• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gerry Ross - One Million Comics
1 1

182 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

this is a case where another customer has checked the book and told Gerry the stamp was missing but he did nothing about it except sell it to some other unsuspecting customer with no disclosure.

Yep, pretty creepy when you're informed that a book is incomplete and you shrug your shoulders and toss it back in the box knowing you'll foist if off on some future unsuspecting customer.

3 hours ago, BigDaddy1 said:

Yes I do think I am lucky, given Gerry's reputation.

As for the situation, I had never had this happened to me, as I am relatively new to collecting comics and have been for a few years. Not that it excuses me from checking the comics I want to purchase, though we learn from our mistakes. I used to buy older comics without checking the interior as I assumed the seller would've told me about it.

I would never falsely accuse someone of selling me a comic that had unmentioned problems. The last thing I would do is ruin a seller's reputation and cause them unnecessary problems. I'm not looking to start an argument (all due respect), and I am only sharing my story to others, to help future comic buyers to be aware of Gerry's given reputation. 

My point was not to question your honesty or Gerry's reputation.  My point is, in a general situation, if one buys a book at a convention w/o checking it first and then several days later finds grievous faults, if return provisions were not discussed before hand, I wouldn't expect any seller to take it back.

Edited by pemart1966

I've seen him setup at shows for years but will never do business with him on account of his bad reputation and chronic BS.

His character is so badly damaged I don't even think he cares anymore.

On a basic level, I can grade, I can check pages, and I generally know what I want to pay for a book. So, yes, I'm sure I can pluck a decent book or two from his table. I just don't think I can ever muster the desire to peruse his comic boxes that's assuredly akin to a land mine field.

I feel there's enough reputable, honest, and hard-working dealers out there, some friends, that I'll never have the need to do business with him.

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

My point was not to question your honesty or Gerry's reputation.  My point is, in a general situation, if one buys a book at a convention w/o checking it first and then several days later finds grievous faults, if return provisions were not discussed before hand, I wouldn't expect any seller to take it back.

I understand now, and thank you for the clarification. 

I probably should've mentioned it, but when I did tell him and sent him the pictures of the interior through email, he said I could hang onto the comic if I still wanted it. And we did discuss about me getting a refund and a better copy. I still have the comic I bought though, haha!

Heard about his reputation after I bought a Sandman 1 from him.

Subbed it out of curiousity and got a 9.8. 

Appears I'm one of the lucky ones. 

Edit: For the record I believe he graded it 9.4 on the sticker. 

Edited by Citizenvain

6 hours ago, Citizenvain said:

Heard about his reputation after I bought a Sandman 1 from him.

Subbed it out of curiousity and got a 9.8. 

Appears I'm one of the lucky ones. 

Edit: For the record I believe he graded it 9.4 on the sticker. 

What a Wildly Whimsical Wednesday's tale! Thank you for that. (thumbsu

Is that from some dead sea-type, recently discovered scroll version of Aesop's fables? I don't remember that anecdote being included in the original.  hm 

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

What a Wildly Whimsical Wednesday's tale! Thank you for that. (thumbsu

Is that from some dead sea-type, recently discovered scroll version of Aesop's fables? I don't remember that anecdote being included in the original.  hm 

Ha!

No, just a tale of yesteryear in the land of Torontoros at the perennial gathering dubbed Fan Expo!

In all seriousness - just sharing. I don't doubt a word you all have said. 

2 hours ago, Citizenvain said:

Ha!

No, just a tale of yesteryear in the land of Torontoros at the perennial gathering dubbed Fan Expo!

In all seriousness - just sharing. I don't doubt a word you all have said. 

It just seems so.... so.... so... implausible. A 5-legged Unicorn. The sun unmoving. Standing still in the sky until a battle is over. A Gerry Ross NM that grades NM/MT at CGC. What are the odds? Probably less of a chance of that occurring than throwing a tuba and hitting the moon. lol     Since you're attesting that did happen, that means there's hope! Now I'm going to take another crack at hitting the moon with my tuba!  Maybe 2019 is the year of miracles. I'll soon find out.

