• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Commission Collecting Thread
15 15

2,873 posts in this topic

Check out Comicartfans, JK Snyder III started posting some of his artwork.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=185837

Not sure how many are familiar with his art but he does some great stuff. Looks like he will be posting soon about taking commissions. I highly recommend getting something from him.

6pGD7Dqp_1110171950311gpadd.jpg

440LzQ5x_2408171954091gpadd.jpg

This thread hasn't been used for a long time and I missed it. So, I'm bumping it by showing my latest commission.

---

Picked up a little something today that I've been waiting for (more or less patiently) for five years.

The Shadow and Margo Lane as the perk for my backing of the Kickstarter for "Starstruck: Old Proldiers Never Die." The KS was funded in May of 2013, but the book required a lot more work than expected, took longer as a consequence, and cost more.

As tough as Elaine and Michael found the row to hoe, I felt that we were informed of the progress on a regular enough basis and the resulting book is gorgeous and a fun read.

Once the book was done, Micheal could start on the commission perks. Logically, he did the simpler and Starstuck centered ones first. Mine was neither of these. I was glad to hear from him that he enjoyed doing it and showing it to visitors. I love what he produced for me.

Click the link to see the progress of the commission and larger images.
The Shadow and Margo Lane by Michael Kaluta Comic Art

My first digital commission and it is strangely satisfying considering I have no physical art to show for it other than the original sketch by Sam Kieth. Ronda Pattison did a wonderful job. She was also the colorist Sam chose when he remastered the Maxx series.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1465418

Julie.jpg

Edited by Oddball

Haven't done a commission in a LONG time, but got the bug when I say some art by Christopher Cayco.  After checking out his YOUTUBE CHANNEL I could tell he was no slouch and getting this done wouldn't be a problem. And it wasn't. About 14 days from the first email contact to art in hand. He definitely earns 5 not-so-nice thumbs up  

LINK TO VIDEO OF COMMISSION BEING DRAWN

cayco-preacher.jpg

This is my first (and probably only) NSFW piece but it was over a year in the making and Mike Choi knocked it out of the park.  It was also a piece that took a few twists and turns to get it to the finish line and I wanted to share.

Venomized Mary Jane,  Oil on Wood

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1495783&GSub=188630

Edited by Sooners151

At the recent Gothenburg Book Fair swedish manga artist Natalia Batista found time to do this drawing of one of the characters from her three-part fantasy graphic novel series Sword Princess Amaltea

812083800_Do6-0ebW4AIpHqP1.jpg.17d2eead81fa3c3b57004b5381bc7ccd.jpg

It is published in the U.S. by Tokyo Pop and well worth checking out. Click on the picture to see a bigger scan in my CAF gallery.

Hello! I just stumbled upon this thread and love it- some incredible stuff here. I am new to OA collecting but a long time comic collector. When I started looking around at art being an x-men fan and preferring the full page (covers splashes) I have not found any published pieces available and within my budget that I have purchased yet. That being said I have picked up a few commission pieces so far and love them two are below- and I have a few more that next time they are out I will share.

I do have a question though. Now that I am accumulating a few pieces and can not frame and display them all- what is the best way to store them? Also what is the best way to contact a creator to get a commission done? (I have only bought secondary market)

Thanks and I would love to hear your opinions!

the first one of wolverine and colossus is Nate Stockman and the second is a jam Storm piece by Billy Tucci and Matt Flint

4DCBE7A4-D9C3-4D51-A35E-16B592BD77FB.jpeg

60830321-D750-4BDC-893C-CCC065194C3D.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Hello! I just stumbled upon this thread and love it- some incredible stuff here. I am new to OA collecting but a long time comic collector. When I started looking around at art being an x-men fan and preferring the full page (covers splashes) I have not found any published pieces available and within my budget that I have purchased yet. That being said I have picked up a few commission pieces so far and love them two are below- and I have a few more that next time they are out I will share.

I do have a question though. Now that I am accumulating a few pieces and can not frame and display them all- what is the best way to store them? Also what is the best way to contact a creator to get a commission done? (I have only bought secondary market)

Thanks and I would love to hear your opinions!

the first one of wolverine and colossus is Nate Stockman and the second is a jam Storm piece by Billy Tucci and Matt Flint

4DCBE7A4-D9C3-4D51-A35E-16B592BD77FB.jpeg

60830321-D750-4BDC-893C-CCC065194C3D.jpeg

I think a lot of people here use Itoya portfolio's you can get at an art supply store.

Since I like to look at my stuff more often than just from the portfolio's, I will make large photocopies of some things and leave them around for casual looking. I also have some of those sleeves you can get at conventions and put a few in them which I usually keep behind the desk where I live so I can look at them in greater detail. That way, I get to rotate my stuff. 

On 10/20/2018 at 10:21 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I think a lot of people here use Itoya portfolio's you can get at an art supply store.

Since I like to look at my stuff more often than just from the portfolio's, I will make large photocopies of some things and leave them around for casual looking. I also have some of those sleeves you can get at conventions and put a few in them which I usually keep behind the desk where I live so I can look at them in greater detail. That way, I get to rotate my stuff. 

thanks!

Batman and Spectre commission, by Patric Reynolds. Lots of great communication during the process, including multiple thumbnail layouts. -Bob

[Note: Randy Bowen sculpture used as reference on the Batman.] 

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1506578

fullsizeoutput_798c.jpeg

Edited by Sideshow Bob
Bowen credit

3 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Has anyone here ever sold their commissioned pieces?    How do you typically price them?

Unless by a true top tier artist or an absolutely stellar piece (judged objectively), less than you paid. Significantly less. I sold some at auction through clink and they can be painful. But the value of commissioning and owning almost all of them was worth it. You cannot ask the same amount if the artist accepts commissions as most would rather just get their own for that price. It really is a case by case basis though. I have 10-20 on my wall in frames that would likely get me my money back but the other 50+ maybe returned half of their investment. Commissions are a poor investment in the comic art game, one of the worst maybe even.