• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gerry Ross - One Million Comics
1 1

182 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, romanheart said:
1 hour ago, kimik said:

Was that Gerry or George/Comicage?

It honestly applies to both of them but I think you knew that :wink:

Does it really? In my experience, Comicage's "discounted" prices are still too high (Mile High model), while Gerry's are pretty reasonable. Yes, they both offer a perpetual "discount" on their "asking" prices, but the sticker prices are not at all comparable.

I have never bought anything from Comicage because I've never seen anything for which I was willing to pay anywhere near the price. Maybe if I looked through all of those tons of boxes, but I've never seen it.

I've bought a handful of stuff out of Gerry's boxes over the years he's set up at C4. His grades, when appearing on the stickers, are laughable, but the prices were more than reasonable for what I got.

3 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Does it really? In my experience, Comicage's "discounted" prices are still too high (Mile High model), while Gerry's are pretty reasonable. Yes, they both offer a perpetual "discount" on their "asking" prices, but the sticker prices are not at all comparable.

I have never bought anything from Comicage because I've never seen anything for which I was willing to pay anywhere near the price. Maybe if I looked through all of those tons of boxes, but I've never seen it.

I've bought a handful of stuff out of Gerry's boxes over the years he's set up at C4. His grades, when appearing on the stickers, are laughable, but the prices were more than reasonable for what I got.

Yes what you say is true. They are similar because they both offer big discounts. Even after the discount you are left staring at the Comicage dealer thinking 'Does he really expect me to pay for this anyway?'

7 hours ago, BigDaddy1 said:

Figure I'll tell the rest of the story of dealing with Gerry Roos, for this chat.

So comes in January 2019 and he still has not sent me a better copy of the ASM 136. I send him both an email and text, about the arrival of the ASM #136. He tells me on the advice of his lawyer (if he has one), he wants me to sign a full release form so that I don't discuss my experience with him. I told him I was no longer interested in him sending me a replacement, and of how disappointed I was in him and his business, especially with the fact that he said it was ready to ship months ago and yet it hadn't been sent. 

I pretty much chose to bite the bullet and move on from dealing with him. I was tired of his excuses and I want to let people know about my story with him. At least I got my refund through PayPal, so there's something at least.

Seeing as you already involved the convention staff initially, I'd shoot them a quick email with this latest update, so they can see what kind of seller they're really promoting. Maybe, juuuust maybe, they'll take action on this person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed. When someone wants to involve a lawyer, real or imaginary, it takes things to a whole new level, and is beyond the pale of civilised collecting. 

8 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

That 1 Million Comics didn't tell you the MVS was missing reminds me of another equally disgusting story.

A local Alberta seller had a raw copy of Hulk 181 for sale on his show wall and I asked to see it with my comic selling partner fellow board member thehumantorch.

Yes the book had a MVS, but as I collect the stamps I immediately recognized the stamp was the wrong one. The page the stamp was on was from a Hulk comic, and when we looked at the other part of the wrap I saw the character called The Missing Link and I then knew the page was from Hulk 179, and someone had put that page into a Hulk 181 that was missing the MVS. I informed the seller of what he had and moved on back to my booth.

Then at a different show months later a friend of mine came to me to ask my opinion about a potential trade he was considering with a vendor. The trade was the Hulk 181 for his copy of Werewolf By Night 32. I asked who the seller was and he pointed to the guy that had the raw copy of the 181. I told my friend to open the book and see if the MVS was Shanna The She-Devil for if it wasn't he was getting screwed. Of course it was the same book: so now the seller is knowingly trying to offer his tainted book to unsuspecting buyers. The scumbag...

This book (or this technique) appears to have been making its rounds as I heard this exact same thing for a Hulk 181 being sold around my parts.

35 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Seeing as you already involved the convention staff initially, I'd shoot them a quick email with this latest update, so they can see what kind of seller they're really promoting. Maybe, juuuust maybe, they'll take action on this person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed. When someone wants to involve a lawyer, real or imaginary, it takes things to a whole new level, and is beyond the pale of civilised collecting. 

I think I will contact the con, I wouldn't want anyone else to be scammed by Gerry. Hopefully they will not allow him to be a vendor at the comic con.

4 hours ago, romanheart said:

Yes what you say is true. They are similar because they both offer big discounts. Even after the discount you are left staring at the Comicage dealer thinking 'Does he really expect me to pay for this anyway?'

I've avoided George for years, does he give discounts now?  Once upon a time, he was tight as a drum.  I handed him back a stack of books once or twice before realizing he was a waste of time.  Now, I walk in the opposite direction of "can I help anybody here?"

20 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

I've avoided George for years, does he give discounts now?  Once upon a time, he was tight as a drum.  I handed him back a stack of books once or twice before realizing he was a waste of time.  Now, I walk in the opposite direction of "can I help anybody here?"

