• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest *FINAL RANKING*

116 posts in this topic

And all this "it's just sour grapes" is hilarious, as I could have easily won the contest had my ethics allowed me to data mine my way to victory. Again, this can be easily demonstrated if someone gives me the go-ahead, as I don't want to stir up anything wthout just cause.

Bottom line is you didn't win Vince, and to continually hammer the suggestion you could have easily won the contest is insulting to everyone involved and absolutely counterproductive to the spirit of the Nik Memorial Grading Contest. If you must carry on, please, try to keep your focus on what you are responsible for, not what anyone else's responsibility is, and respond to any inquiries via PM. We all know your viewpoint, but it was a game...Kindly let all the participants and moderators enjoy the contest for the fun that it was.

BTW, in the Revisonist History Nik Memorial Grading Contest down the hall, your max score of 102 by no means secured you an easy victory. In fact, quite the opposite happened:

GACollectibles- an astounding perfect score of 125!! (worship)

Point Five- 2nd place due to his spot on Round 24 bullseye! Score 124 (worship)(worship)

He11blazer and the balance of participants at 123 (worship)(worship)(worship)

Joe Collector 102 :(

Sorry, but that's how it went down!

Step 1.

The organizers were just wonderful

Step 2

The top graders were GREAT at what they did

Step 3

Vince...do you read the end of mystery novels first? I have a feeling that not everyone plays the same way....

There is always the "could have/should have" factor...my guesses were not always right...which makes sense because I'm not Watson the super computer...I had fun....and please let's not take away the joy of winning ... from those who did.

:foryou:

BTW, in the Revisonist History Nik Memorial Grading Contest down the hall, your max score of 102 by no means secured you an easy victory. In fact, quite the opposite happened:

Why not use the methods I outlined above, run the data and come up with your own score. You are acting like I pulled this number out of my butt, rather than having indisputable proof that the contest could be jobbed, so DO THE MATH and prove me wrong before slamming me as some delusional whiner. :makepoint::makepoint:

Vince...do you read the end of mystery novels first? I have a feeling that not everyone plays the same way....

No, I read the entire novel, find out whodunnit, and if I am wrong then go back and find the clues as to how his/her identity could be determined, just like in this case.

Why not use the methods I outlined above, run the data and come up with your own score. You are acting like I pulled this number out of my butt, rather than having indisputable proof that the contest could be jobbed, so DO THE MATH and prove me wrong before slamming me as some delusional whiner. :makepoint::makepoint:

I did! And I won! :acclaim:

I did! And I won! :acclaim:

doh! Okay. :gossip::screwy:

killjoy: kill·joy (kljoi) noun

One who spoils the enthusiasm or fun of others.

780.gif

What do you expect? I play it general, tossing a few barbs here and there just for fun, and all I hear is "BS!" "JC is whining again", "it's just sour grapes", etc. - if you had all shut up, I would have had no reason to supply the methodology that various people were using.

Or did you really think I was making it all up, and was able to hit the bulls-eye on my "mined guesses"?

Or did you really think I was making it all up, and was able to hit the bulls-eye on my "mined guesses"?

Making it up? No. However, I'm amazed how an individual can consistently find the most negative reasons for why things happen and the most underhanded explanations why people go about their lives.

Are you this miserable in real life or is it just internet-Vince we are seeing here?

It would be interesting to see what scores you say would have been achieved purely using your method.

Using my method taken to all 3 steps, combined with some very lucky scores on some "unmineable" books, my max would have been about 102 points - give or take depending on your grading ability/luck on the "tough books" - maybe 95-98 had I wanted to "play if safe". Some of these books were beyond analysis and the end score could change based on your grade/guess.

After a bit of number crunching, 90-97 would be the optimal/luckiest score for most people using this method, but even if you missed the tough ones, definitely in the high 80's just based on the obvious 5-point bulls-eyes.

I am trying to understand the math and logic here.

if using all the data mined methods available, the grade range is high 80's to high 90's right? then are you saying the "cheaters" only cheat on some books or not all because the top 15 are barely in the 80's.

I think what irked most if not all the folks in the top 15 by your posts are the guilt by association with your analysis. If you think I CHEATED..call me if your analysis say so.

Thanks to CGC for donating the grading and thanks to the winning bidders on the 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest auction items! (worship)(worship)

Total raised for The Hero Initiative is $1323! :applause:

End of auction invoices with payment information will be sent out this morning.