• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 121 Club

487 posts in this topic

On 5/25/2018 at 11:33 PM, scooter99 said:

I bought a mid grade copy and a beater about 6 years ago and they both have gone up nearly tenfold on what I paid for them.  Not sure of the price bump when Arnold played Mr. Freeze.

Based on the movie, I would have expected that the book would have dropped big time after the way Arnold played Mr. Freeze. lol 

The movie gave the book attention after years of neglect. Mr. Freeze was a regular on the Adam West TV show, and without that happening, the character would most likely have faded into obscurity. It used to be a really scarce book too. My first copy was a beater from Gary Dolgoff, and I was happy to have that.

Edited by Larryw7

Im a little biased since I have a solid 5.5 copy but I think the value of this book is due to

1. Being a true first appearance (not a first SA appearance).

2. Being a lot older than the next big first appearance (Poison Ivy).

3. Being priced as a semi-golden age key (first appearances of major Batman villains in the golden age are through the roof) and Freeze doesn't miss the cutoff by much and while not as rare as first riddler is still infinitely rarer than any other Batman rogue first appearance in the silver age.

Put all those together and I think valuations are fair in that its still much cheaper than say a first riddler from the golden age but still far more expensive than a first Poison Ivy.

1 minute ago, Rezin1234 said:

Im a little biased since I have a solid 5.5 copy but I think the value of this book is due to

1. Being a true first appearance (not a first SA appearance).

2. Being a lot older than the next big first appearance (Poison Ivy).

3. Being priced as a semi-golden age key (first appearances of major Batman villains in the golden age are through the roof) and Freeze doesn't miss the cutoff by much and while not as rare as first riddler is still infinitely rarer than any other Batman rogue first appearance in the silver age.

Put all those together and I think valuations are fair in that its still much cheaper than say a first riddler from the golden age but still far more expensive than a first Poison Ivy.

Batman 121 is more expensive than some GA Batman villain first appearances too. Batman 63 (Killer Moth) and Detective Comics 184 (Firefly) come to mind, but I think Mr. Freeze is a more important villian. Freeze is easily a top 10 Batman villain while the other two are not.

8 minutes ago, solm4st3r said:

Batman 121 is more expensive than some GA Batman villain first appearances too. Batman 63 (Killer Moth) and Detective Comics 184 (Firefly) come to mind, but I think Mr. Freeze is a more important villian. Freeze is easily a top 10 Batman villain while the other two are not.

I was referring to main villains who most people have a decent level of knowledge. No disrespect to Moth and Firefly but they are hardly the names that the mass public has heard of. Mr. Freeze on the other hand while not A list is comfortably in the second tier of batman villains if not in the first tier.