I think after his 50% discount, the price is still double the value in virtually any grade. He has so much merchandise. If he priced it correctly, I'm sure it would move better.

7 minutes ago, romanheart said:

I think after his 50% discount, the price is still double the value in virtually any grade. He has so much merchandise. If he priced it correctly, I'm sure it would move better.

somehow he does enough business that he doesnt have to price it correctly.

On 1/21/2019 at 11:50 AM, BigDaddy1 said:

Thats pretty cool, I've actually never known or talked to someone who collects those stamps! And that's surprising we both looked at the same comic!

As for Gerry, I found him to be very dishonest. I didn't have any way to contact him so I had to contact Niagara Falls Comic Con to get his contact info. I will say one thing I did mention in the email was that he may not be honest and may have ruined other people's experience if they bought from him (this was all before I actually knew about his reputation, funny enough). Gerry was not happy about that at all when he contacted me.

The fact that he was told about the missing stamp and he did NOT inform me or anyone else is surprising, and horrible. It tells me he doesn't care at all about future buyers, and that he is not honest as well. When I told him about the comic and sent him the pics, he said one of his employees must've missed the cut and writing...

How does someone miss a cutout and writing in a comic when grading a comic??

They don't check the book - that's how.

On 1/21/2019 at 12:22 PM, romanheart said:

It was either the Ottawa or Toronto con. I think it was the Toronto event but I am having trouble remembering. I think he regularly attends both. He strikes me as the dealer that grabs up hoards of boxes of everything and then just marks down prices to the point to get people at the booth. He's not the only dealer with this approach. 

He attends the Ottawa show pretty much monthly.

I'm not siding with anyone in this particular case and forgetting the length of time it took for you to get refunded, but I think that you're probably lucky that you got anything.  

From what I understand you didn't check the book; you bought the book anyway; you took it home; and then raised the issues with the book two days following.

Think about how easy it would be, in a situation such as this, for someone to swap out a just purchased "good" book for one that has problems and then complain to the seller that the book that they just bought has a host of problems.  

I'm not hating, I'm just saying...

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

this is a case where another customer has checked the book and told Gerry the stamp was missing but he did nothing about it except sell it to some other unsuspecting customer with no disclosure.

Yup but OP's general question was"  How does someone miss a cutout and writing in a comic when grading a comic?? 

That's what I was responding to...

10 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

I'm not siding with anyone in this particular case and forgetting the length of time it took for you to get refunded, but I think that you're probably lucky that you got anything.  

From what I understand you didn't check the book; you bought the book anyway; you took it home; and then raised the issues with the book two days following.

Think about how easy it would be, in a situation such as this, for someone to swap out a just purchased "good" book for one that has problems and then complain to the seller that the book that they just bought has a host of problems.  

I'm not hating, I'm just saying...

Yes I do think I am lucky, given Gerry's reputation.

As for the situation, I had never had this happened to me, as I am relatively new to collecting comics and have been for a few years. Not that it excuses me from checking the comics I want to purchase, though we learn from our mistakes. I used to buy older comics without checking the interior as I assumed the seller would've told me about it.

I would never falsely accuse someone of selling me a comic that had unmentioned problems. The last thing I would do is ruin a seller's reputation and cause them unnecessary problems. I'm not looking to start an argument (all due respect), and I am only sharing my story to others, to help future comic buyers to be aware of Gerry's given reputation. 

On 1/21/2019 at 3:30 PM, Lazyboy said:

George consistently buys 500+ worth of books from me whenever we’re at the some show, therefore I like him :) 

have never bought anything off him though

8 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:
21 hours ago, Hudson said:

Have you ever heard of Danny Dupcak???!!!!

Yes, I have...and Jason Ewert of laser trimming fame, and numerous others, each one vile in their own way, yet none as despicable as Gerry D-O-U-C-H-E Ross!

Well, I guess this one had a lot more to do with CGC and the eventual spin they finally decided to take when the whole pressing and micro-trimming fiasco first came to light on these boards back here in 2005 and everybody found out exactly what was going on behind the curtains.  :facepalm:

Although it took awhile and a ton of angst and beotching on the boards here, they finally came out with the spin that pressing was really nothing more than "maximization of potential", while micro-trimming was "destruction of a comic book".  I can imagine if it had gone the other way that we would now be calling Jason a true God send and have him as head of grading at CGC, while poor Matt would be deemed as the piraya to be banished from the hobby.  hm

How ironic that it was actually Danny boy himself who was one of the lead culprits that had uncovered all of this rather unscrupulous and manipulative going-ons that was taking place behind the scenes with books then being laundered through CGC by people in the know upon a naive and unsuspecting collecting marketplace.  (tsk)

Edited by lou_fine