• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gen 13 #1 Foil Counterfeit?
2 2

51 posts in this topic

I mentioned this several months ago, but can't find the thread because of the useless search function, so I thought I'd just make my own thread. I'm also putting this in Copper because the Modern folks don't care unless it came out in the last 6 months.... ;)

I've only seen two copies of this book, and I think I bought both. Fake? Like Thor #1? Batman #497? Someone fooling around with a foil stamper?

Who knows? It is most undoubtedly fake, but maybe not.

Share your thoughts.

001-47.jpg

Well, it certainly looks fake. I was Gen13 obsessed when this came out and owned every variation of this book that I knew was printed. This was not one of them.

I wonder what the story is behind this 'variant'.

Well, it certainly looks fake. I was Gen13 obsessed when this came out and owned every variation of this book that I knew was printed. This was not one of them.

I'm totally unfamiliar with this book, how does it look fake? Looks like all the other foil/holographic/platinum/ books that spawned in the time I exited the hobby.

It doesn't line up well with the white border. Not very likely a legitimate copy but not the worst fake I had seen. Fake gold editions are pretty uncommon, I have only heard of a couple faked gimmick covers.

I'm totally unfamiliar with this book, how does it look fake? Looks like all the other foil/holographic/platinum/ books that spawned in the time I exited the hobby.

The main reason it is probably fake is because it isn't found in any of the literature about the book at the time it was published.

After all, there were 14 different versions of this book printed at the time of publication; it seems to be overkill to have made a 15th, and then not mention anything about it.

Plus, as Dupont noted, the foil doesnt line up perfectly. It's a very good job, but it's not quite perfect.

It reminds me of the bootleg Michael Jordan baseball cards that were around during his baseball days.

Probably close to the same time frame. Wasn't 1994 the Jordan baseball year? Maybe 1995. Interesting coincidence.

I started to say this might be one of the books that came with the action figures but they were nothing like this. If it is legit I've never seen one before and I thought I had the entire original run including alternate regional covers.

No idea if people know but to foil something you just cover everything but the inked areas (sometimes only black ink areas) and that is what the foil sticks to as you put it thru. There is stamp foiling but for this type of technique it is not a stamp and attached to the ink area.

When I look at that cover above it looks as someone did it after the fact for multiple reasons. Such as it doesn't line up, foilers I have seen put the sheet right thru so thus that was done probably with an iron and along you can see on the E and the circle that it didn't apply right. Was not a foiler or even a heat press because the foil would have stuck to all the black sections. Doesn't look professional to me. I could have even done a better job.

Example of a proper foil job I did for a cd cover I created way back in the day.

111418.jpg.bfe675697afc0d13343ac8792e8a3907.jpg

It looks like the cover has a texture to it, is that the case? Wasn't it the case with a couple of other counterfeit books of the time, where they had a hatch pattern/texture to the paper (CFD #1 comes to mind)?

Which cover, Gen 13 #1 or Thor #1?

35 minutes ago, Mike's Rack said:

So, I didn't see this thread before I submitted this.  What do I have here?

4481462.jpg

Well i'll be damned, it's real?!

38 minutes ago, Mike's Rack said:

So, I didn't see this thread before I submitted this.  What do I have here?

4481462.jpg

Someone's homemade foil job in  slab. 

Remember: there's absolutely nothing from the time period that refers to a "gold edition" of any kind...not in official Image copy, nor in sales literature of the day. All the variants of this book are listed in the back of this book.

Had there been an official gold foil version, someone, somewhere, would have mentioned it at the time.

These weren't made by Eclipse, either:

s-l1600.jpg

They were made by New Dimension, nearly 20 years after the books were printed. Personally, I have said for years they have no business being in blue label slabs, but no one listens to me, so there you go.