sale pieces that had been in the works for some time (A Batman/Catwoman commission and inks on an unpublished Batman splash page that I purchased in SD 4 years ago)

This year, I am hoping to get a commission piece I have been waiting on for going on 6 years. Luckily, I know the artist well and its not a "flake who disappeared with my money" story. I also have one more prepaid commission that I am hoping will appear by years end.

I am more likely this year to selectively sell a few pieces I don't consider core to my more focused collecting goals and then decide if I want to pull the trigger on one nice piece for the collection. In that vein I may part with a couple of cool preliminary pieces by the likes of Frank Cho, Brian Stelfreeze, Mike Kaluta and Mark Schultz plus pages by McFarlane, Texiera and Sears and even a complete 10 page Archie Large art story from 1959 by Dan DeCarlo.

Mostly I want to have fewer things languishing in portfolios and more stuff on the wall for me to appreciate on a more frequent basis. If I don't love it enough to display it, how much do I really love it?

One of my goals is not to buy a piece of OA after a night at the bars. Seriously. Last year I came home from a bachelor party and ending up buying a Quasar page. I woke up the next morning, checked my email, and got the notice that I won.

One of my goals is not to buy a piece of OA after a night at the bars. Seriously. Last year I came home from a bachelor party and ending up buying a Quasar page. I woke up the next morning, checked my email, and got the notice that I won.

Not too bad if the worse thing you woke up next to was an email. (thumbs u

Although I've wound-down my collecting habit about 18 months ago (and been selling-off a big chunk of my collection), I'm still drawn back into the hobby by the surfacing of some long-time-grails.

First to appear was the cover painting to Gold Key's SPACE FAMILY ROBINSON, LOST IN SPACE # 25.

Next was Al Feldstein's EC cover art to WEIRD FANTASY # 14.

Definitely two 'keepers' for me.

Right now, I'm in the process of collecting STEEL CLAW and KELLY's EYE episodes from the UK comic-book VALIANT (which saw publication over here throughout the 1960s and 70s).

This will probably mean Jack Sh*t to an American audience, but here I'm indulging in two strips I enjoyed following during the mid-1960s.

Examples are in plentiful supply over here (basically, a warehouse full of artwork was bought up several years ago). The pages I buy are relatively inexpensive, so I don't really have a problem funding new acquisitions.

I'll post a few example pages, so you'll know what the I'm talking about:

25tzqt0.jpg

KELLY'S EYE by Francisco Solano Lopez

dm8dtt.jpg

THE STEEL CLAW by Jesus Blasco

Brian Bolland fans may be interested to hear that the artist was also a fellow-VALIANT reader.

Quote from the Bolland interview in TRUE BRIT;

" . . . the first British comics I started buying as a boy, from the age of 12 or 13 in '64 was a comic called VALIANT and that had in it a strip called THE STEEL CLAW drawn by Jesus Blasco, a Spanish artist . . . very, very much (into his work). I think he used photos quite a bit, which was rare at the time, but it looked good."

My 2011 goals include trying to figure out how I can possibly pay my parent's back the money I had to borrow from them this week in order to afford one of my grails. :)

I'd LOVE to pick up a Romita Sr Gwen page or something from his Romance series work this year, but I doubt it will be in the cards. One of these days......

I'm very excited about the sequel to Old Man Logan being published this year, and am hoping to pick up some cool pieces.

Tommy

The goal is to pick up one, or possibly two of the following:

1. Perez: New Teen Titans Cover

2. Tim Sale: Batman Long Halloween Splash

3. Hellblazer Cover: Bradstreet, or if I don't buy a house, McKean :eek:

4. Buscema Conan Cover, preferably inked by John as well

5. Jusko Painting

Love these threads as they help you FOCUS... :makepoint:

I'd really like to slow my spending down this year and limit myself to about 3 pieces as I need to do some saving. I am finishing off a time payment soon that started in 2010 so I am not countin that.

The 3 I would like to stick to are

1. Another Horror Cover.

2. A piece featuring a villain I don't yet have.

3. Another Indiana Jones piece.

I'm hoping if I slip up I only get a 4th piece and not a 14th piece this. I'd like to stay disciplined but you never know what will come along.

