• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gerry Ross - One Million Comics
1 1

182 posts in this topic

On 1/9/2019 at 8:55 PM, BigDaddy1 said:

Came across Gerry Ross at Niagara Falls Comic Con in June 2018, bought an ASM #136 from him. He said it was in Fine condition.

He couldn't have been more wrong!

A couple days after purchasing it, I noticed writing inside the comic and the stamp cut out, affecting the story. I had never felt so lied to in my time of collecting comics! Told the people who ran the comic con about my purchase, who then told Gerry, and Gerry offered to refund me and give a better copy of the ASM #136.

Took 3 months for him to refund through PayPal, and has yet to replace me with a better copy of the comic. He keeps either saying "it will be sent out", or doesn't keep to his word of when it will be sent out. I only wish I came across this post sooner, I would not recommend any business with the man whatsoever.

cover of purchased Amazing Spider-Man #136.jpeg

cut-out on page.jpeg

writing on page.jpeg

Is that an $80 price sticker?

On ‎2019‎/‎01‎/‎09 at 7:55 PM, BigDaddy1 said:

Came across Gerry Ross at Niagara Falls Comic Con in June 2018, bought an ASM #136 from him. He said it was in Fine condition.

He couldn't have been more wrong!

A couple days after purchasing it, I noticed writing inside the comic and the stamp cut out, affecting the story. I had never felt so lied to in my time of collecting comics! Told the people who ran the comic con about my purchase, who then told Gerry, and Gerry offered to refund me and give a better copy of the ASM #136.

Took 3 months for him to refund through PayPal, and has yet to replace me with a better copy of the comic. He keeps either saying "it will be sent out", or doesn't keep to his word of when it will be sent out. I only wish I came across this post sooner, I would not recommend any business with the man whatsoever.

cover of purchased Amazing Spider-Man #136.jpeg

cut-out on page.jpeg

writing on page.jpeg

Just saw this thread.

Not wanting to be "that guy" but...

I hope you have now realized that you need to learn to grade books for yourself. Knowing how to grade, it puts you in a powerful position to know if the seller you are dealing with is honest or not.

You have also learned you need to open and inspect the books you are buying unless you have developed a relationship of trust with the seller. ( I.E. you know he will take it back and give you a refund. )

Thanks for posting. Your experience is no different than many many others.

On 1/19/2019 at 4:38 PM, Artboy99 said:

Just saw this thread.

Not wanting to be "that guy" but...

I hope you have now realized that you need to learn to grade books for yourself. Knowing how to grade, it puts you in a powerful position to know if the seller you are dealing with is honest or not.

You have also learned you need to open and inspect the books you are buying unless you have developed a relationship of trust with the seller. ( I.E. you know he will take it back and give you a refund. )

Thanks for posting. Your experience is no different than many many others.

I completely understand. I have been practicing myself of grading comics and knowing the differences. The comic shop I go to actually recommended to me that I do that, after this event.

And I do ask to check the comic from now on too, after that horrible experience. And I appreciate you telling me the advice as well, I know you're trying to help me, and I appreciate that.

21 minutes ago, BigDaddy1 said:

I completely understand. I have been practicing myself of grading comics and knowing the differences. The comic shop I go to actually recommended to me that I do that, after this event.

And I do ask to check the comic from now on too, after that horrible experience. And I appreciate you telling me the advice as well, I know you're trying to help me, and I appreciate that.

You probably do not know but I collect Marvel Value Stamps, and I actually looked at that very copy of ASM 136 you purchased while I was at the Calgary Comic Expo.

What does it say about a seller that was told the book was missing the MVS BUT still does nothing to disclose that information to the next buyer?

***check out my MVS thread:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/303896-the-marvel-value-stamp-club/

Edited by Artboy99

That 1 Million Comics didn't tell you the MVS was missing reminds me of another equally disgusting story.

A local Alberta seller had a raw copy of Hulk 181 for sale on his show wall and I asked to see it with my comic selling partner fellow board member thehumantorch.

Yes the book had a MVS, but as I collect the stamps I immediately recognized the stamp was the wrong one. The page the stamp was on was from a Hulk comic, and when we looked at the other part of the wrap I saw the character called The Missing Link and I then knew the page was from Hulk 179, and someone had put that page into a Hulk 181 that was missing the MVS. I informed the seller of what he had and moved on back to my booth.

Then at a different show months later a friend of mine came to me to ask my opinion about a potential trade he was considering with a vendor. The trade was the Hulk 181 for his copy of Werewolf By Night 32. I asked who the seller was and he pointed to the guy that had the raw copy of the 181. I told my friend to open the book and see if the MVS was Shanna The She-Devil for if it wasn't he was getting screwed. Of course it was the same book: so now the seller is knowingly trying to offer his tainted book to unsuspecting buyers. The scumbag...

17 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

You probably do not know but I collect Marvel Value Stamps, and I actually looked at that very copy of ASM 136 you purchased at the Calgary Comic Expo.

What does it say about a seller that was told the book was missing the MVS BUT still does nothing to disclose that information to the next buyer?

Thats pretty cool, I've actually never known or talked to someone who collects those stamps! And that's surprising we both looked at the same comic!

As for Gerry, I found him to be very dishonest. I didn't have any way to contact him so I had to contact Niagara Falls Comic Con to get his contact info. I will say one thing I did mention in the email was that he may not be honest and may have ruined other people's experience if they bought from him (this was all before I actually knew about his reputation, funny enough). Gerry was not happy about that at all when he contacted me.

The fact that he was told about the missing stamp and he did NOT inform me or anyone else is surprising, and horrible. It tells me he doesn't care at all about future buyers, and that he is not honest as well. When I told him about the comic and sent him the pics, he said one of his employees must've missed the cut and writing...