Edited by James J Johnson

So where is Gerry Ross in 2020....Selling comics from the back of his van ..going from city to city. He still advertises himself as a fully fledged Doctor working in the ER no less. When asked why he sells comics..well because Drs make at least 300-400 k min per annum in Canada...assuming he is a generalist...he says his salary is not enough to live on after the Govt takes taxes. Gives you comic advice and tries to stick things you don't want around your neck, all while dispensing free medical advice. His prices for keys are really worst than ebay and if you are getting one for a good price, beware....  it might have had some work done on it but you won't be told about it . When asked why he is not selling his gems on ebay...Gerry is adamant that Ebay are thieves...yeah right...takes one to know one right. Gerry will tell you he is your friend and his prices are great and wont give you more than 5% discount...but the guy is cautious  even via kijiji. He wants to know your real name and your telephone before a meet. Sizes you out and drops you at the last minute  if he thinks something smells a foul (his ancient customers looking for him) . Still goes around calling himself Barry Allen these days . Here is his kijiji listings https://www.kijiji.ca/o-profile/90687514/listings/1

On 8/1/2020 at 11:09 AM, Anubisfiend said:

So where is Gerry Ross in 2020....Selling comics from the back of his van ..going from city to city. He still advertises himself as a fully fledged Doctor working in the ER no less. When asked why he sells comics..well because Drs make at least 300-400 k min per annum in Canada...assuming he is a generalist...he says his salary is not enough to live on after the Govt takes taxes. Gives you comic advice and tries to stick things you don't want around your neck, all while dispensing free medical advice. His prices for keys are really worst than ebay and if you are getting one for a good price, beware....  it might have had some work done on it but you won't be told about it . When asked why he is not selling his gems on ebay...Gerry is adamant that Ebay are thieves...yeah right...takes one to know one right. Gerry will tell you he is your friend and his prices are great and wont give you more than 5% discount...but the guy is cautious  even via kijiji. He wants to know your real name and your telephone before a meet. Sizes you out and drops you at the last minute  if he thinks something smells a foul (his ancient customers looking for him) . Still goes around calling himself Barry Allen these days . Here is his kijiji listings https://www.kijiji.ca/o-profile/90687514/listings/1

A new account and this is your first post.

I just want to know "why now?"

Didn't someone verify that he was a nurse in the ER or something? I know the story changes every so often.

On 8/1/2020 at 8:09 AM, Anubisfiend said:

@500Club

On 1/22/2019 at 8:51 PM, lizards2 said:

I would expect every seller to take it back. :sumo: 

Not if your name is Gerry Ross of Quebec. He will deny receiving anything in the mail even if you paid for Canada Post signature confirmation. He will just redirect blame to Canada Post who allegedly never delivered the parcel and never asked for Gerry's signature. This was his shenanigans circa 1976. :|

8 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:51 PM, lizards2 said:

Not if your name is Gerry Ross of Quebec. He will deny receiving anything in the mail even if you paid for Canada Post signature confirmation. He will just redirect blame to Canada Post who allegedly never delivered the parcel and never asked for Gerry's signature. This was his shenanigans circa 1976. :|

I actually did get a refund from him around 1986.  He was selling a bunch of NM X-Men.  Several had handling wear, like spine roll and such.  Anyway, I sent back about 20% of the books.  That was my only order from Gerry Ross.

40 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

That was the standard response from his partner as well; Crestohl.

I experienced that in the mid-eighties.

Two like minds.

30 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
41 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:51 PM, lizards2 said:

I actually did get a refund from him around 1986.  He was selling a bunch of NM X-Men.  Several had handling wear, like spine roll and such.  Anyway, I sent back about 20% of the books.  That was my only order from Gerry Ross.

Actually, I just remembered that I called TBG's customer service about it, and they coached me on the proper way to make a return to him, because he was apparently known for the shenanigans that you reference.