• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gen 13 #1 Foil Counterfeit?
2 2

51 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I found mine in 2002-2003ish at a store on SoCal, so the Wonder Con connection makes sense.

This is pretty much what I was hoping to find out.  If all of these that exist came out of the same location, it makes sense that it was either somebody in Southern California with too much free time or possibly a very small test run that came out of the studio.  I'm still leaning to the too much free time myself.  Why doesn't someone post it to Lee's or Campbell's  facebook and see if we can get any information about it?  They might have slept since then, but sometimes people remember some of the strangest things.

Well, I've read everyone's posts, and I certainly don't have a dog in the race (goes to garage to check lol ) but my gut feeling is, it's not a fake. A mistake perhaps, but not a fraud. I just don't see someone going to the trouble and then under selling it. Never mind that you have one in HG.

Just to let you know what you have and some history.  Back in the day when Image was super hot and Gen-13 was a hot selling comic.  Someone (who knows a comic reseller) purchased a large quantity in California.  A gold foil stamp was put on the comics and sold as a Gen-13 gold foil edition and sold like hot cakes as foil/variant comics were a big thing then.  A few months later a Gen-13 gold edition was showing up in the east coast but the quality of the foil stamp was not as good as the west coast edition.  Both versions are fake.  I have more details but that’s the basic story.  Being a Gen-13 fan I’ve seen both versions.  Over all it’s still a rare book and a must have for a Gen-13 fan.

On 9/3/2019 at 5:58 PM, 6265365347 said:

Just to let you know what you have and some history.  Back in the day when Image was super hot and Gen-13 was a hot selling comic.  Someone (who knows a comic reseller) purchased a large quantity in California.  A gold foil stamp was put on the comics and sold as a Gen-13 gold foil edition and sold like hot cakes as foil/variant comics were a big thing then.  A few months later a Gen-13 gold edition was showing up in the east coast but the quality of the foil stamp was not as good as the west coast edition.  Both versions are fake.  I have more details but that’s the basic story.  Being a Gen-13 fan I’ve seen both versions.  Over all it’s still a rare book and a must have for a Gen-13 fan.

So technically, CGC should be putting this in a "PLOD" cover. Such a shame they missed this. hm

On 9/9/2019 at 11:34 AM, whetteon said:

Wait!!! I just found one in my collection! This is a bonifide real thing! Pay me moneys!!!

Gimme!

All the ones with the foil are real. The others are all just missing foil errors! Just look at the Venom black or white foil errors! Remove foil. Bam rare..:jokealert:

But seriously  I would be curious if the indica says anything different that the standard version.( not that all of the special or later prints were noted.)

18 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

All the ones with the foil are real. The others are all just missing foil errors! Just look at the Venom black or white foil errors! Remove foil. Bam rare..:jokealert:

But seriously  I would be curious if the indica says anything different that the standard version.( not that all of the special or later prints were noted.)

It doesn't. They are bonafide "fakes."