• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Commission Collecting Thread
15 15

2,868 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

this is something i have just been working on for my own fun. i've always wanted to re-create a schomburg cover, and this has to be one of the wackiest, funnest covers he ever did. i'm not quite done with it yet. still have to sign it to and give him credit of course. it's oil paint on panel. 

all-select-comics-home-pic.jpg

That is amazing!!! I didn’t know you were an artist?? (I should probably have looked at your wed site) . I love it. 

10 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

this is something i have just been working on for my own fun. i've always wanted to re-create a schomburg cover, and this has to be one of the wackiest, funnest covers he ever did. i'm not quite done with it yet. still have to sign it to and give him credit of course. it's oil paint on panel. 

all-select-comics-home-pic.jpg

...and just like that, someone's PM's are going to be blowin' up with requests!  

VERY cool job, Alex: it's both instantly recognizable as your work, while still staying completely true to the original.  I love it.

I had no idea you were on CGC (very rarely browse the actual comic side of the boards), but have long been a fan.  Thanks for sharing this.

58 minutes ago, ShallowDan said:

...and just like that, someone's PM's are going to be blowin' up with requests!  

VERY cool job, Alex: it's both instantly recognizable as your work, while still staying completely true to the original.  I love it.

I had no idea you were on CGC (very rarely browse the actual comic side of the boards), but have long been a fan.  Thanks for sharing this.

thanks dan! i appreciate that. i would like to do some commissions recreating more schomburg, when i have time. i confess it is one reason i shared this piece here, even though i just did it for myself. this is not a great photo either, when i get the painting properly shot, i will share it here. 

28 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

thanks dan! i appreciate that. i would like to do some commissions recreating more schomburg, when i have time. i confess it is one reason i shared this piece here, even though i just did it for myself. this is not a great photo either, when i get the painting properly shot, i will share it here. 

And now you have me going down the rabbit hole of Marvel Mystery covers (I call #46!).  

And please do share a sharper/better pic when you get one.  We'd all love to see it.   

On 3/9/2020 at 5:28 PM, Rick2you2 said:

He is. While you will read all sorts of statements about his mysterious origins and reasons for doing what he does, I will let you in on a secret you will not see published.

PS is modelled after Freud's Superego, which, in comic book land, boils down to the personification of human conscience. I am fairly certain that his opposite number was supposed to be Tala. Not just a demoness, but modelled after Freud's Id. That is, human impulse, urges and desires. In most stories, they are considered respectful enemies of each other: like the way superego and id clash in a person's mind, and mediated by a person's ego.

Terrific potential, rarely achieved in the comic stories.

Who would be a good artist to do a TALA/PS Commission?

On 12/18/2019 at 11:39 AM, Benedict Judas Hel said:

The most recent commission I got in was the 9" x 12" Baroness by Graham Nolan:

Baroness_Nolan.jpg

This is a 9" x 12" Vega/Baroness combo by Brandon Starr:

Vega_Baroness_Starr.jpg

Here is my 9" x 12" Vega by Graham Nolan as well:

Vega_Nolan.jpg

And here is a 10" x 13" Vega by Shane Heron:

Vega_Heron.jpg

A few pieces involving this character showed up recently on Comic Art Tracker.

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

A few pieces involving this character showed up recently on Comic Art Tracker.

Unfortunately I am a neophyte when it comes to comic art and don’t really know what Comic Art Tracker is but cool!  Which character: Baroness or Vega?

Edited by Benedict Judas Hel

21 minutes ago, Benedict Judas Hel said:

Unfortunately I am a neophyte when it comes to comic art and don’t really know what Comic Art Tracker is but cool!  Which character: Baroness or Vega?

Baroness. CAT tracks almost all the art posted for sale (it does not catch everything, like Comiclink auctions or Facebook sales).

Go to the site, and in the search box type in Baroness. Have fun!

New Art Day - A new faux Sugar and Spike #100 cover commission! This one is by Dave Aikins and features S&S meeting Superman!

I think it's spectacular. Dave went over and above. It's a photorealistic representation of a "real" S&S #100 cover. It's full of little Easter Eggs in the details.

Utterly delightful and a great addition to this sub-theme! Thanks, Dave!

Click the image and read more about it.

image.thumb.png.724c58fbc2d0b5c46a053cdb0d372329.png

14 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

This turned out amazing . One of the definitive  black suit Spidey artists in 80s. Greg did a fantastic render for me combining elements of ASM 100 but I wanted him to pop off the page so I requested a black background . He chose black paper the rest was pure magic! 

Greg LaRocque

6D1260D1-792E-426F-BEEF-6502AB0C6FAF.jpeg

Wow! That turned out much better than my Venom. Congrats!