• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24)
9 9

1,479 posts in this topic

On 12/1/2023 at 11:10 AM, CGC Mike said:

I used to have 85 early Actions.  Photobucket doesn't to want me to share unless I give them more money. 

image.png

DANG!  Absolutely love this group shot!  :cloud9:  O'Mealia for the win!!

• Administrator
On 12/3/2023 at 9:49 PM, thedude said:

I remember when you were picking them up, such a fun thing to watch.

Thanks Alton.  It was a really fun decade.  I have the memories.  :smile:  This book that you and I took turns owning was a beauty.  This picture doesn't do it justice.

image.png

On 12/3/2023 at 9:55 PM, CGC Mike said:

Thanks Alton.  It was a really fun decade.  I have the memories.  :smile:  This book that you and I took turns owning was a beauty.  This picture doesn't do it justice.

image.png

That book was so fresh, only a 1-2 inch spine split on bottom edge keeping it from grading higher.

On 12/1/2023 at 1:41 PM, Yorick said:

PS. If anyone happens to have a raw AC4, I NEED scans/clean pics of the Inspector Donald pages (PLEASE).  I'll try and make it worth your time.

I tried, however, unfortunately, I am not much of a photographer and I did not have anyone with me to hold the alternate light source (to avoid shadows).IMG_3025.thumb.jpeg.511f72307e7d6a0bacc694b03a0b4e7a.jpeg

On 12/17/2023 at 5:44 PM, Hudson said:

I tried, however, unfortunately, I am not much of a photographer and I did not have anyone with me to hold the alternate light source (to avoid shadows).IMG_3025.thumb.jpeg.511f72307e7d6a0bacc694b03a0b4e7a.jpeg

LOVE IT!!  I have access to "reading" images, but I'm hoping to obtain some print-worthy scans.  Can you imagine how Bobby might have developed if Wheeler-Nicholson had continued to control DC?  I see this strip being the next Batman.  Granted, it's O'Mealia's strip, but Bobby loses his father to the cartel/union after trying amateur sleuthing??!!!  Dark stuff.

My bad, that's how I WANTED it to end.  Just did a re-read and Inspector Donald does not die.

Edited by Yorick
Accurate data

On 12/21/2023 at 3:30 AM, Yorick said:

I was recently thumbing through my Action Comics 16:

IMG_20230911_232325702.jpg

You should submit the details of this issue to GCD.  They have a photo of the cover but not the details.

A company called Chronicle Publications in the Philippines published a block of DC superhero titles in the late 50s/early 60s (Batman; Detective; Adventure; Superman; and Action Comics). 

As you can see, they were published for the South East Asia market and appear to be complete reprints of the North American issues.

Interesting that they bear the DC logo.

Does anyone know anything about this publishing arrangement?  

Should these be considered DC variants since they do bear the DC logo?

Edited by pemart1966
z

On 12/21/2023 at 8:31 PM, CGC Mike said:

It must be a variant.  hm

Although they don't share the same issue numbers as the North American versions they do share the DC logo and appear to be exact reprints story wise.

On 12/22/2023 at 6:38 AM, pemart1966 said:

You should submit the details of this issue to GCD.

I may do one issue just so other collectors can get a taste of what they'd find.

The book length is extended to put ads at the bottom of every page, along with subscription coupons.  The color inks they use really pop!

CGC has graded the first issue, and it's available on feebay (if you'd like to pay that price).

IMG_20230911_232959266.jpg