• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

I just finished this recently:

AD95A6C7-7BE8-43E7-9313-5C7BAB0432BB.thumb.jpeg.e5e4936992a2ad3b0fd70c5afe8b9f39.jpeg

It’s been billed as the forefather of all those post-apocalyptic Road Warrior movies. And I do vaguely remember watching the Roger Coreman movie on TV as a kid. But with all that build-up, the book to me was just ok. 

I tried to move on to this next:

0D3DAAD0-6DAF-47D0-97B8-76F825136C58.jpeg.37210c5820d3a5132fd3cc733b17c7a2.jpeg

Dune is one of my favorite novels but I don’t know what it was, maybe I was distracted and couldn’t give this my full attention or what, sounds like and interesting enough premise. But I struggled part-way though the second chapter and finally had to just put it down with the resolve to come back to it latter. I hate giving up on a book without finishing it. 

So I started this next:

44939BA5-57E7-4505-8966-05C521B1977A.jpeg.434b16a26531c8f7bcd73cd718d02f1f.jpeg

I’m enjoying it but it so been a crazy week and really haven’t had the chance to get back to it. 

Edited by Number 6

On 4/1/2020 at 3:26 PM, Black_Adam said:

On the last book of the Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell and about 3/4 of the way through his Last Kingdom series. Both are great reads for any fans of historical adventure.

Sharpe's Devil - Wikipedia

Just finished this series myself.  Sad that its over.  Last Kingdom series was also great.  If the library was open, I'd be onto whatever he has written next. 

Going to finish The Overstory today by Richard Powers/Pulitzer Prize winner.  Pretty great book...got busy and had to set it down for about a month and then wrapping it up this past week.  Have you ever heard of the demise of the American Chestnut, which began with a fungus blight from Japan circa 1904 that ultimately wiped out over 4 billion chestnut trees (pretty timely in that sense)?  Yeah...check it out.  Anyway, the book is about trees and their importance to the planet...it wraps its story around 9 people and their families and lives.  For me I found it compelled me to think about things I never think about day to day.  I imagine some might find it a fairly arduous read but I really am enjoying it and look forward to finishing it today.

Edited by trmoore54

On 4/5/2020 at 11:30 AM, Brock said:

Azincourt (which I believe was published in the U.S. as Agincourt) was amazing.

i also enjoyed his nonfiction book about the Battle of of Waterloo.

I bought and read this non-fiction book with the same title (and obviously based on the same battle) solely because of Bernard Cornwell's recommendation on the cover. A 5-star read for any medieval warfare buffs!

Agincourt: Barker, Juliet: 8601404956065: Books - Amazon.ca

2 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

I bought and read this non-fiction book with the same title (and obviously based on the same battle) solely because of Bernard Cornwell's recommendation on the cover. A 5-star read for any medieval warfare buffs!

Agincourt: Barker, Juliet: 8601404956065: Books - Amazon.ca

a great great book, really really enjoyed it. the medieval period  equal of the  20th century the coldest winter, and the 18th/19th century empire of the summer moon. 

Since NYC went into shelter-in-place, I've finished The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern and Collapsing Fire/The Last Emperox from John Scalzi. Now I'm reading The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor (of Welcome to Night Vale). I have a request out for a galley ebook of the next Murderbot book that I'm hoping gets approved, but hasn't gotten approved or denied yet. Not sure what I'll dive into after Faceless Old Woman, if I haven't gotten access to the Murderbot book. Maybe the Roger Rabbit trilogy that's been sitting on my shelf for a bit, and then back into my Michael Moorcock Complete Read-Through that I paused about 45% of the way in...

Just finished my second ever Grisham novel. First one being King Of Torts and not winning me over. My fiancé is a bit of a Grisham fan so she has a stack of his books sitting here. Decided to pick up The Client and liked it much better than King Of Torts, which according to her is not representative of his typical work

It's been a while since I have read anything by Harlan Ellison. Written when Ellison was only 26, the novel is one of only three he wrote. Oddly enough despite Ellison's popularity his book, "The Man with Nine Lives", has only been reprinted once since the original was published back in 1960. I'm two thirds of the way through the book, as it leads you through quite a maze, as a man plans revenge on his college friend turned merciless millionaire.

scan0217.jpg

Edited by frozentundraguy

On 4/19/2020 at 7:04 PM, AndrewCup said:

Has anyone mentioned this EPIC series from Ken Follett - Pillars of the Earth?  The Kingsbridge series is outstanding!

Ken Follett Pillars of the Earth.jpg

Yes, I just asked about this (see page 81)!  Just finished it, it was long but a page turner and hooked be right at the start.  Great read.

On 4/22/2020 at 6:34 AM, AndrewCup said:

World Without End (Kingsbridge): Follett, Ken: 9780525950073 ...  This is book II.  Another great chapter.

Didn’t enjoy the sequel as much...

Nearly finished with Planet of the Dreamers. An interesting book where man's attempts to build rockets for interstellar travel are plagued by one malady after another. On a distant planet lie the dreamers, who think they are seeing worlds with people made up by the machines they use to dream. They take great pleasure in messing with people's lives, as they can take over conscious control of the Earthlings minds. I will definitely look for other books by MacDonald, as he can spin quite a story.

scan0227.jpg