• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24)
9 9

1,479 posts in this topic

The first two double digit Actions I ever owned were #17 & #18. I walked into a LCS and they had those two issues in their bin. I grabbed them both and they were the gems of my collection for a LONG time.

How long ago was this and based upon the asking price, did it appear as if the store owner knew what he had? ???

Most LCS's I know would definitely have books (actually photocopies only) like this on their wall behind their sales desk to keep the busy hands from lifting them out of the store. hm

This was many years ago. Before such times as the internet made it possible to find virtually any book. They were probably priced fairly at the time. Back then MOST everyone priced by OSPG. Again, however, before the internet came along, it was all in the hunt for such rare treasures. Finding something like an AC17 or 18 (for OSPG price) in a LCS was a dream come true. Usually the only time I would even SEE such books would be at the once a year somewhat local comic convention.

Action Comics 1938-40 photo Actions_zpsctutjzwv.jpg

Still looking for a #3, #6 and #12

Great set of books Judge.

Good luck with getting the 3, 6, and 12. They are definitely out there.

I remember getting my first 3. I was so excited to finally find a copy.

Congrats on the awesome set you have put together thus far!!!!

Hudson.

Would be nice to see some scans of what you got. (worship)

I tried scanning some books and they came out horrible (glare, etc). This is especially true when trying to scan slabbed books as opposed to raw.

I know I saw a thread on here once about what scanners are good. I need to look for that thread at some point and see if I can wade through it. As I recall there were a number of opinions and so I might end up back where I started.

Unfortunately, I am not much of a computer (or tech) guy. Heck, I didn't even know how to post a photo until Gotham Kid (Peter) was kind enough to point me in the right direction.

Even my photography skills are poor, although I think the sig line photo came out ok. I have thought about changing it out, but that would require me taking more photos and who knows how those would come out.

Hopefully the sig line and the few photos I post here and there are acceptable until I become more versed in scanners and such.

Thank you, woowoo, for noticing my books and thinking them worthy of extra attention. I sincerely appreciate that.

Edited by Hudson

Hudson.

I tried scanning some books and they came out horrible (glare, etc). This is especially true when trying to scan slabbed books as opposed to raw.

I know I saw a thread on here once about what scanners are good. I need to look for that thread at some point and see if I can wade through it. As I recall there were a number of opinions and so I might end up back where I started.

Unfortunately, I am not much of a computer (or tech) guy. Heck, I didn't even know how to post a photo until Gotham Kid (Peter) was kind enough to point me in the right direction.

Even my photography skills are poor, although I think the sig line photo came out ok. I have thought about changing it out, but that would require me taking more photos and who knows how those would come out.

Hopefully the sig line and the few photos I post here and there are acceptable until I become more versed in scanners and such.

Thank you, woowoo, for noticing my books and thinking them worthy of extra attention. I sincerely appreciate that.

There is a long legal-sized scanner thread in Comics General. The bottom line, as I understand it, is that most current scanners do a very poor job with slabs -- the scans are muddy. The culprit is apparently a change in scanning technology that manufacturers implemented a few years ago. (I do have a recollection of someone posting that there are high-end scanners on the market that use a different technology and do a good job with slabs.)

So, most people have bought older scanners that use the previous technology. The HP 8300 that I use can be picked up pretty cheap second hand. It does an excellent job on SA and later slabs, but does usually leave some glare on scans of GA slabs. If you use a Mac, you would also need to download VueScan, an easy to use, third-party software program.

Hudson.

There is a long legal-sized scanner thread in Comics General. The bottom line, as I understand it, is that most current scanners do a very poor job with slabs -- the scans are muddy. The culprit is apparently a change in scanning technology that manufacturers implemented a few years ago. (I do have a recollection of someone posting that there are high-end scanners on the market that use a different technology and do a good job with slabs.)

So, most people have bought older scanners that use the previous technology. The HP 8300 that I use can be picked up pretty cheap second hand. It does an excellent job on SA and later slabs, but does usually leave some glare on scans of GA slabs. If you use a Mac, you would also need to download VueScan, an easy to use, third-party software program.

Thank you. This is good info.

Not sure I will go out and buy an OLD scanner, just to scan slabs, but I appreciate knowing that it isn't just me (when my scans come out horrible).

I thought maybe if there was a new scanner, I would upgrade my older one, as my wife would like one of the new wireless ones (like I purchased for my sister).

Since the new ones are not going to do any better than what I have, I suppose I would just be wasting my money.

Sorry, woowoo, looks like no scans for now.

Is there something special you want to see?

I tried scanning some books and they came out horrible (glare, etc).

It's all scanner dependent of course, but I accidentally left a slab inside its mylite bag once and was shocked by how much it cut down on glare. Repeated the trick successfully since, and it works. Try putting a sheet of mylar or something down on the scanner bed when you scan, if you don't put your slabs in bags.

Worth a shot before looking at other scanner options.

I tried scanning some books and they came out horrible (glare, etc).

It's all scanner dependent of course, but I accidentally left a slab inside its mylite bag once and was shocked by how much it cut down on glare. Repeated the trick successfully since, and it works. Try putting a sheet of mylar or something down on the scanner bed when you scan, if you don't put your slabs in bags.

Worth a shot before looking at other scanner options.

Thank you.

I am always amazed at how clear other people's scans are.

Action comics 1 superman page ending tonite with splash panel of action comics 7

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=678525

sitting low at 4k

Hard to believe that that price is considered low, but you are probably right!

Indeed... should be double that at 8k.... The best page to hit the open market!

who knows when another superman will be availble for sale.

Will be fun to see the result of this holy grail page?

Action comics 1 superman page ending tonite with splash panel of action comics 7

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=678525

sitting low at 4k

Hard to believe that that price is considered low, but you are probably right!

Indeed... should be double that at 8k.... The best page to hit the open market!

who knows when another superman will be availble for sale.

Will be fun to see the result of this holy grail page?

Finished at $4,306. Maybe its being brittle held it back.