• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

Just picked up this year's edition ... SPECTRUM 27 : The Best In Contemporary Fantastic Art.

It showcases the entries in the yearly competition in multiple categories of fantasy art from comics, paperbacks, Film, Video Game, and many other areas. It's fantastic if you're into this type of thing. I'll try to share some pics when I get some more time. It's huge, about the size of a phone book. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 hour ago, kav said:

The new Lincoln Lawyer book "The Law of Innocence"
OMG

One interesting facet of the book is the wuhan virus is just beginning and Haller sees it unfold as a side issue to the main story.

I just finished Funnybooks by Michael Barrier.  It covers Western Printing's comic book publishing from the 1930s to the 1960s with a heavy emphasis on Walt Kelly, Carl Barks, and John Stanley.  Their relationship with Dell, the transition to Gold Key, and other artists, writers, and executives are discussed as well.  It was an interesting book.

funnybooks.jpg

I'm currently reading No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished by Rachel Aaron, the third book in the Heartstrikers series.

no good dragon.jpg

I'm also reading 1636: The Atlantic Encounter by Eric Flint and Walter H. Hunt.  When I'm done with that, I'll only have one book left until I'm caught up with the 40+ main series in the 1632/Ring of Fire universe that I started back in June.

atlantic.jpg

Edited by kaculler

On 12/12/2020 at 7:06 PM, kav said:

The new Lincoln Lawyer book "The Law of Innocence"
OMG

dang I just finished it and it was the first Connelly book with a dud ending.
No victory/strategy ending like the previous Lincoln Lawyer books.
He also injected politics pretty heavily in the book.  What a shame.
Started out so good.
dud dud dud

Currently reading the short stories in Science Fiction Terror Tales. Arena by Fredric Brown really stood out, but most of these stories have been quite good.

Only one left so I'm also reading Sinister Barrier by Eric Frank Russell. So far it coming close to living up to the review on the cover.

image.jpeg.3a0ea63f13d752a7b8d78b554387d807.jpeg

scan0400.jpg

I've got that one ... it's a groundbreaking work. GOD BLESS...

Judy has had a lot of Doctor appointments in the last year or so and I tossed "Electric Gypsie" by Shapiro and Glebbeek about Jimi Hendrix on the dash for a re-read. It's even better the second time .... and I find myself not dreading appointments anyone. 

I'm currently re-reading Raft by Stephen Baxter.  I first read it when it came out, but never read the rest of the books in the Xeelee series.  I plan to change that this year.

raft.jpg.f7de10d08c1fd3cce85d590f38601065.jpg

I'm also reading Magdeburg Noir by David Carrico, a collection of three stories set in the 1632/Ring of Fire series.

magdeburg-noir-web.jpg.50dd186058e8810f00b2abc1d71699d5.jpg

Just finished Crooked River by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child; another great entry in the Pendergast Series. Started my trip down the Warhammer 40K rabbit hole with The Carrion Throne & The Hollow Mountain by Chris Wraight. Next up are Ready Player Two by Ernest Cline, The Scorpion's Tail by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child, WoD/Vampire: The Masquerade - Chicago by Night (Sourcebook), and the upcoming Aliens: Infiltrator by Winston Ochse.

13 hours ago, BabaLament said:

Just finished Crooked River by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child; another great entry in the Pendergast Series. Started my trip down the Warhammer 40K rabbit hole with The Carrion Throne & The Hollow Mountain by Chris Wraight. Next up are Ready Player Two by Ernest Cline, The Scorpion's Tail by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child, WoD/Vampire: The Masquerade - Chicago by Night (Sourcebook), and the upcoming Aliens: Infiltrator by Winston Ochse.

Preston and Child :cloud9: GOD BLESS ...         jimbo(a friend of Jesus):cloud9:

Letters from Hollywood - Inside the private world of classic American moviemaking 

It's a curated collection of private letters between Hollywood artists (actors, writers, directors, producers, agents, etc.). It ranges from congratulations to shooting reports to jockeying for a part to John Wayne skewering the studio manager b/c he asked for one camera back from his shooting site. The book is organized chronologically so we go from the silent days to the studio era to the Black List to independent productions.

51ux7p57yQL._SX366_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I would have expected more entries here with the shutdown and what not. Anyway, my newest tome is "Crooked River" by Preston and Child ... a recent addition to the Pendergast series. GOD BLESS...

I started reading Crooked River, but the Library finally contacted me that "Gambling Man" by Baldacci came in. Aloysius Archer (same first name as Pendergast) is a former GI going to California, it's just a few years after WWII, which is a different setting than the other Baldacci series. The first book in the series was OK, but this one seems better.

I own the Preston and Childs book, so I'll finish this one first.

If you are a collector of anything, this is a great read. 78 rpm record collectors are maybe the most, weird and rabid of all. Stories of finds and the collectors who seek them. Comic collectors have nothing on these guys. Hunting down the rarest of the rare. A real page turner!

638DF502-7D89-4215-8F77-DCC15A75014F.jpeg