• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Timm rates

12 posts in this topic

Years ago I walked into the only comic store in Monterey California and he was there doing free sketches. There was no line and I asked for one with Batman kicking my .

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=446005

Just head shots these days huh? Seems like most of the work these days is nudes. How did you go from being known for creating such an popular version of Batman to doing generic cartoon nudes? Was there a transitional period with Batman nudes? lol

I think usually at the start of a convention when the doors open, people line up at Bruce Timm's table (even before he gets to the show sometimes, and they wait), then he takes about a dozen or so names along with the character you want (1 per person), you can leave your sketchbook or he uses his own 8" x 11" paper and it costs anywhere from $40 to $50, depending on the show and you pick it up at the end of the show, so you don't have to wait around (unless you're amongst the 1st few and wanted to watch the process and chat).

Then in the after market, there's folks who re-sell those on eBay/CAF or other websites for auction, so for those collectors who can't attend a show, sometimes the aftermath of a convention is an influx of sketches from those collectors who navigate through the shows, referred to many within the hobby as "flippers" that have a purpose of acquiring art for resale/profiteering than fandom. Heck, some of 'em even come with their friends or pay others to stand in line with them to get multiples.

I'd recommend, if you can't get a piece directly from Bruce Timm, the above mentioned art dealer, Albert Moy sells high quality pieces (commission quality) of greater detail than convention sketches and would say your money is best spent with Albert than through the aftermarket on convention sketches.

I personally believe that what makes convention sketches nice is not just the art, but the experience of meeting the artist, and knowing a piece was draw specifically for you, so there's more of an emotional (nostalgic) attachment to a piece when you look at it and add it to your collection, so there's a personal story behind each piece, which is especially true for ellusive artists where the thrill of the chase may be frustrating, but it adds to the appreciation of the eventual acquisition.

I like his convention head sketches, but you pay a nice premium on the secondary market. I had my heart set on a Bruce Timm sketch at the '09 NYCC, but he wasn't sketching (or really signing) at the show.

When Albert has BT's full figured pencil or ink prelims they tend to go for $300-500. If you are looking for a Justice League or Batman character, that will be your best bet. Albert may get a fresh stock of those around San Diego. I remember 2 years ago Albert had a bunch of beautiful tonal pieces for reasonable prices. If you want something more than a head sketch you could contact Albert to see if he has other BT pieces that have not made it online yet.

I just got a nice bruce timm sketch at ECCC last weekend. they were 50 dollars. He took a commission list each day. 20 names a day. They were head and shoulder sketches. Bruce really doesn't take full commissions anymore. If he was charging 1200 for a full commission at SDCC it was probably because he didn't really want to do it.

Just for kicks I checked Moy's site and fell goofy in love with the Timm pages from "World's Greatest Comic Magazine". For a brief second I actually entertained the idea of selling a Kirby page to afford one!