• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Commission Collecting Thread
15 15

2,863 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, furthur said:

I am a big fan of Winsor McCay, so a dozen years or so ago I got Ryan Sook to do a fun little pastiche for me using my name and caricature called "Little Benno in Slumberland". It was super cool (in my CAF gallery if anyone wants to look) and I mostly let the idea drop, though I did have two more done along the way over the last decade by Mike DeCarlo (who did a hilarious Peanuts take with me and Lucy as my psychiatrist) and Greg Theakston who did a Kirby riff. Last year I picked up where I left off and got an amazing piece from Frank Brunner and I kind of got the bug. I was asked by the head of the cartooning department at SCAD here in Atlanta to guest lecture in a cartooning class about original art collecting and I decided that it would be fun to put my money where my mouth was and offered to commission a piece from one of the students.  A couple of folks sent samples and I picked Anderson Carmen to do the commission. It was a GREAT choice. I am amazed by both the creativity and the craft in this piece. I know its a little (my wife says a LOT and I cannot deny that) self absorbed as a commission theme, but I love this piece!!

20170329144217_001 (1).jpg

OMG. This is fantastic. Riffing off of McCay's holy trinity: Little Nemo, Gertie the Dinosaur, and ending with a Rarebit Fiend joke. Brilliant! 

This is how I have my coffee every morning...just me, Oliver and Morgan. Dishwasher safe! Very happy that Mike agreed to do this two-sided sketch (2015) on one of Starbucks' personalize-able mugs. Baked in oven after drawing causes the special pen ink to adhere permanently to the porcelain. 

Bob

Q0krrdQD_0905150123041.JPG#.WTdnQxmBR7w.