• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gerry Ross - One Million Comics
1 1

182 posts in this topic

Frankly I would question the toronto store's decision. Why would you keep a business name that is associated with such a bad reputation?

Any booth with 1,000,000 comix on it's label is NOT getting my business. And if I was in Toronto/Canada doing a show what would happen if both Gerry and this store setup? 1,000,000 Comix of the US and 1,000,000 Comix - Toronto?

I have seen 1,0000,000 Comix at Wizard Chicago and also at Reed New York. I do not know what other shows he sets up at.

I don't make business decisions for them, I'm just pointing out the situation.

They bought a franchise and the Giancoulos family has built it one of the two most successful stores for new issues and merchandise in downtown Toronto under the name 1,000,000 Comix (the other successful store is the Silver Snail) - they asserted their independence from Gerry a long time ago and have no love for him, but why change the name of an established business after the fact? To avoid confusion from the people screwed over by Gerry Ross over the years? I don't think they are too concerned.

And Gerry Ross is from Montreal. There is no 1,000,000 Comics/comix USA. Both are Canadian. The one setting up at NY, Chicago, etc. is Gerry Ross. The only shows that 1,000,000 Comix Toronto sets up at are Fan Expo Canada and Anime North. If and when Gerry has tried to set up at shows in Toronto it has been as 1000000 Comix - Montreal. In his home town and elsewhere he operates as 1000000 Comix or just Gerry Ross.

Here's a blast-from-the-internet-past re: Gerry Ross after myself (and others) posted warnings on the old rec.arts.comics.marketplace bb about dealing with this clown:

I have been in the comic business for 25 years. I challenge again the poster who posted bad seller alert to come forward and post his name. It takes no guts to try to besmerch someones name. Gerry Ross.

Response here - plenty more where these came from. :mad:

Pay special attention at around 4:11... Made me laugh....

yep that's the same whiny girly voice that i heard on the other end asking about a return on a over graded book, and the same voice i heard when he said he never rec'd the book when i was a teen.

Here's a blast-from-the-internet-past re: Gerry Ross after myself (and others) posted warnings on the old rec.arts.comics.marketplace bb about dealing with this clown:

I have been in the comic business for 25 years. I challenge again the poster who posted bad seller alert to come forward and post his name. It takes no guts to try to besmerch someones name. Gerry Ross.

I love when Mike brings out racm posts. Its like watching a silent movie.

Good idea for a new thread hm

lol

Indeed, both were revolutionary for their time and changed the rules of the game...I started buying/selling on racm in '96, and on ebay the following year. I have some "interesting" comments on RACM re: CGC from '99 as well, and boy have I sure changed my tune! :shy:

hm

Can we post scans of our old CBG ads too!?!?! :headbang:

lol

Indeed, both were revolutionary for their time and changed the rules of the game...I started buying/selling on racm in '96, and on ebay the following year. I have some "interesting" comments on RACM re: CGC from '99 as well, and boy have I sure changed my tune! :shy:

The dial up auctions . . . :cloud9:

hm

Can we post scans of our old CBG ads too!?!?! :headbang:

Sure! Scan mine for me as well, as I no longer have any CBGs laying around :(

lol

Sure loved those - they really taught one how to grade from a black and white photo slightly larger than a postage stamp. doh!

lol

Sure loved those - they really taught one how to grade from a black and white photo slightly larger than a postage stamp. doh!

I still have a ton of the books from those days. I bought a ton from you. There was a guy out in Arizona that had sweet Bronze (Randy or Roger?) a guy in New England that had amazing Charltons (no that is not a non sequitor) and a couple other guys. That was a fun time to collect.

Here's my new Iphone/Droid app - ComicDealercode.

Every dealer is assigned a barcode.

You scan the barcorde app for dealer reputation.

When the Avoid like the plague response comes up you move on to the next table.

Very cool, Bob! (thumbs u

An opinion that can be trusted. :)

I haven't though of rec.arts.comics for 15 years. Wow.

I argued with someone once that Gen13 #1 didn't have 13 variants...this was before they had come out.

Oops.

;)

Guys like him stay in business cause guys like us won't drive him out.

(thumbs u

I think he was. I was selling comics locally the last decade, and his name was nothing more than a modern day Boogie-Man equivalent, and then *poof* he suddenly re-appeared about 3 years ago. I'm guessing a new generation is ready to be duped...

Lots of my younger friends and customers don't know who he is and do shop at his booth at his cons... Buyer beware folks.

Which is exactly why discussions of this nature are so very important, in order to prevent widespread abuse vanishing under the radar, out of sight and mind and, as you've said here, to break the cycle.