• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Pressing ISN'T Restoration
2 2

229 posts in this topic

Hi Shin,

Thanks for checking in. I don't have a reason to disbelieve Captain Tripps version of the chain of procurement for this book. But (and I am not trying to put you on the spot, Shin) here is your quote from the Feb 4th thread that got things rolling.....you were referring to the 9.4 that Jason won from you and the 9.6 resub that he was offering that day.....and you were very sure at that time about whether the book was pressed......

Oh.. I wasn't saying that it wasn't pressed. I was just noting that Jason (or whoever made that statement) could have been telling the truth. They bought it.. sold it.. that other person resubmitted it, etc. and then Jason got it back for re-consigning.

If you look at my scans Pre-CGC (which are still available), you'll note that most people would never call that a 9.6 quality book (and did not). The edges have massive numbers of little imperfections. The scans from the later auction show what appears to be a much cleaner edge.

I do have detailed scans of that book PRE-CGC and POST-CGC and you can still see the imperfections even POST-CGC. My scans are larger than the later ones provided, of course.

By the way, I did try calling for the graders notes but CGC had closed for the day. The number on the resubbed 9.6 is 0080526003, so if anyone wants to try beating me to it in the morning, be my guest.

Just trying to kill some time.......... confused-smiley-013.gif

All I ask is you provide something to back up these claims and you come up with nothing. If you have nothing (or can't give anything), don't make them?

Trust me, you don't want to see the "Before and After" photos I have. I'd post them just to start a real war, but I'm simply not that evil. devil.gif

All I ask is you provide something to back up these claims and you come up with nothing. If you have nothing (or can't give anything), don't make them?

Trust me, you don't want to see the "Before and After" photos I have. I'd post them just to start a real war, but I'm simply not that evil. devil.gif

Joe, you're completely out of your tree. You know this, don't you?

OT, but hey, there's more to life than outing pressers.......

Mets win. Braves lose. Nyah!

I know, I will pay of this preening.......like tomorrow night.

mrmet.jpg

Just trying to kill some time..........

Maybe you should go for a run.... gossip.gif

I know it's only because you care about me. Thanks! I ....I .....love you too!cloud9.gif

As a newer collector I have a question.

Obviously pressing has been around for ages,

with that said, only recently with CGC have graded books been getting cracked open and pressed, then resubbed and achieving a higher grade, for what I assume is a profit motive by the seller.

Therefore how rampant was pressing in raw books back in the day?, that no one had any idea it was being done?

I assume you all bought and sold GA, and SA books aplenty back in the day, and had no idea if it was a clean and press item.

But since CGC is around now for us to look up CGC slab #, and scans to look at, and therefor track comics easily. We can without a doubt verify a comic sold recently is now for sale again at a higher grade.

So my question.........

Is pressing more rampant now because a bigger profit can be made by taking a 9.0 book and pressing it into a 9.6, and getting multiples of guide?

Or has pressing always been around with sellers turning decent books into HG books and we just bought them thinking them true..

HG, without knowing only recently it was a much lesser graded RAW book?

Or has pressing always been around with sellers turning decent books into HG books and we just bought them thinking them true..

HG, without knowing only recently it was a much lesser graded RAW book?

Quick Points:

1) Pressing has been around for decades.

2) Pressing has a much better chance of making a Golden-Age book look nicer (and therefore receiving a higher CGC grade), than Silver or newer books. Basically, the cover stock of Silver / Bronze books is thinner and therefore more creases break color. Golden Age, with a thicker paper stock doesn't seem to break color as easily.

3) This is only my opinion, but prior to CGC, non-color breaking creases were not downgraded as much as CGC downgrades a book for. Simply put, when dealers had to grade hundreds of books, they usually just looked at them straight on (front and back) and therefore the non-color breaking creases weren't seen as well. CGC takes the time to examine the whole book (and doesn't try to grade a book with rose color glasses on the way many dealers do), so they seem to downgrade the book more. As I have said, when you see a scan of a CGC book that looks a lot better than the grade, I believe it's because of non-color breaking creases that can't be seen.

Just my thoughts.

I’m still unclear as to why clean/press is so frowned upon..

As noted above, it cannot be restoration as nothing has been added or removed,  nothing has been fixed or repaired.. simply dry cleaned and pressed.

It’s analagous to a vintage car’s paint that is buffed and waxed, some scratches may be filled and visually disappear, but the original paint is still intact..  (note to buyer: had it waxed)

or

a vintage desk that has been steam cleaned with original varnish still intact.. ( note to buyer: had it cleaned)

or

my favorite argument, a fine art masterpiece that has had the “patina” of centuries of dirt and grime cleaned away revealing the true and original nature of the piece..(note to buyer: it was cleaned)

all without damaging the original and increasing appeal and therefore value without manipulating the original in any way.

Why should comics be any different?

Point of fact, the same methods for cleaning and pressing comics are the same that museums use for documents, maps, and other paper ephemera.

Edited by devco
Spell check

2 hours ago, devco said:

I’m still unclear as to why clean/press is so frowned upon..

As noted above, it cannot be restoration as nothing has been added or removed,  nothing has been fixed or repaired.. simply dry cleaned and pressed.

It’s analagous to a vintage car’s paint that is buffed and waxed, some scratches may be filled and visually disappear, but the original paint is still intact..  (note to buyer: had it waxed)

or

a vintage desk that has been steam cleaned with original varnish still intact.. ( note to buyer: had it cleaned)

or

my favorite argument, a fine art masterpiece that has had the “patina” of centuries of dirt and grime cleaned away revealing the true and original nature of the piece..(note to buyer: it was cleaned)

all without damaging the original and increasing appeal and therefore value without manipulating the original in any way.

Why should comics be any different?

Point of fact, the same methods for cleaning and pressing comics are the same that museums use for documents, maps, and other paper ephemera.

.....so, if you saw 2 identical books for sale, same grade, same eye appeal, same price, but one was pressed and the other not pressed (with disclosure), which book would be more desirable to a collector?