• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Commission Collecting Thread
15 15

2,863 posts in this topic

I got this 8" x 11" Vega commission from Jamie Jones:

Vega_Jones.jpg

I commissioned Rick Parker for an inked 8" x 11" Vega and got the original pencil sketch:

Vega_Parker_pencil.jpg

The blue line inked version:

Vega_Parker_ink.jpg

And the color print version:

Vega_Parker_color.jpg

On top of that, I also got an extra Vega pencil sketch!  What a cool guy!

Vega_Extra_Parker.jpg

Edited by Benedict Judas Hel

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Several weeks ago, I posted a pencil sketch by Sy Barry of the original Phantom Stranger from the early 1950's. From what I can tell, he is the only surviving artist from that period who worked on the book. So, when he agreed to do commissions again, I jumped. After he finished the pencil sketch, the first shot, below, I asked if he could ink it. He said yes, and it is below the pencil version. You will notice it is a very different take on the character--not so much a supernatural feeling as that of an adventurer. Helluva job; he must be around 90 and he still has his skills. 

SyBarryPencils2.thumb.jpg.69b90de2ec798fa1211ea1b6025e7150.jpg

20200105_103338.thumb.jpg.c3f066663e9df3425618b6b4a706722e.jpg

So, in any of your opinions, was it a better piece just pencilled, or is it better inked? I like them both, which make me useless on that subject. But, I am thinking about having him do a second commission, full figure, in a scene.

I like the inked version better. 

In general, it's a commission that's pencilled and inked by the same artist.  If I see the blacks done with pencil lines going every which way when they're meant to be blacks, it's never as good as when it's just blacks.  If there was serious rendering in pencil and then it was inked, you kind of always lose something. 

If it's meant for publication with a different penciller and inker, it's different.  The penciller might just mark the blacks with an 'X'.

Regarding this specific piece, it looks like Barry sharpened up some things (e.g. the ears, the hair, the left coat collar). 

Having it inked in flat blacks, you lose the exact place where Barry placed the eyes.  Also,losing the delineation between the right coat collar and it's shadow.  But I think all of that makes it more mysterious.  After all, he's the Phantom Stranger.

36 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

So, in any of your opinions, was it a better piece just pencilled, or is it better inked? I like them both, which make me useless on that subject. But, I am thinking about having him do a second commission, full figure, in a scene.

I like the inked piece best, but like them both.

18 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I always prefer inked pieces in my collection so I may be a bit bias in thinking the inked piece looks better.

As for commissions I have this 8" x 11" Baroness by Joe Webster:

Baroness_Webster.jpeg

I got this 9" x 12" Vega from Jim Calafiore:

Vega_Calafiore.jpg

And this 9" x 12" Vega from Rich Woodall:

Vega_Woodall.jpg

Finally, I got this 8" x 11" Vega from Gus Mauk:

Vega_Mauk.jpg

Here are some framed commission I have hanging on my wall starting with Steve Mannion's Baroness and Simon Bisley's Vega:

Baroness_Mannion_Vega_Bisley_framed.jpg

My framed Vega by Shane Heron and Baroness by Joe Pekar:

Baroness_Pekar_Vega_Heron.jpg

My framed Baroness by Mike Hoffman:

Baroness_Hoffman_framed.jpg

And my framed Vega by Alex Ogle

Vega_Ogle_framed.jpg

As far as new commissions go, here is a 8" x 10" Vega by Joe Pekar:

Vega_Pekar.jpg

And a rather dubious looking 9" x 12" Baroness by Marvel/DC artist Georges Jeanty:

Baroness_Jeanty.jpg

Given his work credentials, I expected a little more.  So I am a bit disappointed in this piece.  I'm not sure why he decided to make her a dwarf, though.  Oh well, I guess they all can't be winners...

This weekend had a plethora of commission artwork come in the mail for me with the vast majority being a bonanza of Baroness pics starting off with a trio of pieces by Jefferson Costa.  I was only supposed to get 1 commission from him but he totally surprised me with 3 12" x 18" pieces!  What a cool guy!

Baroness_Costa3.jpg

Baroness_Costa2.jpg

Baroness_Costa1.jpg

Next are 2 8" x 11" pieces done by Monty Nero: 

Vega_Nero.jpg

Baroness_Nero.jpg

Finally, a sketch cover Baroness.  While the artwork is awesome, I am slightly disappointed that it was done on a sketch cover.  I had requested that the piece be done on a separate sheet of paper and Mr. Butler agreed however, when I opened the package, there was the sketch cover.

Baroness_Butler.jpg

8 hours ago, RBerman said:

Fun thread! My original art collection started about a year ago with a Paul Smith character sketch. He posts several of these a month on his web store, and they always evaporate in hours. I am surprised he doesn't raise the price. Anyway, I got a Threeboot-era Saturn Girl.

1UbxNUo.png.8e1da66d6b5b04dce184dc7d4e19f388.png

I got another group of commissions at Dragon Con 2019 in Atlanta. Barry Kitson was there, so I had him do Triplicate Girl. I paid for one figure, but he did three, which was kind. This is by far my favorite look for her.

zpjG0iL.jpg.7dbc36271c2c5a383ab30d892e899d53.jpg

And Mike Grell was there, so to continue the Legion theme, he did Wildfire in pencil.

83qOQlI.jpg.136236ce421f960543af1df7879266b5.jpg

LSH commissions are the best commissions. You can see mine here.