• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest *FINAL RANKING*

116 posts in this topic

I wanted to thank Arch for my strike.

I thought it was going to be difficult to compete with the drama of team cheating, greggy's hissy fit, the snow blower incident, greggy's strike and data mining 2011, but he pulled one out of his bag of tricks for us. Yea Arch!

^^

I feel it's only right to congratulate toro for placing first with an asterisk.

You see, He11blazer revealed how exactly he claimed the title in another thread on these boards.

So congratulations toro!

He accumulated 91 points without using Jedi mind tricks!

;)

lol In case anyone's wondering: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4601855#Post4601855

109256.jpg

Yep, I was using an old Jedi mind trick :)

Congratulations He11blazer on your win. (thumbs u

Thank you GAC, Shin, Joey & Doc for pulling off a wonderful tribute to one of our favorite boardies :golfclap:

I kept the oops and ice cream gifs as a reminder of this event :luhv:

As for my 30th place finish...

:cry:

Yours was the trophy.

doh!

Never in my wildest dreams did I think that someone would actually print out and make the actual trophy.

Congrats again, He11blazer!

(worship)(worship)(worship)

Congratulations to He11blazer for a well-deserved victory! :applause:

And a big thank-you to everyone involved in organizing and running the contest. I think nik would be proud of your efforts. :hail:

My only regret is that I wasn't able to improve on my ranking from the last contest. Next time, though... ;)

Congrats James !! Must be all that London fog you've been drinking :grin:

And thanks to Watson, joeypost, GAcollectables, and sckao for making it happen. Bravo Bravo !! My wife asked me about a couple of those pm's .....cuz she was standing there when I looked at em. I'll have to be more discreet next time lol Really she thought it was pretty cool too, that this group would do something like this. Her doll collecting group never does (course its a group of women .....meeeowww......hissssss)

Also, 63 of you gave me humble pie to eat, but every one from 65 down.....

You were PWNED !! :acclaim:

I learned how to data mine.

And we learned how to run the contest next time without anyone having the ability to data mine.

Although some of my behavior was uncalled for and detrimental to the contest, I just felt these obvious loopholes should be outlined and hopefully closed next time out.

Want to see what a non-mineable contest looks like? Check out the results for Spider-man #100, which was absolutely 100% impossible to job.

BIG difference from the rest of the results. :roflmao:

Let's remember that grading doesn't happen in a vacuum. In the real world, if you were going to GIVE a professional evaluation of something, you would refer to everything at your disposal including your experience, your knowledge of current pricing vs historical pricing, recent sales (comparables), trends, changes in grading criteria, etc.

That's why you pay for a Professional Evaluation.

This is just a Grading Contest for grading by scan with minimal information and minimal policing.

How you arrive at your educated guess is up to you. (thumbs u

I'm glad people had fun. :acclaim:

Let's remember that grading doesn't happen in a vacuum. In the real world, if you were going to GIVE a professional evaluation of something, you would refer to everything at your disposal including your experience, your knowledge of current pricing vs historical pricing, recent sales (comparables), trends, changes in grading criteria, etc.

That's why you pay for a Professional Evaluation.

This is just a Grading Contest for grading by scan with minimal information and minimal policing.

How you arrive at your educated guess is up to you. (thumbs u

I'm glad people had fun. :acclaim:

I had fun :hi: Thanks to the four organizers (and any behind the scene). Congrats to He11blazer. It was just now that I realized that you had a '11' in your name rather than a 'll'. lol

Dan

And we learned how to run the contest next time without anyone having the ability to data mine.

Although some of my behavior was uncalled for and detrimental to the contest, I just felt these obvious loopholes should be outlined and hopefully closed next time out.

Want to see what a non-mineable contest looks like? Check out the results for Spider-man #100, which was absolutely 100% impossible to job.

Was it the only book that could not be 'mined' by your method? I seem to recall you saying several other books were 'unminable' too. ASM 100 was just a tough book.

I don't want to resurrect the debate though. I appreciate you admitting that your harangue was at times objectionable. If the vaunted loopholes have been closed, great.

I had fun :hi: Thanks to the four organizers (and any behind the scene). Congrats to He11blazer. It was just now that I realized that you had a '11' in your name rather than a 'll'. lol

Dan

A cunning ploy on my part. My login name is hellblazer, but I later changed the display name to the 11s so that I could search the forum for mentions of the comic without simply returning loads of my own posts :)

Was it the only book that could not be 'mined' by your method? I seem to recall you saying several other books were 'unminable' too. ASM 100 was just a tough book.

I don't want to resurrect the debate though. I appreciate you admitting that your harangue was at times objectionable. If the vaunted loopholes have been closed, great.

Don't worry, we have new loopholes to be exploited in the next contest. (thumbs u