• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2011 Collecting Goals

43 posts in this topic

I'd really like to slow my spending down this year and limit myself to about 3 pieces as I need to do some saving. I am finishing off a time payment soon that started in 2010 so I am not countin that.

The 3 I would like to stick to are

1. Another Horror Cover.

2. A piece featuring a villain I don't yet have.

3. Another Indiana Jones piece.

I'm hoping if I slip up I only get a 4th piece and not a 14th piece this. I'd like to stay disciplined but you never know what will come along.

I would also like to take my spending in a bit. For 2011, I would just like to receive a some commissions which are in progress (5 total) plus one other that I am only in the very beginning of possibly setting up.

Other than that I really don't see myself getting to carried away.

Last year was the least amount I spent on artwork since I started actively collecting comic art. There are only two factors that helped me curb my spending:

Everything I think is decent is anywhere from 2 - 10 times what I feel it's worth

Can't find anything I'm really passionate about I don't already have an example of.

I know that doesn't help most of you but it's the only way I managed to stop spending on CA.

If I had to pick some things I'd like to find this year or any time in the future:

1 - Nice Winsor McCay Political/Editorial Cartoon

2 - It would be great to find a decent Franklin Booth that won't cost me my left jewel

3 - A nice JC Coll that won't cost me my right jewel

4 - Pretty much any nice illustration art, preferably pen & ink but open to paintings too.

I guess I am going to be going the opposite direction and probably paying for for a couple of years. I turn 40 this year and have been only collecting original art for about five years. I plan on getting a series of the Amazing Spider-man covers sketched with different characters and picking up some CGC certifications on each. Besides that I hope to hit up a few key artists and make their sketch lists for commissions at the three shows I plan on attending.

After that, I plan to back it down to one show a year and one to two pieces. I'm calling it my mid-life art crisis. :thumbsup:

2010 was a rough year personally and financially so i hope to just get back on my feel this year and maybe get ahead a little in order to buy a couple of pages. I've had my eye on a couple of pieces over 2010 and i'm hoping they'll still be around in a couple of months in order to take a run at them.

^^^ sorry to hear that Shane, good luck.

For my own part I really don't believe in setting precise timelines in any of my collecting goals... I believe in waiting for the right pitch rather than swinging on the first pitch, it just works better for me. I will just be trying for the best pieces I can, same as always :)

My #1 goal is the same as last year, to acquire a true "cornerstone" piece for my collection, a legitimate A+ quality, best in class Grail piece with a price tag to match. I came very close to last year as the underbidder for two such items (the Charlotte's Web cover art and Gil Elvgren's iconic "Riding High" painting), so I'm hoping to get over the hump in 2011.

Other than that, I'd like to get a good '60/'70s vintage ASM cover (Romita or Kane) and a good '70s/'80s vintage Uncanny X-Men cover (Byrne or P. Smith) at some point, as well as another Elvgren and Vargas painting. I also hope to not spend too much on pieces that are not high want list priorities.

Gene

Going to take it easy this year i think. Still have some commissions to finish up from last year.

Still looking for the covers in my sig which i'm not expecting to show up.

Will buy any Batgirl Special pages.

David Petersen and Jeremy Bastian con sketch

that's it.

I am still on the hunt for any Death/Return of Superman pages. I would really love to add another cover from this run to my collection.

I am going to try very hard to get an Adam Hughes sketch this year and would like to get a J. Scott Campbell sketch as well.

That's not to much to ask. :)

In 2009, I slowly began a new hobby of seeking out diverse artists I like and having them do commissions of my favorite (and most underrated) Silver Age team -- the Original Suicide Squad (created by Bob Kanigher and Andru & Esposito) fighting various monsters in interesting settings.

Here is what I have so far...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=105493

I hope to grow this gallery in 2011 -- funded mostly be selling off comics from my collection.

Bill

Thinks already in the works I want to wrap up as soon as possible:

1) Get a 9 page HELLBLAZER sequence

2) Get a 16 page short story from an anthology

3) A PREACHER page

4) HELLBLAZER page from issue 11

5) Seal the deal on some OA used on a T.V. show

And I'd like to get one piece from Kate Macdowell :headbang:

2010 was supposed to be a quiet year for me, but turned out to be the most costly. I established a monthly budget, and quickly ignored it as some killer pieces became available.

I spent more than ever and I can't imagine I'll possibly spend more this year, but you never know. :whatev:

In 2009, I slowly began a new hobby of seeking out diverse artists I like and having them do commissions of my favorite (and most underrated) Silver Age team -- the Original Suicide Squad (created by Bob Kanigher and Andru & Esposito) fighting various monsters in interesting settings.

Here is what I have so far...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=105493

I hope to grow this gallery in 2011 -- funded mostly be selling off comics from my collection.

Bill

\

That's a really fun gallery! (thumbs u

My goal is to somehow convince my friend Royd Burgoyne to let me accompany him on one of his various visits to the homes of my favorite comic artists of all-time!!! :D

BUT, since that's not gonna happen, I'll settle for having a big sketch haul at Heroes Con this year. If I can, say, walk away with a Mark Brooks and a Stephane Roux, I'll be a happy man!

casl

P.S.--> If you read this, Royd...I'm only HALF-kiddin'! ;)

I'd like to focus on pre-'00s Catwoman pages. Especially those pages with word balloons, and her early 80's throwback costume.

For instance, last year I was psyched to pickup a few Catskill comic's Tom Mandrake pages, from the Batman 390's, featuring Catwoman. Its helpful when artists unload their vintage art.

Also, it would be nice to pickup a Shelly Moldoff Catwoman, or similar pieces by Batman's Golden and Silver age artists.