• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vampirella #1 CGC 9.6 for more than $10,000? What's that about?

32 posts in this topic

The Heritage auction that just ended saw the sale of a CGC 9.6 Vampirella #1 for over $10,000... Can anybody explain that one to me? I thought this was $1,000 book, or even a $2,000 book, but not a $10,000 book...

There was nothing above a 9.4 for years and years. This is a recent grading. If a 9.8 ever surfaced, I have no doubt it would be a $25,000 book.

Indeed, there aren't many copies above 9.0; and the lead among them should command a premium. A 9.4 just sold for $2,600 I believe... seems like a reasonable multiple based on history. I personally wouldn't pay the premium; but I'm not a top census chaser.

$1,000 for a Vampi #1 in 9+ would sell in no time... and flipped almost instantly no doubt for good profit.

$1,000 for a Vampi #1 in 9+ would sell in no time... and flipped almost instantly no doubt for good profit.

Yeah my $1,000 comment is obviously too low, but still, it's such a wide gulf between a 9.2 and a 9.6 -- over what, some spine creasing, or whatever makes up that 0.4% difference. It always amazes me that there could be $8,000 worth of collectability wrapped up in some miniscule condition differences!

I have the opportunity to buy a Vampirella #1 that's about a 6.0.... If a 9.6 is worth $10,000+, what's a 6.0 worth?

Yeah my $1,000 comment is obviously too low, but still, it's such a wide gulf between a 9.2 and a 9.6 -- over what, some spine creasing, or whatever makes up that 0.4% difference. It always amazes me that there could be $8,000 worth of collectability wrapped up in some miniscule condition differences!

While your math is a little off, the principle is precisely accurate. There's a massive, massive difference in price that is not justified by difference in condition....and worse? What could be a 9.4 one day could be a 9.2, or even a 9.6, on another.

So why the massive multiples?

:gossip: Number zombieism.....

Honestly, I didn't think that book was a 9.6, unless that front upper right corner or lower back spine was bumped after grading.

I have 2 of the 9.4's and I think that is one of the worst 9.6's I have ever seen, and at least one of mine should be a 9.6. I really thought it was when I sent it in, especially after it was pre-graded at 9.6. I need to send mine in for a grade review after looking at that one, the corners on mine are much sharper.

Then again, the whole last group I sent in got reamed for some reason, and my vampi #1 was one of them. Matter of fact, I was so annoyed because of that group of grades, I have not submitted any mags since then. Yeah I still buy and collect mags, I just have not sent any in for grading in almost a year. It's annoying when you know what the book should grade, you get the pre-grades that confirm your estimated grade, then they get finalized lower. A few were small grade bumps like my Dracula Lives #1 that went down from 9.8 to 9.6 along with the Vampi #1 that went from a 9.6 to a 9.4, but one book in that group went from a 9.0 all the way down to 8.0 somehow :screwy:

I will probably send some mags in eventually, but I can tell you I have not been a happy cgc'er since that last mag submission.

That stinks. I have never had a book go down from the finalizer. Only up.

Yeah, and to add insult to injury, 3 of the slabs arrived cracked because they wanted to save on packing supplies and used no bubblewrap or anything other than cardboard. I mean come on, it only costs them $17 to ship that box to me here in the same state, and they charged me $34. You think they could have used some of that shipping profit to spring for some packing materials.

They did fix them for free, but I still had to ship them down there again out of my pocket for their error.

superpissed.gif

They did fix them for free, but I still had to ship them down there again out of my pocket for their error.

superpissed.gif

They really ought to cover the shipping if it's their mistake.

I mean they ought to have packing figured out by now.

9.2s bring $1500, so lone top census in 9.6 is going to bring big money. I wasn't too surprised by the result.

Nor I, but then, many here laughed out loud when I sold my 9.2 for $1,500 about 5-6 years ago . . . ;)

I will probably send some mags in eventually, but I can tell you I have not been a happy cgc'er since that last mag submission.

I only submitted one batch of mags to CGC and I thought the grades were all over the place; that was 3 years ago or so. I've bought slabbed mags after that where I thought "htf did they come up with this grade" and I rarely find that with standard comics. Not sure if I'm alone, but the standards seem different (and/or shaky in cases) with the mags. So I feel your pain.

