• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the 5 top Comic Book Pedigrees?

168 posts in this topic

My opinion for SA peds

Curator

Pacific coast

Northland

Mass

White Mountain

Basically I concur with your list but in all fairness maybe we should consider some of the 'newer' pedigrees coming to market. From what I've seen I think the Rocky Mountain should be included but I can't figure out which of your listed 5 to replace.

Possibly the White Mountain.

My opinion for SA peds

Curator

Pacific coast

Northland

Mass

White Mountain

Basically I concur with your list but in all fairness maybe we should consider some of the 'newer' pedigrees coming to market. From what I've seen I think the Rocky Mountain should be included but I can't figure out which of your listed 5 to replace.

Really? White Mountain is unmatched in SA pedigrees for breadth, depth and quality. Some of the PC and Curator books might be nicer, but White Mountain books are still pretty sweet and the collection encompasses such incredible depth in addition to quality. Northland and Mass, in my mind, aren't even in the same conversation.

Rocky Mountain is nice (i've been chasing them), but aren't the keys a little weak?

My opinion for SA peds

Curator

Pacific coast

Northland

Mass

White Mountain

Really? White Mountain is unmatched in SA pedigrees for breadth, depth and quality. Some of the PC and Curator books might be nicer, but White Mountain books are still pretty sweet and the collection encompasses such incredible depth in addition to quality. Northland and Mass, in my mind, aren't even in the same conversation.

Rocky Mountain is nice (i've been chasing them), but aren't the keys a little weak?

Did the Rocky Mountain have keys? Any keys older than 1965 that is.

My opinion for SA peds

Curator

Pacific coast

Northland

Mass

White Mountain

So far i consider RM to be close to the Oakland and Western Penn collections. Lots outstanding books but mostly later SA and an iconsistancy in qop. Has the RM collection been fully released?

My opinion for SA peds

Curator

Pacific coast

Northland

Mass

White Mountain

RM is comprised mostly of post-'65 books. If nothing else, WM has some of the finest examples of pre-hero Marvels around. That alone eclipses the RM books in my eyes

My opinion for SA peds

Curator

Pacific coast

Northland

Mass

White Mountain

Did the Rocky Mountain have keys? Any keys older than 1965 that is.

there's a Daredevil #1 (8.5) which I knew about and after a search, it looks like there's an Amazing Fantasy #15 (7.0)

so, not surprisingly, we've done this before:

Follow up: Rank the Silver/Bronze Pedis

My answer then:

1. Pacific Coast*: Best combination of quality and breadth. The outrageous later DCs that have been in Heritage's recent auctions are perfect PC books to me. Titles that a lot of the SA pedigrees don't include in grades that are unheard of in general from books of the period.

2. White Mountain*: Great quality, amazing breadth. My single most wanted book is from WM, by the way. The DD#1. The FF#1 is pretty high on that list too.

3. Western Penn*: High quality and, from what I gather, pretty deep.

4. Curator*: Insane quality.

5. Massachusetts: Seems like a fat pile of early Marvel 9.4s and 9.2s to me. I don't know enough detail to rate it any higher.

6. Bethlehem*: Too many VFs to rate any higher, WAY too many books to rate any lower.

7. Boston: Phenomenal quality, nice DC representation, not early enough to rank any higher (unless I'm mistaken and there are a bunch of keys out there.)

8. Green River*: Really nice books, not terribly deep/important.

9. Northland*. Nice books, but I don't really know enough about it at all beyond the books that I've seen, so I stick it here.

I'll repeat it here, since I like to repeat it often- I'm looking for ANY and ALL White Mountain Daredevils.

so, not surprisingly, we've done this before:

Follow up: Rank the Silver/Bronze Pedis

My answer then:

1. Pacific Coast*: Best combination of quality and breadth. The outrageous later DCs that have been in Heritage's recent auctions are perfect PC books to me. Titles that a lot of the SA pedigrees don't include in grades that are unheard of in general from books of the period.

2. White Mountain*: Great quality, amazing breadth. My single most wanted book is from WM, by the way. The DD#1. The FF#1 is pretty high on that list too.

3. Western Penn*: High quality and, from what I gather, pretty deep.

4. Curator*: Insane quality.

5. Massachusetts: Seems like a fat pile of early Marvel 9.4s and 9.2s to me. I don't know enough detail to rate it any higher.

6. Bethlehem*: Too many VFs to rate any higher, WAY too many books to rate any lower.

7. Boston: Phenomenal quality, nice DC representation, not early enough to rank any higher (unless I'm mistaken and there are a bunch of keys out there.)

8. Green River*: Really nice books, not terribly deep/important.

9. Northland*. Nice books, but I don't really know enough about it at all beyond the books that I've seen, so I stick it here.

I'll repeat it here, since I like to repeat it often- I'm looking for ANY and ALL White Mountain Daredevils.

The Northland books suffer in page quality when compared to the Curator and Pacific Coast books.