• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Commission Collecting Thread
15 15

2,868 posts in this topic

On 12/23/2020 at 1:44 PM, Blastaar said:

Not sure if these count as commissions anymore as others have pointed out that much of these are tracings but I always loved Neal’s version of Robin.

If it's drawn by request, it's a commission.

If it's drawn on spec by the artist and you buy it, it's not a commission.

At least, that's the way I handle it.

Edited by alxjhnsn

1 hour ago, alxjhnsn said:

If it's drawn by request, it's a commission.

If it's drawn on spec by the artist and you buy it, it's not a commission.

At least, that's they way I handle it.

I was speaking more to the process. Does it count as “art’ if it’s a mass produced trace. 

Ya folks get really particular about light boxing and all. But heck most guys use light boxes and other programs same for digital folks. So to me if the artist is actually doing the work. I feel it's real art. Now if it's just copy and trace then to me it lessens it. But if it's there own work. Then that different. Same for folks who are inking or coloring another artist work. Yes they are tracing. But they are not ripping off others work and so forth.

On 12/24/2020 at 2:29 AM, Webhead2018 said:

Ya folks get really particular about light boxing and all. But heck most guys use light boxes and other programs same for digital folks. So to me if the artist is actually doing the work. I feel it's real art. Now if it's just copy and trace then to me it lessens it. But if it's there own work. Then that different. Same for folks who are inking or coloring another artist work. Yes they are tracing. But they are not ripping off others work and so forth.

Absolutely true. Many inked pieces start as separate figure drawings in pencil on scraps of paper that get fed to a light box for final pencils or direct inking.

On 12/23/2020 at 3:56 PM, Blastaar said:

I was speaking more to the process. Does it count as “art’ if it’s a mass produced trace. 

I'll give an example. This is my Fone Bone by Jeff Smith.

Jeff did the pencils by hand. He took that and, by hand, lightbox inked 50 copies. Each copy is somewhat different. Those copies were then painted by his colorist on the Scholastic reprints - Steve Hamaker.

image.png.b1a8a51a8e4dd29361c416b280f2ae98.png

Original art? I think so.

Edited by alxjhnsn

Not many art purchases this year but at least I have kept Megan Levens busy with commissions. And since she (as many artists) suffered from a significant lack of income due to the cancelled convention circuit it seemed like a better way to spend my funds.

1369077370_harley2kommission_tumme.jpg.256771e804a4811f6659c7b645ceb213.jpg

Margot Robbie as the one and only Harleen Frances Quinzel a.k.a. Harley Quinn in the movie Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) was a totally pitch perfect performance! Just like she had walked out of the comic books and onto the screen.
Megan Levens share my opinion, and I think it shows in this beautifully rendered commission of Ms. Robbie as Harley on rollerskates and with her iconic mallet slung over her shoulder. Click on the picture for link to a bigger scan on CAF.

1356306846_elvirat-bird_tumme.jpg.296a1ecd04bd120f53fdcb8bfdcabaa8.jpg

Since Megan Levens knows her way around a "Squarebird" (the nickname for the 1958-1960 Ford Thunderbird) because it is the daily driver of the witches in her and Kate Leth's comic Spell On Wheels, she was my first choice for a commission of Elvira and her Macabre Mobile (a 1959 coupé with the roof removed and customized by the late, great George Barris). Again, click on the picture for link to a bigger scan on CAF.

5 hours ago, Caltex98 said:

Not many art purchases this year but at least I have kept Megan Levens busy with commissions. And since she (as many artists) suffered from a significant lack of income due to the cancelled convention circuit it seemed like a better way to spend my funds.

1356306846_elvirat-bird_tumme.jpg.296a1ecd04bd120f53fdcb8bfdcabaa8.jpg

Since Megan Levens knows her way around a "Squarebird" (the nickname for the 1958-1960 Ford Thunderbird) because it is the daily driver of the witches in her and Kate Leth's comic Spell On Wheels, she was my first choice for a commission of Elvira and her Macabre Mobile (a 1959 coupé with the roof removed and customized by the late, great George Barris). Again, click on the picture for link to a bigger scan on CAF.

I do love me some Elvira!  Congratulations!

Edited by Benedict Judas Hel

52 minutes ago, DomUga said:

Got this commission from Julius Gopez. Blown away....didn’t expect this masterpiece. Beta Ray Bill vs Thor. Insane. This guy needs more recognition.

been collecting Thor commissions from local Filipino artists. 

Woah that's action packed!

New Art Day - Faux Sugar and Spike #100 Cover by Bill Morrison

The first piece of 2021 is the last Christmas present to arrive. Nice way to start the year in my opinion.

Bill had some free time since Mad moved to all reprints so this happened and I’m glad it did!

As usual, I provided very little art direction and as usual this proved to be a good thing. I suggested crossing over with someone he likes to draw / is associated with. He suggested Maggie. Kathy made it happen. I win! :)

Check it out by clicking on the thumbnail
image.thumb.png.08ff348d367e04fcbb705b673829327b.png