• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Pressing ISN'T Restoration
2 2

229 posts in this topic

I'm not all that familiar with the whole pressing thing but if I had a choice between, say a 8.0 unpressed book, or a 9.0 pressed book for the same price, then I'll take the pressed book anyday. This is assuming of course that no "restoration" is visible. I don't care how they do it, professionally or otherwise, but if it looks good, and does not contain any artificial elements, then it just does not bother me. There may be exeptions to this rule, but I am generally speaking.-----Sid

But Sid, that's part of the dilemma......the two books won't be the same price. The 9.0 could be multiples of the 8.0, would you still want it?

BINGO!! That's when I start getting pissed off! That is wrong! Although, it's hard enough to prove motives and intent in a court of law.......

This really leaves me scatching my head.... and in no way am I pointing my finger at you redhook; rather, this whole argument about presssing and intent -- when did the problem with pressing ever become one of intent?? CGC can detect pressing -- this is not an issue for debate. Comment the PRESS on the label and leave it to the buyer to decide whether this is something they want to own. I just don't understand how this ever became an issue of intent.

Specifically for the reasons that JC stated, this whole pressing issue should be reexamined by CGC. Personally, I believe they should comment that the book has been PRESSED. By doing this, we nip the problem at the bud. Then we might rid two things from developing; i) the possibility that dealers/collectors jumping on the pressing bandwagon, performing bad press jobs, will contribute to the problem of a bad press reverting; and ii) accurately guage how much of a problem a comment that states "PRESSED" on the label will have on a collectors purchasing patterns. After all, there should be plenty of collectors like FF that don't really about buying a PRESSED book, but for the folks like myself, perhaps we would like to be able to make a more informed choice.

If by devine and greater wisdom, a collector decides to stack their books to Jupiter, and that collectors books get the PRESSED treatment on the CGC label, well then maybe that collector should look into storing their comics in a long box like everyone else. Who the heck stacks their books a la Church anyway??

I agree WIZ. Assuming that CGC can detect both amateur and pro pressing......a comment on the label would be the best solution, and let the buyer decide. That way, we don't get hung up trying to prove the unproveable.

But Sid, that's part of the dilemma......the two books won't be the same price. The 9.0 could be multiples of the 8.0, would you still want it?

Yeah, you are right. I was half stupid/asleep when I wrote that. -------Sid

I don't believe that all pressing ca be determined.....

Not only that, but a ton of books has passed hands many times over, and the history of a given book (barring a pedigree) has surely been lost by now...

How about a family tree for a comic's heritage? confused-smiley-013.gif

Personally, IF I did press, it would be to improve the overall looks of a book that I would keep. If I knew it had been pressed, I would communicate it. But folks, I live in REALITY, and I don't see this changing EN MASSE because of the reason listed above.

Either live with it, quit the hobby, or promote change....

I would be seriously ticked off if a book that I own, was sent to CGC and came back with ONLY a PRESSED note on the Label (be it a blue or purple label). 893frustrated.gif

When, if I had submitted the book a few weeks early the label NOTED NOTHING. 893whatthe.gif

If pressed comic books bother you, don't buy a book you believe is pressed. I try to stay away from serious miscut books or extremely yellowed books. CGC doesn't downgrade for it, but I do.

Somethings you got to learn to live with!!! grin.gif

Not necessarily. I haven't bought a CGC comic since I really started thinking about the long-term implications of pressing, and I'm definitely taking a "wait and see" approach to this rampant "pressing for dollars".

Instead I've been having some fun filling in my Bronze collection with various low-cost VF to NM raw copies. And yes (gasp), I actually get to read them before filing them away. 893whatthe.gif

[quote. And yes (gasp), I actually get to read them before filing them away. 893whatthe.gif

I am confused , isnt filing a comic considered restoration?

And if you file a comic "away" is there anything left when your done filing?

Do you use a nail file? or a metal crosshair file?

Do you put the comic in a vise before filing? and if so isnt that pressing?

Inquiring minds want to know.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

j/k

Not necessarily. I haven't bought a CGC comic since I really started thinking about the long-term implications of pressing, and I'm definitely taking a "wait and see" approach to this rampant "pressing for dollars".

Instead I've been having some fun filling in my Bronze collection with various low-cost VF to NM raw copies. And yes (gasp), I actually get to read them before filing them away. 893whatthe.gif

Read them!!!???!!............Sacralige..... blush.gif

i''ve only been here a whole five minutes, and this pressing biz is putting me on a bender already.

i just got back into the comic scene, and judging from all the posts about pressing, it seems there are some problems in the back-issue market. sounds a lot like the problems people had with restoration back when i first started collecting.

curious. who here sends their comics to get pressed? who do you send your books to? i have a hard enough time justifying bringing my shirts to the dry cleaner to get pressed and cleaned... this just seems like an inordinate amount of work for someone who just likes to collect or read their comics.

i''ve only been here a whole five minutes, and this pressing biz is putting me on a bender already.

i just got back into the comic scene, and judging from all the posts about pressing, it seems there are some problems in the back-issue market. sounds a lot like the problems people had with restoration back when i first started collecting.

Don't let this Pressing biz get you down.

Because of CGC, the hobby is in much better shape.

Enjoy the hobby (just don't bid on any books I want). insane.gif

Yes, and what you did is closer to "pro" pressing than using hundreds of pounds of pressure. Actually, you've just inspired me to experiment with an iron! I considered it once but never went through with it.

The funny thing is, the more people try to convince me Pressing is Restoration (and therefore a NO, NO), the more I want to send my books to a professional to IMPROVE the APPEARANCE of my books, so that I MAY PROFIT MORE, when I Sell them.

And I'm not joking. blush.gif

i sometimes feel the same way after reading all of the anti-pressing comments. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i've got a thousand virgin SA books in terrific shape that i love. but, i still don't care if someone presses a book, and sells it to me in a higher grade than it was before. the book has been improved without adding or subtracting anything - and i'm happy with that...... cool.gif

i've got a thousand virgin SA books in terrific shape that i love. but, i still don't care if someone presses a book, and sells it to me in a higher grade than it was before. the book has been improved without adding or subtracting anything - and i'm happy with that...... cool.gif

Let me get this straight, you're HAPPY that someone pressed your books from a wrinkled 8.0 to a pristine 9.6, and you'd rather buy a pressed copy than a virgin, unnpressed and unrestored book?

That's some whacky tobacky you're smokin'.

Glad to hear it, and I hope everyone goes "pressed or nothing" so I can snag books that actually have a spine. thumbsup2.gif

What is it you have a problem with--ironing (light pressure accompanied by heat and possibly humidity), extreme-force pressing, or both?

What is it you have a problem with--ironing (light pressure accompanied by heat and possibly humidity), extreme-force pressing, or both?

I have a problem with supporting a business model where pressing is considered an ethical way to make money.

Let me get this straight, you're HAPPY that someone pressed your books from a wrinkled 8.0 to a pristine 9.6, and you'd rather buy a pressed copy than a virgin, unnpressed and unrestored book?

That's some whacky tobacky you're smokin'.

I'm smokin some of that stuff too. confused-smiley-013.gif I'd prefer to get a virgin uncompressed book, but how many virgins are out there?!? I thought so... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have a problem with supporting a business model where pressing is considered an ethical way to make money.

An educated market will eventially correct this as the number of high grade copies go up and the novelty of the slab goes down...it's not a free ride by any means.