While your math is a little off, the principle is precisely accurate. There's a massive, massive difference in price that is not justified by difference in condition....and worse? What could be a 9.4 one day could be a 9.2, or even a 9.6, on another.

So why the massive multiples?

:gossip: Number zombieism.....

I agree. Vampirella 1 is anything but scarce in high grades.

(shrug)

I agree. Vampirella 1 is anything but scarce in high grades.

(shrug)

I suppose it depends on your definition of high grade, if 8.0 to 9.0 is high grade, then yeah, I suppose there are plenty, if 9.2 to 9.6 is what you consider high grade, then not so much.

Near Mint/Mint 9.8 0 0 0 0 0

Near Mint + 9.6 1 0 0 0 1

Near Mint 9.4 5 0 1 0 6

Near Mint - 9.2 8 0 0 0 8

Very Fine/Near Mint 9.0 24 0 1 0 25

Very Fine + 8.5 23 0 2 0 25

Very Fine 8.0 22 0 5 1 28

Very Fine - 7.5 16 0 5 1 22

Fine/Very Fine 7.0 21 1 8 0 30

Fine + 6.5 9 0 1 1 11

Fine 6.0 10 0 1 0 11

Fine - 5.5 12 0 2 0 14

Very Good/Fine 5.0 9 0 1 0 10

Very Good + 4.5 6 0 1 0 7

Very Good 4.0 4 0 1 0 5

Very Good - 3.5 1 0 0 0 1

Good/Very Good 3.0 0 0 0 0 0

If you look at say, Spider-man #67 from the same year (1969) there are lots more in high grade, more graded too, but as you can see most are in the 8.5 to 9.4 range. (more in 9.6 than all the 9.2 through 9.6 combined Vampirella #1's)

Granted comparing comics to magazines of the same year is not really fair, mags are larger, more easily damaged and harder to store than comics.

Near Mint/Mint 9.8 4 0 0 0 4

Near Mint + 9.6 25 0 0 1 26

Near Mint 9.4 72 0 2 2 76

Near Mint - 9.2 60 0 1 1 62

Very Fine/Near Mint 9.0 73 0 1 1 75

Very Fine + 8.5 60 0 2 1 63

Very Fine 8.0 35 0 1 2 38

Very Fine - 7.5 44 0 0 5 49

Fine/Very Fine 7.0 37 0 1 0 38

Fine + 6.5 14 0 1 0 15

Fine 6.0 19 0 0 0 19

Fine - 5.5 11 0 0 1 12

Very Good/Fine 5.0 16 0 0 0 16

Very Good + 4.5 10 0 1 1 12

Very Good 4.0 7 0 0 0 7

Since it sounds like you are sitting on a huge box of mint Vampi #1's just waiting for the right time to submit them, I suggest you do it now, no telling what that 9.8 you have just laying around will bring.

(shrug)

I sifted a lot of raw Vampi #1s pre CGC and what to my eye passes for 9.0 and higher are not common at all relative to other early Warrens. From what I know about the Warren back issues and the bankruptcy sale this is directly related to Vampi #1s being absent in the auction inventory.

Yeah, 10k seems about right, wonder how much this one will go for? :o

This looks lots better than the 9.6 to me. (no it's not mine, it belongs to a guy I recently met)

The owner of the 9.6 will be steaming I am sure, (it's not even in the census yet)

leia.jpg

Yeah, 10k seems about right, wonder how much this one will go for? :o

This looks lots better than the 9.6 to me. (no it's not mine, it belongs to a guy I recently met)

The owner of the 9.6 will be steaming I am sure, (it's not even in the census yet)

leia.jpg

:o

You mean you met this guy,saw the 9.8 and left without it :pullhair:

Yeah right, I don't have the money it would take to buy that (well not to spend on just one book at least)

He knows the 9.6 sold for 10k :baiting:

I am the one that told him, so blame me all you would be deal swoopers. lol

Sure the thought crossed my mind to buy it cheap from him, but in the end it's better he sells it for big bucks, if he wants to even sell it at all.

(I like being able to look in the mirror, unlike some comic dealers I have met in the past)

I think he is more of a collector than seller, since he bought a graded Eerie from me today.

The man has class, likes Frazetta and Adams.

:applause: