• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Octavius said:

Trying to get into Neuromancer by William Gibson. This will be my fourth attempted to try and read this "classic" which I find boring, bland and overly complex.

Sounds like its become a duty, dump it and read for pleasure!:wink:

Edited by Gnasher

Just reread Plato's dialogues (not the republic thats not a dialogue and rather dull).  For anyone who hasnt read them they are not dry stuffy reading at all but very lively and amusing.  The translation is important though, some translators do not capture Plato very well.  If anyone wants a recommendation I'l provide it.

16 minutes ago, kav said:

Just reread Plato's dialogues (not the republic thats not a dialogue and rather dull).  For anyone who hasnt read them they are not dry stuffy reading at all but very lively and amusing.  The translation is important though, some translators do not capture Plato very well.  If anyone wants a recommendation I'l provide it.

I'll wait for the movie.

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

I'll wait for the movie.

Man I hope they dont hollywood it.  It could be great.  Probably have car chase scenes and kung fu though-

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

I think they are also shoehorning in some Bollywood dance routines.

Dont forget the scenes where they down the bad guy then turn back on him so he stabs one of the good guys and runs off-

Good guys get even though cause when the bad guy captures them he doesnt kill em but pauses to gloat, enabling them to whack him over the head and take off-

@kav I think a film based on Plato's dialogue could have been done well by Hollywood previously, but not in its current incarnation. Something along the lines of Twelve Angry Men, but with a forum instead of a jury room. Would make a fantastic period piece in black and white; Oscar bait for sure, but a loss leader on the books.

Set & costume would be minimal; could film on location in Greece or Italy to benefit from foreign tax incentives; or build a set & green-screen most of the background shots. That's not where the cost is going to run up. Casting would be the huge financial problem. The actors who would be interested in such heavy classical work, and have the skill to pull it off, are the same guys who would push the budget beyond what studio executives would be willing to pay for Oscar bait. The receipts on 120 minutes of Sir Patrick Stewart, Sir Ian McKellen, Sir Anthony Hopkins, Gary Oldman, Sean Connery (if he were willing to come out of retirement), and a handful of other older guys sitting around in togas discussing the issues of the day probably wouldn't cover 1/100th of just the talent payroll. That doesn't even cover the costs on the other side of the camera; a cast like that would requite gold-plated directors, producer(s), cinematographers...we're talking Disney money for something that would have to have solid potential to sweep awards season plus earn something back on distribution, foreign, and digital. I just don't see it happening in the post Michael Bay era of less plot, more eye candy.

Don't give up hope though. It could happen someday.

Edited by BabaLament

1 hour ago, BabaLament said:

@kav I think a film based on Plato's dialogue could have been done well by Hollywood previously, but not in its current incarnation. Something along the lines of Twelve Angry Men, but with a forum instead of a jury room. Would make a fantastic period piece in black and white; Oscar bait for sure, but a loss leader on the books.

Set & costume would be minimal; could film on location in Greece or Italy to benefit from foreign tax incentives; or build a set & green-screen most of the background shots. That's not where the cost is going to run up. Casting would be the huge financial problem. The actors who would be interested in such heavy classical work, and have the skill to pull it off, are the same guys who would push the budget beyond what studio executives would be willing to pay for Oscar bait. The receipts on 120 minutes of Sir Patrick Stewart, Sir Ian McKellen, Sir Anthony Hopkins, Gary Oldman, Sean Connery (if he were willing to come out of retirement), and a handful of other older guys sitting around in togas discussing the issues of the day probably wouldn't cover 1/100th of just the talent payroll. That doesn't even cover the costs on the other side of the camera; a cast like that would requite gold-plated directors, producer(s), cinematographers...we're talking Disney money for something that would have to have solid potential to sweep awards season plus earn something back on distribution, foreign, and digital. I just don't see it happening in the post Michael Bay era of less plot, more eye candy.

I dont think it should be played as a stuffy shakespearian deal-thats my whole point.  It is a very lively story.  No need for stuffy old hollywood icons-an unknown but talented cast would be better.  It would follow socrates from a young man in the wars, then going to the oracle at delphi and being told he was the wisest man in the world and being baffled.  "But-I know nothing!  How can I be the wisest?" And deciding to just find one person wiser than him to prove the oracle wrong.  Going about Athens questioning the 'wisest' pontificators, humiliating them in the process, and finally discovering that he was the wisest man in the world, for, where he knew nothing and knew it, others knew nothing but thought they knew something.  Then his trial and death sentence.  Where his followers visit him in prison and say they can get him out, they have bribed a guard.  And Socrates says, no I'm not gonna do that.  I have lived in Athens and enjoyed the fruits of that I am not going to disrespect their laws.

2 hours ago, BabaLament said:

1 hour ago, kav said:

I dont think it should be played as a stuffy shakespearian deal-thats my whole point.  It is a very lively story.  No need for stuffy old hollywood icons-an unknown but talented cast would be better.  It would follow socrates from a young man in the wars, then going to the oracle at delphi and being told he was the wisest man in the world and being baffled.  "But-I know nothing!  How can I be the wisest?" And deciding to just find one person wiser than him to prove the oracle wrong.  Going about Athens questioning the 'wisest' pontificators, humiliating them in the process, and finally discovering that he was the wisest man in the world, for, where he knew nothing and knew it, others knew nothing but thought they knew something.  Then his trial and death sentence.  Where his followers visit him in prison and say they can get him out, they have bribed a guard.  And Socrates says, no I'm not gonna do that.  I have lived in Athens and enjoyed the fruits of that I am not going to disrespect their laws.

I think I'll read the book after all...

14 hours ago, Octavius said:

Trying to get into Neuromancer by William Gibson. This will be my fourth attempted to try and read this "classic" which I find boring, bland and overly complex.

I found the Matrix to be heavily inspired by this dense book. 

If you enjoy this type of torturous, self-challenging prose, I recommend to try Neal Stephenson. Sometimes I complete stuff like that just to prove to myself I can.

:cry:

Edited by bronze_rules

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

I think I'll read the book after all...

He was put to death for the crimes of

corrupting the youth

delving into things above the heavens and below the earth

making the weaker argument appear the stronger lol 

11 hours ago, kav said:

He was put to death for the crimes of

corrupting the youth

delving into things above the heavens and below the earth

making the weaker argument appear the stronger lol 

Spoiler, or what!!!????

This one is  a Christmas tradition at our house.... some years it's the only present that Judy and I get for ourselves. I never realized it was available in hard cover until this year. It is an annual edition that features the years best work in Contemporary Fantasy Art..... everything from comics to paperback covers, gaming, and much more. This year is the 25th edition..... Barnes and Nobles has the trade for 35 bucks, but online is cheaper. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

spe25-spectrum_1.jpg

I'm reading the D.D. Warren  series by Lisa Gardner, they are surprisingly good. I haven't read something I had to stay up till 3am for in years. D.D. Warren is a female police detective in Boston, all the books have psychological twists of some type to them.

@jimjum12

I think I've read everything by Ludlum and Berry and anything older by Cussler, but I'm not sure who Rollins is?