• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24)
9 9

1,479 posts in this topic

Question regarding the cover art of Action 23. The yellow building in the middle where the nice lady's elbow is, notice how most of the windows aren't shown but instead covered in a solid yellow color. What do you think Mr Shuster intended there? Not sure what the solid yellow is supposed to be. 

23-2.jpg

7 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Question regarding the cover art of Action 23. The yellow building in the middle where the nice lady's elbow is, notice how most of the windows aren't shown but instead covered in a solid yellow color. What do you think Mr Shuster intended there? Not sure what the solid yellow is supposed to be. 

23-2.jpg

They where just comic books same with Action 7. Same with grey windows.

Action-7.jpg

Edited by woowoo

9 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

23-2.jpg

Curious myself what it would look like - here's the building windowed out for comparison.  My guess is having a repeating pattern like that is heavy and distracting.  The focus is to be on the characters, I suppose.  Notice the rightmost building also has no windows behind the falling babe.

1252152720_action23.jpg.337c85c623bde2e506d7ee70c3963e6c.jpg  action23.jpg.21c82292491da510529982570efa5c64.jpg

3 hours ago, vheflin said:

Curious myself what it would look like - here's the building windowed out for comparison.  My guess is having a repeating pattern like that is heavy and distracting.  The focus is to be on the characters, I suppose.  Notice the rightmost building also has no windows behind the falling babe.

1252152720_action23.jpg.337c85c623bde2e506d7ee70c3963e6c.jpg  action23.jpg.21c82292491da510529982570efa5c64.jpg

Wow where'd you get that with the windows? I think you're right it would distracting. I thought it was something like that, her body in front of windows wouldn't look right. I guess it can be seen as lights reflected off the building. Thanks V and woo. Action 7 would look really bad with a bunch of windows also. 

6 hours ago, Aman619 said:

I prefer your version with all windows,  makes a nice texture that Sipes pops better against,  the yellow building is too much and is a distraction in a bright color. 

I don't know where vheflin found the picture with the windows but on second thought I do kind of like it better that way. But with Action 7 I think windows behind Supe would have looked bad. Perfect the way it is. I would think that at some point with 23 it was discussed and they decided to yellow out the windows. Maybe it wasn't even Shusters call.

On 11/22/2023 at 11:32 PM, woowoo said:

What's up @HudsonHappy Turkey day buddy. I did get a copy of Action 7 finally.Action7.6.jpeg.8cbe6f0c965b221a72f27af04ccfb2b4.jpeg Better than no copy.

Action 7.3.jpeg

@woowoo that is awesome.  Was that Ben’s copy?  I am so happy you were able to pick up a copy.  What a great book.  

Happy Thanksgiving!  Appears we both have a lot to be thankful for.  

On 11/23/2023 at 3:49 AM, Hudson said:

@woowoo that is awesome.  Was that Ben’s copy?  I am so happy you were able to pick up a copy.  What a great book.  

Happy Thanksgiving!  Appears we both have a lot to be thankful for.  

Yes, Bens old copy. I might have told you but I'm an old man now and yes vary thankful.

On 11/23/2023 at 9:45 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

it’s just sooo damn expensive to be an early Action collector!

So interesting that Action has been stagnate for YEARS, and is only just now (this last year) picking up some steam.  Those first five Supes covers have always been high....  There's plenty of room for these to grow.