How does someone miss a cutout and writing in a comic when grading a comic??

Edited by BigDaddy1
mispelling a word

34 minutes ago, BigDaddy1 said:

Thats pretty cool, I've actually never known or talked to someone who collects those stamps! And that's surprising we both looked at the same comic!

As for Gerry, I found him to be very dishonest. I didn't have any way to contact him so I had to contact Niagara Falls Comic Con to get his contact info. I will say one thing I did mention in the email was that he may not be honest and may have ruined other people's experience if they bought from him (this was all before I actually knew about his reputation, funny enough). Gerry was not happy about that at all when he contacted me.

The fact that he was told about the missing stamp and he did NOT inform me or anyone else is surprising, and horrible. It tells me he doesn't care at all about future buyers, and that he is not honest as well. When I told him about the comic and sent him the pics, he said one of his employees must've missed the cut and writing...

How does someone miss a cutout and writing inna comic when grading a comic??

There are some BSDs that blame everything on their "employees", like they have no responsibility. What a frickin' cop-out that excuse is - very character revealing.

4 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

That 1 Million Comics didn't tell you the MVS was missing reminds me of another equally disgusting story.

A local Alberta seller had a raw copy of Hulk 181 for sale on his show wall and I asked to see it with my comic selling partner fellow board member thehumantorch.

Yes the book had a MVS, but as I collect the stamps I immediately recognized the stamp was the wrong one. The page the stamp was on was from a Hulk comic, and when we looked at the other part of the wrap I saw the character called The Missing Link and I then knew the page was from Hulk 179, and someone had put that page into a Hulk 181 that was missing the MVS. I informed the seller of what he had and moved on back to my booth.

Then at a different show months later a friend of mine came to me to ask my opinion about a potential trade he was considering with a vendor. The trade was the Hulk 181 for his copy of Werewolf By Night 32. I asked who the seller was and he pointed to the guy that had the raw copy of the 181. I told my friend to open the book and see if the MVS was Shanna The She-Devil for if it wasn't he was getting screwed. Of course it was the same book: so now the seller is knowingly trying to offer his tainted book to unsuspecting buyers. The scumbag...

Jeez... I'm surprised their are people like that. I've never thought of someone filling the space with another stamp!

I'm not sure if you can do this at cons, but I feel like I would've reported the seller if I was in your position. I wouldn't want anyone to get scammed by that. Good thing you told your friend about the stamp!

3 minutes ago, BigDaddy1 said:

Jeez... I'm surprised their are people like that. I've never thought of someone filling the space with another stamp!

I'm not sure if you can do this at cons, but I feel like I would've reported the seller if I was in your position. I wouldn't want anyone to get scammed by that. Good thing you told your friend about the stamp!

Convention promoters wouldn't do anything in this circumstance.

6 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

There are some BSDs that blame everything on their "employees", like they have no responsibility. What a frickin' cop-out that excuse is - very character revealing.

Agreed. 

Figure I'll tell the rest of the story of dealing with Gerry Roos, for this chat.

So comes in January 2019 and he still has not sent me a better copy of the ASM 136. I send him both an email and text, about the arrival of the ASM #136. He tells me on the advice of his lawyer (if he has one), he wants me to sign a full release form so that I don't discuss my experience with him. I told him I was no longer interested in him sending me a replacement, and of how disappointed I was in him and his business, especially with the fact that he said it was ready to ship months ago and yet it hadn't been sent. 

I pretty much chose to bite the bullet and move on from dealing with him. I was tired of his excuses and I want to let people know about my story with him. At least I got my refund through PayPal, so there's something at least.

At one of the last cons I went to, his booth was doing good business. I think they were slashing everything at 50% off. When you hit the price point low enough for your customer, and I gather his customers generally give in on the quality of their books, then he can still survive.

I stayed away given the company's reputation. 

2 minutes ago, romanheart said:

At one of the last cons I went to, his booth was doing good business. I think they were slashing everything at 50% off. When you hit the price point low enough for your customer, and I gather his customers generally give in on the quality of their books, then he can still survive.

I stayed away given the company's reputation. 

I wonder if that's what he's been doing for all his recent cons to have his business survive.

Which con was he at, out of curiosity?

I'm planning on going to the Niagara Falls Comic Con this year, and I feel like he may be there, though I will not buy anything from him this time. 

1 minute ago, BigDaddy1 said:

I wonder if that's what he's been doing for all his recent cons to have his business survive.

Which con was he at, out of curiosity?

I'm planning on going to the Niagara Falls Comic Con this year, and I feel like he may be there, though I will not buy anything from him this time. 

It was either the Ottawa or Toronto con. I think it was the Toronto event but I am having trouble remembering. I think he regularly attends both. He strikes me as the dealer that grabs up hoards of boxes of everything and then just marks down prices to the point to get people at the booth. He's not the only dealer with this approach. 

16 minutes ago, BigDaddy1 said:

Figure I'll tell the rest of the story of dealing with Gerry Roos, for this chat.

So comes in January 2019 and he still has not sent me a better copy of the ASM 136. I send him both an email and text, about the arrival of the ASM #136. He tells me on the advice of his lawyer (if he has one), he wants me to sign a full release form so that I don't discuss my experience with him. I told him I was no longer interested in him sending me a replacement, and of how disappointed I was in him and his business, especially with the fact that he said it was ready to ship months ago and yet it hadn't been sent. 

I pretty much chose to bite the bullet and move on from dealing with him. I was tired of his excuses and I want to let people know about my story with him. At least I got my refund through PayPal, so there's something at least.

While it is very tempting to reply to his "lawyer" advice with the advice from your own "lawyer" that you should tell 1 million people about his deceitful practices it is best to just get your refund and move on. DO tell those you know about the experience.