• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Elflord B/W from 1980

33 posts in this topic

I have never seen a copy of Samurai #1 or Elflord V2 #1. I hope to find one someday.

Here is what it looks like as a reprint in Samurai Compilation Book One.

And I liked the early artwork better than what came out later. Most probably because Blair was able to take his time with the Nightwynde material versus being under a publication deadline with the Aircel material.

I have to agree the early art work was much better. In addition, I wish Dale Keown drew the whole series the 2nd time around. You can see the difference in the issues in which Dale Keown contributed in compared to the other artists.

scan0001-3.jpgscan0002.jpg

]scan0017-4.jpgscan0018.jpg

I have to admit, Dale Keown made a huge difference on this title when it comes to the art.

If you check his work on Dragonforce, it actually makes the stories more fun to read because of his art.

1541150-01_super.jpg

Just like when Blair took over the creative work on Warlock 5, the artwork just went to hell compared to the earlier issues.

Before BB:

317781-20696-124092-1-warlock-5_super.jpg

With BB:

317786-20696-124093-1-warlock-5_super.jpg

On 1/31/2011 at 8:22 PM, juggernaut said:

Elflord is listed in the Overstreet Price Guide, it would be a great start to determine value.

1003710-001.jpg

992143-003.jpg

992143-002.jpg

992143-001.jpg

Very nice!  I have a WINDBLADE #1 in what I would say is a solid NM 9.4 condition and signed by the artist Barry Blair! :)

On 1/10/2019 at 12:38 PM, Toombs said:
On 1/31/2011 at 5:22 PM, juggernaut said:

Elflord is listed in the Overstreet Price Guide, it would be a great start to determine value.

1003710-001.jpg

Yes, makes absolutely no sense for Overstreet to have the first Elflord series listed in his guide, and yet not the Windblade issue.  ???  

I assume it's just a matter of time and if somebody ever gets around to giving him the heads up as I believe he also used to never had the first Elflord series in his guide before.  :taptaptap:

Just checked the census population report and surprisingly, there have only been 3 copies graded to date.  :whatthe:

The CGC 7.5 copy posted above along with 2 other CGC 9.0 graded copies.

I thought there would have been a lot more copies than just these 3 since this is a pretty recent book.  hm

On 1/10/2019 at 12:38 PM, Toombs said:
On 1/31/2011 at 5:22 PM, juggernaut said:

992143-003.jpg

992143-002.jpg

992143-001.jpg

Very nice!  I have a WINDBLADE #1 in what I would say is a solid NM 9.4 condition and signed by the artist Barry Blair! :)

Oh wow, it looks like Juggie posted these pics from way back in 2011. 

And yet after all this time, his CGC 9.0 graded copy of Elflord 1 is still tied for 1 of 2 highest graded copies with only 3 graded copies in total of this particular issue.  In addition, his graded copies of both Elflord 2 and 3 are still the only copies graded to this point in time.  :whatthe:

Makes me wonder if this is due to extreme rarity of finding these books or due to perceived limited demand for them that nobody bothers to slab them, or some combination of both.  Personally, I think it's probably both, myself, but leaning a lot more towards the rarity of supply side of the equation.  hm  (shrug)

I sold all those books ages ago. Since, I have sold 2 more Elflord #1 and 1 more Windblade #1.  I have not seen or found any other numbers for Elflord in the wild. 

A lot of the bronze/copper books I graded years ago are still the highest on the census with very little graded ever since. (ie. Quadrant, Visions, Maus, Paragon Illustrated and Publications, Femforce, Elfquest, Creatures of id, Grafik Musique, Graphique Musique, etc....)   All were sold years ago. 

5 hours ago, Juggernaut said:

I sold all those books ages ago. Since, I have sold 2 more Elflord #1 and 1 more Windblade #1.  I have not seen or found any other numbers for Elflord in the wild. 

A lot of the bronze/copper books I graded years ago are still the highest on the census with very little graded ever since. (ie. Quadrant, Visions, Maus, Paragon Illustrated and Publications, Femforce, Elfquest, Creatures of id, Grafik Musique, Graphique Musique, etc....)   All were sold years ago. 

Good to know.  (thumbsu

I guess you must had brought those as just a speculative buy then and sold them off when you figured it was an opportune time?  Or did you simply lose interest in all of that B&W independent genre which most of these books appears to be from?  hm

Was there actually much demand for these books when it came time for you to sell them off?  Hopefully there was, especially since they were slabbed and graded, with the Elflord 2 & 3 being the only graded copies out there?   :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

I was going through a divorce so I had to sell them with my Golden Age Canadian Whites. Elflord was not a speculative buy as I collected anything Canadian. There was demand but not as much it is now. The hobby didn't know the rarity of the Elflord books at the time. 

Over last 2 to 3 years I have been on the cgc boards as much as I use to....  I STILL have a lot of interesting books to show and information to give.  So, I will start showing some new stuff soon.

On 1/16/2019 at 12:32 PM, Juggernaut said:

I was going through a divorce so I had to sell them with my Golden Age Canadian Whites. Elflord was not a speculative buy as I collected anything Canadian. There was demand but not as much it is now. The hobby didn't know the rarity of the Elflord books at the time. 

Over last 2 to 3 years I have been on the cgc boards as much as I use to....  I STILL have a lot of interesting books to show and information to give.  So, I will start showing some new stuff soon.

You should start by getting your old account back, newb.

:baiting:

:D