• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Commission Collecting Thread
15 15

2,868 posts in this topic

On 3/3/2020 at 9:26 PM, Benedict Judas Hel said:

I just got in this 12”x17” Baroness from French artist Marine Cegalerba (aka Jahyra):

F7273A4E-7D18-4086-BB30-68F6F6C3EC2A.jpeg

I know absolutely nothing about this character. I was just wondering why, in what looks like a very physical and precision-oriented sort of work, she would be wearing glasses? Wouldn’t contacts, or at least goggles, be safer?

7 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I know absolutely nothing about this character. I was just wondering why, in what looks like a very physical and precision-oriented sort of work, she would be wearing glasses? Wouldn’t contacts, or at least goggles, be safer?

To answer the first part of your question, The Baroness is a character from a 80's Hasbro 3 3/4" toy line called G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero which itself was a re-imagining of a 12" 60's toy line with roughly the same name (G.I. Joe: America's Movable Fighting Man).  In fact, it was the 60's G.I. Joe toy that helped coin the term "action figure" as toy executives wanted young boys not to think of these items as "dolls".  And like the vast majority of 80's toys, a cartoon by Sunbow Productions and a comic book by Marvel were released at the same time to help build interest in the toy line.  During the first couple of years of the toy line, toy commercials about cartoons were still prohibited by the FCC so Hasbro got around this regulation by advertising the comic book (using animation by the same studio that produced the cartoon).

The Baroness is a member of the evil terrorist organization known as Cobra who want to rule the world and thus, the sworn enemy of G.I. Joe.  She is an European aristocrat and highly educated.  The reason she wears the glasses, I believe, is an artistic choice to help convey this background information visually.  Glasses are usually used as a sign of education and sophistication.  I don't think the practicality of said glasses were a big concern to the toy designers as much as the aesthetics of the figure.  If that were the case, I'd say a bigger problem would be going into a live battle situation in stiletto high heels.  A little suspension of disbelief is needed when it comes to these properties.  We could start questioning everything if we begin thinking about everything from a rational/practical point of view.  For example, why would superheroes wear capes?  If you saw a person wearing a cape walking down the street, it would look really dumb and would get in the way if you were doing any physical activity..  Plus it wouldn't inspire any sort of feeling of respect but in actuality it would be the opposite.  They'd be laughed off the street.  Don't get me started on wearing their underwear on the outside, vision restricting masks or wearing gloves all the time.

So, in summary, I think it was a stylistic choice that was meant to look good on paper or in toy form, not for practical real-life application.  Thanks for the question and I hope I answered your query satisfactorily!

1 hour ago, Benedict Judas Hel said:

The reason she wears the glasses, I believe, is an artistic choice to help convey this background information visually.  Glasses are usually used as a sign of education and sophistication. 

Fair enough. A few years back, I met someone who had nothing wrong with her vision, but wore glasses as a stylistic choice to make people think she was bright (and ignore the plunging neckline of her top).

This one just popped up in Comic Art Tracker. Another example of education and sophistication (I am not making fun of your comment, I think the whole concept is funny):

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Rick2you2

3 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Fair enough. A few years back, I met someone who had nothing wrong with her vision, but wore glasses as a stylistic choice to make people think she was bright (and ignore the plunging neckline of her top).

Doubt it was to ignore. "Hot librarian" is a real look. :)

19 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

No problem.  I did not take any offense in your question as I gathered it was in earnest.  I know that the field of comics covers a vast array of genres (sci-fi, horror, crime, comedy, superhero, etc.) and just because a person collects or is interested in comics in general, it cannot be assumed that he/she will know every single thing about comic books.  For example, even though I am a collector of comics, I personally know nothing about one of your favorite subjects, The Phantom Stranger only that I think he’s a DC character?

But no worries.  It’s all about good communications.

5 hours ago, Benedict Judas Hel said:

No problem.  I did not take any offense in your question as I gathered it was in earnest.  I know that the field of comics covers a vast array of genres (sci-fi, horror, crime, comedy, superhero, etc.) and just because a person collects or is interested in comics in general, it cannot be assumed that he/she will know every single thing about comic books.  For example, even though I am a collector of comics, I personally know nothing about one of your favorite subjects, The Phantom Stranger only that I think he’s a DC character?

But no worries.  It’s all about good communications.

He is. While you will read all sorts of statements about his mysterious origins and reasons for doing what he does, I will let you in on a secret you will not see published.

PS is modelled after Freud's Superego, which, in comic book land, boils down to the personification of human conscience. I am fairly certain that his opposite number was supposed to be Tala. Not just a demoness, but modelled after Freud's Id. That is, human impulse, urges and desires. In most stories, they are considered respectful enemies of each other: like the way superego and id clash in a person's mind, and mediated by a person's ego.

Terrific potential, rarely achieved in the comic stories.