• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

I have never read a Stephen King book, when I first started reading novels I was more into action and espionage. I'm interested in horror now, but fast paced horror. I still like the pace of the thrillers i read. Tami Hoag, Erica Spindler, Robert Ludlum, and so on. Any reccomendations? :)

I have never read a Stephen King book, when I first started reading novels I was more into action and espionage. I'm interested in horror now, but fast paced horror. I still like the pace of the thrillers i read. Tami Hoag, Erica Spindler, Robert Ludlum, and so on. Any reccomendations? :)

For me, what makes Stephen King amazing, is he takes a genre that may not garner the same respect as others and writes better than 99 % of all other authors. His character development is what keeps me interested and vested in the books.

Some books take longer to develop like "It" or the "Stand" both around a 1000 pages. Start with the "Shining" for pure awesomeness!!! Next read "Pet Sematary" quicker and easier read. "Needful Things" is funny and scary all rolled into one.

Once you've fallen in love, which you inevitably will, read "It". Amazing character developement, creepy as mess, and just some amazing scenes!

Leave the epic and ridiculously fantastic "Dark Tower" for last. I have read King for years, and just finished Dark Tower a month ago. Not really into fantasy stuff, but it blew me away.

You forgot to include "The Stand" chronlogically: inbetween "It" and the "Dark Tower".

Then if you're not bored with that read some of his later stuff. The Cell was genuinely interesting, and I have another new one sitting on my shelf right now "Under the Dome" which I can't wait to read.

You forgot to include "The Stand" chronlogically: inbetween "It" and the "Dark Tower".

Then if you're not bored with that read some of his later stuff. The Cell was genuinely interesting, and I have another new one sitting on my shelf right now "Under the Dome" which I can't wait to read.

Was just picking on my preference.

Under the Dome was really the first recent novel over the past 5 or 6 years that I thought was incredible. Amazing flow, creative storytelling, great characters, well written all around.

He also has a few recent short story compilations that are really good. "Everythings Eventual" is super awesome which includes, 1408, which they made into a mediocre movie with John Cusack.

The list of bad King adaptations could choke a horse. There have really only been a few successful films, IMO, and then a few more that were hokey, yet still captured the spirit of the novel.

The rest a just pieces of mess!

Ok back to the Nascar thread.......

It is an interesting book. You can watch clips of him on youtube from an old TV interview done from prison.

Currently reading

"The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer" by Philip Carlo. It is all about Richard Kuklinski, a very interesting read, Kuklinski was certainly one crazy dude.

That sounds interesting, I have heard of that guy before.

Dark Tower was a copout.

There. I said it.

;)

I'm currently reading, and almost finished with, Bram Stoker's "Dracula."

I still like it, and the comics are good.

I am currently reading this, a gift from a friend.

31487.jpg

I'm currently reading 'The Mask of Cthulhu' by August Derleth (Cthulhu Mythos stories, while pale imitations of Lovecraft material, still enjoyable in their own way). I've also been re-reading some old Bantam Doc Savages, just finished 'They Died Twice' and am currently halfway through 'The Munitions Master'. Also about a quarter of the way through 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'.

Yeah, I have ADD. I pretty much have a book sitting wherever I might find myself in the house lol

Doc Savage :cloud9:

I'm reading Doc Savage "Cold Death" and also a book called "The #1 Ladies Detective Agency" which is a series

Just recently read Frederik Pohl's award-winning 1977 classic, "Gateway":

pohl-gateway.jpg

I found a sweet "Book Club" ed. HC w/ DJ at a local antique mall for a scant $3! :takeit:

I've always loved that Boris Vallejo cover art, but simply never got around to actually reading it. I really liked it and have since scored the remaining "Heechee Saga" books and will get through them eventually. In the meantime, they make a fine addition to my bookshelf! 2c

Keith Richards' autobiography, "Life". Good trashy read.

My musician buddies are punks & enjoy mocking bands like the Stones. Even so, a couple of them were talking about how great this book was when I was drinking with them back during the holidays.