• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

Recently finished Shadow of the Wind and the Angel's game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon...excellent reads...currently reading the entire works of Stephen King...started with first published and will skip Dark Tower (when I get there)...I plan on reading the Dark Tower Series once I get to the point when the last book was published. I have read Carrie, Salems' Lot, Rage, The Shining, Night Shift and am just starting The Stand...I have a long way to go but I am looking forward to the journey :)

Damn. Cryptonomicon has been mentioned so many times that I am compelled to confess that I too am a devoted follower of the risen alchemist, Enoch Root.

Cryptonomicon (worship)

The late great Robert B Parker's Spenser books, leavened with Modesty Blaise newspaper strip collections, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Highly recommended police procedural. Great book) and I've been thinking about busting out The Lord of the Rings again. I need to reread that one every year or two...

Damn. Cryptonomicon has been mentioned so many times that I am compelled to confess that I too am a devoted follower of the risen alchemist, Enoch Root.

Cryptonomicon (worship)

When I first got the book, I read ~200 pages and was bored senseless. Then I had a long plane flight & just grabbed it to see if it would occupy my time. Couldn't put it down.

Just read all 3 of the Hunger Games trilogy and enjoyed. Very quick reads and kept my attention.

Highly recommend The Dragon Tattoo trilogy,

An old book called Alas Babylon by Pat Frank. (Made my students read it when I taught History.).

Like Mythology stuff? Try Red Pyramid or the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. I prefered the Thief because it focused on Greek Mythology.

Also recommend the Harry Potter books if you are one of 10 people on the planet who hasnt read one.

Looking for new stuff enjoy trilogy stuff similiar to above.

What are you guys and gals reading right now, besides comic books? I know comics helped instill a love for reading in me and it's still a major focus in my life today. For me.... "Jack the Ripper, Case Closed" by Patricia Cornwell, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, Collected Short Stories by H.P. Lovecraft, "Souls on Fire" by Elie Weisel, "The Nature of Space and Time" by Hawkins and Penrose, and two biographies about AC / DC and Led Zeppelin. They're all great. GOD BLESS...

If you enjoy the bios of AC/DC and Zep, be sure to read Keith Richards' autobiography, and also the bio of Brian Wilson from the Beach Boys.

I recently read the first book of "Maus" and really enjoyed it. I also just read a very long article in the New Yorker about Scientology and Paul Haggis, and it was very interesting.

Just read all 3 of the Hunger Games trilogy and enjoyed. Very quick reads and kept my attention.

An old book called Alas Babylon by Pat Frank. (Made my students read it when I taught History.).

Like Mythology stuff? Try Red Pyramid or the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. I prefered the Thief because it focused on Greek Mythology.

Also recommend the Harry Potter books if you are one of 10 people on the planet who hasnt read one.

"The Strain" is the first of a trilogy written by Guillermo Del Toro and some other dude. The second book came out a few months back. Vampires, not cheesy though.

Dark Tower is incredible. After being committed through the series, the ending is fantastic and I was genuinely upset to have it end.

"The Strain" is the first of a trilogy written by Guillermo Del Toro and some other dude. The second book came out a few months back. Vampires, not cheesy though.

Dark Tower is incredible. After being committed through the series, the ending is fantastic and I was genuinely upset to have it end.

I have heard about the Del Toro books. Big Lestat fan so I will give it a try.

I have read alot of King books, but Dark Tower was never a favorite maybe all try again. Love the Stand, Misery, The Fog and such.

Would recommend Ann Rice's Interview with a Vampire trilogy as well. Not great movie, but such a rich history in the books.

I am on Paperbackswap.com too. I hardly ever get a book request anymore lol

Yeah. The key is to re-stock your Bookshelf to get hit for requests by others ... otherwise, the dead-beat books sit there unloved by every one.

I am on Paperbackswap.com too. I hardly ever get a book request anymore lol

Yeah. The key is to re-stock your Bookshelf to get hit for requests by others ... otherwise, the dead-beat books sit there unloved by every one.

Every time I consider dropping them all off at a thrift store I suddenly get a request so then I save them a few more months.

Just finished the audiobook version if I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett. I've read all of his Discworld books and he ranks as one of my can't-miss authors. Very good with social satire and an awareness of human nature. The narrator, Stephen Briggs, is excellent.

Before that I listed to A Hymn Before Battle by John Ringo. I'd read the book previously and the audiobook was pretty good.

Not sure what I will listen to next. I do a lot of driving during the week so audiobooks are pretty high on my list of great things to pass the time.