• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

I've been on a Jim Thompson kick.

Read The Getaway, The Killer Inside Me, The Grifters and Pop. 1280. Currently re-reading After Dark, My Sweet.

That dude could write!

Also skimming parts of his biography, Savage Art, by Robert Polito.

U.S. Grant

We prefer winners in the US. The #1.

My best understanding of Grant in a nutshell is #1 corrupt president & #1 drunken president.

Not even close to #1 corrupt. Maybe in the top six. And less corrupt himself (like say, Nixon) than tolerant of or ignorant of corruption in his own administration (see: Reagan).

His drinking days were mostly before the war. Drank less after. Of course, whiskey was harder to find then...

Surely US Grant could find whiskey. :sumo:

The Breathing Method. It is the best work of King's early career.

That's right, the title wasn't coming to me. I've only read a couple pages... Don't tell me anything...

What a treat you're in for.

I've been on a Jim Thompson kick.

Read The Getaway, The Killer Inside Me, The Grifters and Pop. 1280. Currently re-reading After Dark, My Sweet.

That dude could write!

Also skimming parts of his biography, Savage Art, by Robert Polito.

I love Sam Peckinpah, but the movie version of The Getaway seemed completely flat after reading the book.

I devoured everything that Black Lizard re-published by Thompson in the early 90s. You should check out some of the lesser known books. He falls prey to re-using character mannerisms at times but they're all worth reading; A Hell of a Woman is one of my favorites.

That's right, the title wasn't coming to me. I've only read a couple pages... Don't tell me anything...

I read that back in the 90s...been so long, I need to read it again.

Apt Pupil hit me harder back then...

I think both novellas were included in a collection of four, including Stand By Me and Shawshank... IIRC. Can't remember what the book was called.

I read that back in the 90s...been so long, I need to read it again.

Apt Pupil hit me harder back then...

I think both novellas were included in a collection of four, including Stand By Me and Shawshank... IIRC. Can't remember what the book was called.

Different Seasons. Stand By Me is the film name though, the novella is The Body.

The Thing Itself by Adam Roberts

Just getting into it, but Roberts is a great sci-fi/horror writer with a great economy of words. Excellent stuff.

Synopsis:

Adam Roberts turns his attention to answering the Fermi Paradox with a taut and claustrophobic tale that echoes John Carpenters' The Thing.

Two men while away the days in an Antarctic research station. Tensions between them build as they argue over a love-letter one of them has received. One is practical and open. The other surly, superior and obsessed with reading one book - by the philosopher Kant.

As a storm brews and they lose contact with the outside world they debate Kant, reality and the emptiness of the universe. The come to hate each other, and they learn that they are not alone.

Medusa's Web by Tim Powers... Only a few chapters in, but it's pretty solid.

LOVE Tim Powers Both he and James Blaylock, the kind of original PKD descendants.

Two of my favourite writers! With all the great cross-references in their books, I'm hoping they team up for one some day...

LOVE Tim Powers Both he and James Blaylock, the kind of original PKD descendants.

Two of my favourite writers! With all the great cross-references in their books, I'm hoping they team up for one some day...

They worked together on several stories like "Fifty Cents", "Through and Through", "We Traverse Afar", and "The Better Boy".

Working my way through The Making of the Atomic Bomb: 25th Anniversary Edition by Richard Rhodes - excellent read but very dense.

When I need a break from that I'm re-reading Bakker's Second Apocalypse in preparation for the sixth, and perhaps final, book that is coming later this year.

They worked together on several stories like "Fifty Cents", "Through and Through", "We Traverse Afar", and "The Better Boy".

Those are just teases... I want a 500-page crossover between Declare and The Last Coin. Or something.

Those are just teases... I want a 500-page crossover between Declare and The Last Coin. Or something.

Pleasant surprise to see people talking about these two.

Anubis Gates and Drawing of the Dark are two of my favorites.

Pleasant surprise to see people talking about these two.

Anubis Gates and Drawing of the Dark are two of my favorites.

Anubis Gates is one of the all time great time travel novels.