• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Commission Collecting Thread
15 15

2,868 posts in this topic

On 10/23/2018 at 4:08 PM, Wolverinex said:

Has anyone here ever sold their commissioned pieces?    How do you typically price them?

I think the best you can expect is 40% of what you paid. At least, that's what I tell my family.

There are exceptions in both directions based on character and artist, but often times they are too personal to be commercial.

My "L'il Legion" by Yale Stewart will never pay off as an investment, but I really enjoy it.

image.png.45c85510dab3bb31bf31c297374468b2.png

on the other hand this Shadow piece might be worth about what I paid for it because Kaluta doesn't produce a lot and the character is strongly associated with him (at least if you are of a certain age).

image.png.c7e853042aa59bac9308d8392a0ef791.png

Click the image to see a bigger picture.

Edited by alxjhnsn

20 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Has anyone here ever sold their commissioned pieces?    How do you typically price them?

I have sold a few from my collection.  I have been fortunate to get several times what I paid for 2 smaller pieces, but I took a loss (knowingly, due to dissatisfaction with the piece) on a full size. 

My advice is to check ebay sold listings, if the artist is a known name, you should be able to see what similar pieces sell for.  If not a known name, you may have trouble recouping your costs. 

For this years halloween commission I suggested the idea that Sabrina Spellman and Elvira should go on a road trip (in Elvira's 1958 Ford Thunderbird Macabre Mobile) to Bill Galvan and this is the result. Shades of Thelma & Louise, I think.

elvira_sabrina_liten.jpg.3314d9e691982d95a8c8a6d6c1d6a312.jpg

Click on the picture to see a larger scan in my Bill Galvan gallery on CAF.

This was an unused cover by CP Wilson. He thought he rendered too much in black which may have gotten in the way of colors so he started over and the second piece ended up being the published cover.  I commissioned Charles to go ahead and complete his first version and then I commissioned Arkham Dreams colorist Ronda Pattison to finish it. 

84446F52-E642-4E0B-9310-EBAFE61BF407.png

4C9280DA-F8F2-4B1A-B8EA-41B0226D5143.jpeg

On 11/21/2018 at 8:58 PM, Oddball said:

This was an unused cover by CP Wilson. He thought he rendered too much in black which may have gotten in the way of colors so he started over and the second piece ended up being the published cover.  I commissioned Charles to go ahead and complete his first version and then I commissioned Arkham Dreams colorist Ronda Pattison to finish it. 

I was wondering if you had the orignal colored, or a blue-line copy colored for a double-display item?

18 hours ago, Pirate said:

I usually let the artist be the artist on my commissions

I used to do that too, until I realized after getting back one, that the artist may not know a subject as well as I did and superimpose a rendition which was based on his/her guess and that would be at odds with what the character represented either in general, or to me. So, I usually bring along collections of back stories to let the artist thumb through for familiarity, and then explain in some detail what I want. I do not do things like tell the artist where to position hands and feet, like some people. But if I am looking for an image of the character throwing bolts of energy, or eating a slice of pizza, or wearing a particular variation of a costume, I will say something.

For the Phantom Pherret commission I posted, the artist originally was drawing a ferret walking on all fours in a costume, instead of an animated animal like Bugs Bunny. So I stopped her, paid her some extra money because she had been working in good faith and my interest was apparently not communicated properly, gave her more information, and asked her to start over. She deserved the extra money because it was my fault not hers.

Edited by Rick2you2

Christmas! I have a sub-theme centered on the non-existent Sugar and Spike 100. The main series went to 98 (in the US). In 92, DC issued #99 (DC Silver Age Classics Sugar and Spike 99), but there has never been a 100th issue.

To fill the gap and to honor, Sheldon Mayer's most famous characters, I've commissioned a few 100th issue covers. I try to find artists with an all-ages feel and have them create the cover. Sometimes I participate a lot (Fred Hembecks' were I had a very specific idea that he nailed) and sometimes very little (Katie Cook where I just asked for her Gronk characters with S&S).

This Christmas, Kathy arranged a tribute cover for Sugar and Spike #100 with Chris Giarrusso and Chris crushed it. He has a real feel for S&S and even recognized that that their dialog is not understood by adults and is represented by a dialog bubble that differs from the one that adults use.

The story is a crossover where our troublesome toddlers manage to get G-Man's magic cape and run away with it. G-Man and his friends are in hot pursuit.

Thanks to both Kathy and Chris for the wonderful cover.

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1518829

BTW, Kathy said that Chris was easy to work with; that's not always the case on commissions. Thanks again, Chris.

Chris (click to embiggen):
image.png.25569558940a9ec65acf1dd5cd1072fe.png

Previously on this theme (click image to embiggen):
Katie Cook                         Fred Hembeck
image.png.09bbf430f35e40b22029f6b64363a9c1.png   image.png.0547723044a093c76748db7906c8ecc7.png

Edited by alxjhnsn

A late arriving Christmas present - LSH vs. Universo by John Watson

I became familiar with John's work through Aidan Lacy's Re-Legion series (a CAF gallery worth a visit) and through a painting in Miki Annamanthadoo's collection. Kathy had him create a painting for me based on a list of characters of interest (villains and heroes) and SA costumes.

C2illP2U_0201192141431gpadd.jpg

On 11/22/2018 at 6:28 AM, Oddball said:

And Ronda just completed the companion piece for this. Day and Night versions.

29EE4B4F-6209-4F4E-8074-F551A385526B.jpeg