• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest *FINAL RANKING*

116 posts in this topic

FINAL Commentary

It has been many a year since the 2008/2009 Nik's Grading Contest: a period of quiet contemplation and raised glasses for absent friends. But in Late 2010, the clarion call to battle issued forth anew. A summoning of graders from all lands come together to challenge the two-time champion who sat upon the throne and who defiantly rose once again to defend it.

140 Contestants. 58 Days. 25 Rounds. ONE Champion.

Some were old hands trying once again for the ultimate prize. Others were babes in the woods learning round after round, some succeeding and moving up the ranks, others crashing and falling by the wayside, their carcasses littered with the words EPIC FAIL and in many cases YOU SUCK. Individual stories and questionable poetry all will take away as legendary tales for the telling to their children and grandchildren... hushed whispers of the words "Oops" and "ice cream". :cloud9:

Some could not take the pressure and dropped out. Others withdrew. In all, 22 challengers have fallen by the wayside leaving 118 brave souls to see the journey to its climactic conclusion.

For 17 rounds the defending Champion tossed aside and battled back all comers: an epic feat not soon forgotten and the stuff of legend. But it was not to be. The Legions clawed their way up, overwhelming him with their ferocity, until at last-- he fell. Bravely, he tried once again to ascend to the mountain top, to crest that ridge once again, but it was too late.

A NEW Champion arose in the final rounds.

The ROUNDS are now over. The Mathematically Eliminated Line has done its silent and deadly duty. Quiet floods the land once again. Weary eyes lift for the final judgment!

In the end, THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Congratulations, He11blazer, the 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest Champion!

2010-Nik-Champion.jpg

2010-Nik-Memorial-Final-Ranking.png

Special AWARD Winners

WINNER OF LAST POSITIVE CONTESTANT IN A NEGATIVE ZONE: Wasonff (last player standing without a negative round)

Honorable mention: trmoore54

WINNER OF HARDEST WORKING PLAYER WITH THE LOWEST SCORE: towards2112 (lowest ranked player to not miss a round)

Honorable mention: genrlzod

WINNER OF THE BULLSEYE AWARD: toro with 16 bullseyes

Honorable mention: canickus with 15 bullseyes

WINNER OF THE MOST CONSISTENT PLAYER AWARD: He11blazer with 22 +/- 1 Rounds.

Honorable mention: Timmay with 21 +/- 1 rounds

WINNER OF THE MOST GRADES OFF AWARD: towards2112 with 72 grades off.

Dishonorable Mention: WEBHEAD with 55 grades off

WINNER OF MOST IMPROVED PLAYER AWARD (MIP): Jeffro (87) Difference between lowest ranking and Round 25 ranking

Honorable Mention: Worldsbestcomics (83)

===========================================

This contest would not have been possible without DrWatson, joeypost, and GACollectibles. (worship)(worship)(worship)

Congrats to the champion He11blazer! (worship)

Thank you to the men behind the curtain. This was a lot of fun and I'm glad we're doing this in honor of Nik. :(

Also thank you to CGC for donating all the grading services, as horrible as they were. hm

:baiting:

Good job, everyone! ^^

Great job, He11blazer! Absolutely smashing victory!

Many thanks to the four behind the scenes, and gratitude to Nik for starting this madness. Great job, ya'll! Can't wait for next year :D

I'm so glad that I participated! There was a nice range of books to grade and some toughies as evidenced by my rash of 5's and -1's....

I'll wear my ranking of 43rd with honour.

I know this takes a lot effort, but I really hope you guys will run this contest again next year.

Thanks again!

Thanks to all the contest moderators! 12th place finish in my first year and I choked down the stretch after leading for 10 weeks off and on. Look out next year guys, I plan on being a perennial contender. Next year I hope we have:

Less whining about how CGC blew it on a grade. Yes, I know I contributed to some extent with a few posts, but some are blatantly slapping CGC in the face with the venom in their remarks, after disagreeing based on scans without the book in hand. Seems contrary to the spirit of the contest.

Less cheating conspiracy talk. You know who you are, oh annoying beater of the dead horse.

LARGER SCANS that don't leave anything to the imagination. Too much complaining after the fact about defects/flaws that people thought they saw but weren't sure about.

Lastly, congratulations to the new king: Hellblazer! (worship)