• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24)
9 9

1,479 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, manofsteel said:

Congrats on finishing your run with this beauty! Could I ask why you're collecting 15-63 only?

Reason I'm wondering, is because I'm working on a 2-100 Superman run. I'm skipping #1, because I'll prolly never be able to afford one, and I'm using #2 as MY #1 grail book. Though truth be told, I'd rather have a #14 and 24. 

I have a 14 slight color touch vf restored and a vg 24 but I don't have a 2 hm

10 minutes ago, woowoo said:

If it gets me that Action 2 yes ^^ other than that No.

What a coincidence, he also has a VF 14 with slight color touch... Btw, I don't have an Action 2, Sorry for the confusion.

I'm working on the Superman title, the Actions are way too pricey right now, and I started on the Superman title 20 yrs ago. The Superman 2 will be MY copy of Superman 1, when I get it. 

Edited by manofsteel

11 hours ago, manofsteel said:

Congrats on finishing your run with this beauty! Could I ask why you're collecting 15-63 only?

Reason I'm wondering, is because I'm working on a 2-100 Superman run. I'm skipping #1, because I'll prolly never be able to afford one, and I'm using #2 as MY #1 grail book. Though truth be told, I'd rather have a #14 and 24. 

Thanks!

The end issue is easy: after 63 the Action covers become pretty hokey. 

As for the starting point, I was lucky enough to have bought a nice copy of 15 more than a decade ago, and was never really able to collect issues lower than that, so it became my default beginning. Could have gotten a 14 easily enough, but lower than that the $ gets exponentially larger. 

1 hour ago, SuperBird said:

Thanks!

The end issue is easy: after 63 the Action covers become pretty hokey. 

As for the starting point, I was lucky enough to have bought a nice copy of 15 more than a decade ago, and was never really able to collect issues lower than that, so it became my default beginning. Could have gotten a 14 easily enough, but lower than that the $ gets exponentially larger. 

Same reason I'm starting at Superman #2 instead of #1... Thanks. 

On 3/8/2011 at 7:05 PM, Wayne-Tec said:

I found it difficult to settle on a specific cutoff point as to exactly where we should draw the line between an "Early Action" and a "Later Action" as people's opinions tend to differ; but the original Siegel & Shuster run appeared to be as good of a starting point as any. Since Paul Cassidy began penciling the Superman stories in Action Comics #25 (according to www.dcindexes.com), I felt that issues #1-24 would make for a solid "Early Action" run.

I was just flipping through the covers of early Actions last night and decided 23 should be your cut-off point.  To me it appears that there were some changes made (maybe editorially) that began with issue 24.  Issue 24 marks the beginning of the circular price logo, and also the beginning of a new coloring variation for the masthead title of "Action".  I believe the new editor felt compelled to allow Shuster one more cover before letting another artist finally do a Superman cover (25).

(shrug)

On 8/10/2019 at 3:06 AM, GomerPyleUSMC said:

The second club I've joined this month. 

action2.jpg

I love these covers that are entirely artwork with no text. The image just has more impact when there's nothing to distract the eye. 

11 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Had this for a while. Not sure if I ever showed it. If I did, here it is again! :)

dae7cc90-c99c-4431-a0bd-fa53ab4ea00d_zpsgp7xs45m.jpg

:whatthe:(worship)

You don't need to be collecting Action Comics too.  Stay away from Superman!:devil:

:foryou:

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 6:53 AM, Sarg said:

I love these covers that are entirely artwork with no text. The image just has more impact when there's nothing to distract the eye. 

action2.jpgYa there is its not mine lol

• So I decided to go through the thread and catalog where we stand from boardies on the Early Action "run"; most the books posted were raw (I personally like that because while you have an investment/important piece of comic history. You can also read it and enjoy yourself)
  • There where also 22 other early Action books were the picture was no longer available so these numbers do not reflect those copies.
  • 194 copies (#1-24) within the thread.
  1. Action 1 - 10 copies, then 8 single pages
  2. Action 2 - 8 copies
  3. Action 3 - 5 copies
  4. Action 4 - 9 copies
  5. Action 5 - 7 copies
  6. Action 6 - 6 copies
  7. Action 7 - 6 copies
  8. Action 8 - 7 copies
  9. Action 9 - 5 copies
  10. Action 10 - 4 copies
  11. Action 11 - 5 copies