• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

I'm a big fan of Bernard Cornwell (Sharpe!) and a history buff so I grabbed this one on sale at Black Bond Books solely on his recommendation!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnAmAEeFFuEIeeVnFwWGp

So am I.  I've been reading the "Saxon Series", I've read the 3 King Arthur books (Nothing like you think it would be) and a bunch of other books by him...Just GREAT reading..I WILL read this book soon since he recommended it. Funny, Bernard Cornwell has a book titled the same and it's an excellent book! 

On 8/11/2017 at 5:41 PM, musicmeta said:

So am I.  I've been reading the "Saxon Series", I've read the 3 King Arthur books (Nothing like you think it would be) and a bunch of other books by him...Just GREAT reading..I WILL read this book soon since he recommended it. Funny, Bernard Cornwell has a book titled the same and it's an excellent book! 

Just a heads up, this one is Non-Fiction. Still a great read, especially if you're interested in the real history behind the books (like the fictional historical novel you mentioned - Azincourt). (thumbsu

220px-Azincourt-final_lg.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:55 PM, skypinkblu said:

I've been on a Brad Thor kick, his hero is Scott Harvath, a former secret service agent, turned secret for the President/ then secret for a private agency, agent. His character is similar to Flynn's Mitch Rapp. I think I completed the series, but don't ask me about individual books, they all kind of melt together. Some entertaining light reading if you don't get nightmares about being blown up by terrorists.

Just finished Ring of Fire by Brad Taylor, the newest in the Pike Logan series (about basically the same guy)...I like this one because they've started including some female agents.

Before that I read the latest by Ben Coes, same thing (I am starting to get them all mixed up), his hero is probably my favorite, Dewey Andreas. A superhero without specific super powers. Another government agent (I think they are all basically ex navy Seals) who can do just about ANYTHING.

Now, I'm going back over the Steve Berry books. Cotton Malone is a bookseller who WAS a secret agent, but Berry's books all have a historical background, some of it fantasy, some is very real. The stories sometimes remind me of Doc Savage.

I also read the newest by Baldacci, The Fix, the latest in the Memory Man series. Amos Decker is totally different than the spy guys, he was a former football star who was injured in his first pro game and developed total recall, he cannot forget anything, including some horrid incidents in his life.

Have you tried any of the James Rollins Sigma Force series ? ...... I can't get enough of his stuff. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I just wiped my Kindle Voyage back to factory settings. Upgrading to the new Oasis 2 (thank God I didn't buy the first Oasis).  Price is ridiculous but this is the Kindle I've always wanted.  7 inch screen, audiobooks via Bluetooth and finally waterproof.  Also 32 GB of storage which may seem like overkill but I welcome it.

Main complaints in current reviews are of course price and lack of a headphone jack and I'm completely ok with both since I've gone wireless last year and can never go back. I never get excited for device launches but man I can't wait to get this.  Will load my entire library back on and I think I'll christen it with the Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide.  Been a few years since I've read it.

IMG_0013.JPG

4 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

This was a good book to teach me about the vinyl record keys. Came out in june, 2017 so up to date.

51772083?wid=520&hei=520&fmt=pjpeg

51rUjoZAPrL.jpg

Sounds like an interesting read ! below is the famous Beatles "butcher" cover..one of the most sought after album covers , estimated 500 in existence..

Image result for beatles butcher cover

I'm on book three of the Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown and its a great series. It's a scifi story that follows a lowborn miner on Mars who tries to ascend to the highest caste level. Its well written and Brown does a good job of world building. Basically, its the Hunger Games meets Game of Thrones in space.

3 minutes ago, cupny said:

Just finished The Secret History of Wonder Woman by Jill Lepore.  Very much enjoyed this historical look into the making of Wonder Woman.  Highly recommended.

untitled.png

I read that last year, it was interesting. Did you see there was a movie out about Marston?