Well I can't tell if I am on track or not. I finished 2 deals that were started in 2010 so I don't count them. I put the horror cover I REALLY wanted on time payment. I just bought a cover featuring a Spidey villain I don't have an example of, but it wasn't the villain I was really trying to get an example of but hey it fits the list. So that's 2 of the 3. I just have feeling there will wind up being a few more that weren't on thelost come the end of the year.

Hey all

I'm starting late on my list, as my money's tied up till may. Here's my list for 2011:

1. Art Adams X-men page - on its' way!

2. Jim Lee cover or DPS

3. Zeck GI Joe cover (I have one in mind!)

4. X-men deadly genesis 1 cover by silvestri

5. Platt cover or DPS

That's it! Let's see how it goes

Greg

Going to take it easy this year i think. Still have some commissions to finish up from last year.

Still looking for the covers in my sig which i'm not expecting to show up.

Will buy any Batgirl Special pages.

David Petersen and Jeremy Bastian con sketch

that's it.

All of last year's commissions are in hand with exception of 1.

Got another Jeremy Bastian con sketch-COMPLETE

I'd really like to slow my spending down this year and limit myself to about 3 pieces as I need to do some saving. I am finishing off a time payment soon that started in 2010 so I am not countin that.

The 3 I would like to stick to are

1. Another Horror Cover.

2. A piece featuring a villain I don't yet have.

3. Another Indiana Jones piece.

I'm hoping if I slip up I only get a 4th piece and not a 14th piece this. I'd like to stay disciplined but you never know what will come along.

Well I think I just bought my final piece of the year. I did ok with staying to my list. I nailed somethings on the head others failed miserably. I didn't slow spending as much as I wanted to. I didn't wind up getting 14 pieces as I feared. I wound up with 7 new ones which I was shooting for only 4 but not too overboard. I did get a horror cover I really wanted, so that was a success. I wound up with a few pieces with villains I didn't have yet so that was a success and a failure as I overspent since I bought multiple pieces. I failed at obtaining a new Indiana Jones piece. Although I discovered an lost Indy piece this year but I don't know I'll ever be able to knock it loose.

My #1 goal is the same as last year, to acquire a true "cornerstone" piece for my collection, a legitimate A+ quality, best in class Grail piece with a price tag to match. I came very close to last year as the underbidder for two such items (the Charlotte's Web cover art and Gil Elvgren's iconic "Riding High" painting), so I'm hoping to get over the hump in 2011.

Other than that, I'd like to get a good '60/'70s vintage ASM cover (Romita or Kane) and a good '70s/'80s vintage Uncanny X-Men cover (Byrne or P. Smith) at some point, as well as another Elvgren and Vargas painting. I also hope to not spend too much on pieces that are not high want list priorities.

Getting a true cornerstone piece - yes, two of Gil Elvgren's all-time best paintings

Getting another Elvgren - yes, two ("Anchors-A-Wow" and "Skirting the Issue")

Getting another Vargas - yes, one (the March 1965 Playboy cover art)

Getting a '60s Romita or Kane ASM cover - yes, the ASM #83 cover (Romita)

Getting a Byrne or Smith Uncanny X-Men cover - no

Not spending too much on other stuff - no, though I did pick up a lot of other things that I'm very happy with

I would say that it's been my most successful year of OA collecting to date, though I had to spend multiples of my usual annual budget to get there. I'll almost certainly be taking it a lot easier next year...I hope, anyway. :eek:

I would say that it's been my most successful year of OA collecting to date, though I had to spend multiples of my usual annual budget to get there. I'll almost certainly be taking it a lot easier next year...I hope, anyway. :eek:

lol I've read that exact sentence of yours at least 3 times over the past few years.

I dont set checklist goals; I understand why people do but I want to keep my mind and options open.

Yup, I'm the same way. Glad to see checklists works for others. Personally, I don't want to put pressure on myself like that. It's a sure way for me to overspend on something in order to make a self-imposed deadline. I'd rather take it as it comes. Less potential disappointment and frustration, too.

But, I'm very happy with how the year turned out. :)

Congrats! To everyone else, as well.