• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speaking of a Special Grading Category...What grade is this MTU????

54 posts in this topic

Both of these are 9.2's, WTF??? Ricky's book has overall wear and the discoloration/less than bright colors. Greggy's book looks nice and fresh but those edge crease look like killers to me, which should put both of these in the VF- to VF range. Greggy's book leads me to believe that CGC does not deduct the same amount for a 1/4" edge crease as they do for a 1/4" corner crease, an observation I've made before. Or, we could simply be looking at 2 examples of +2 standard deviations (on the left side of the bell curve) from the average 9.2 wink.gif

Greggy's book leads me to believe that CGC does not deduct the same amount for a 1/4" edge crease as they do for a 1/4" corner crease, an observation I've made before.
I've noticed the same thing at times, but they seem somewhat inconsistent with that. Here are two conflicting grades with edge creases:

with a 1" crease on the bottom edge (begins just left of the letter "O" in "Super-Hero!" and ends just right of the exclamation point) that would definitely be an 7.5 or 8.0 were it on the corner

with a 1" thumb crease on the top edge above the "n" in "Amazing" (this is the same book I posted a "what's the grade" thread on a few months ago).

I agree with the second grade, but not the first one. The two Marvel Team-Ups appear to be similar to my Spidey 42 in being slightly overgraded.

I guess I can see downgrading slightly less for an edge crease, especially the one on the Spidey 42; it runs almost parallel to the edge and is harder to see than a 45-degree angle corner crease. But I can't see downgrading MUCH less for it, since a 1" corner crease would bring it down to the 8.0 range.

"slightly overgraded"!!!!! Folks, all the evaluation & rationalization in the world cannot explain these grades. Plain & simple, these books missed the grade completely. A lot of e-bayers intentionally put small scans up & sell these like hotcakes! The question is; why/how does CGC miss these defects with all their microscopes & equipment, and who is getting this treatment (if it is preferential treatment), or does it really matter? Precisely why I haven't used CGC since July. Check out this TOS #63 (a CGC 9.6) and tell me this isn't an 8.0! I nearly found myself bidding on this book. And it's not the sellers fault (a great seller).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2150465577&category=32744

Maybe that book was damaged in the holder (although I'm not sure if that would account for that color breaking spine stress?) If not that's a significant overgrade.

tongue.gif WTF was what I said when I compared the books that I received with the grades that you assigned! shocked.gif

Well, we'll see how the 9.2 that I bought recently turns out! Perhaps a 3rd scan is in order? confused.gif

Whoa, that definitely is the most overgraded CGC 9.6 I've ever seen. Just listing the visible defects out without seeing the scan could tell you that:

• 1/8" color-breaking corner crease
  • 3 color-breaking 1/16" to 1/8" spine stresses
  • one 1/16" color-breaking crease on right edge

EEEK!

Well, we'll see how the 9.2 that I bought recently turns out!

It hasn't shown up yet? Or are you planning to flip it via CGC? I don't need CGC to tell me what the grade is, do you??? tongue.gif

Oops...I thought you were talking about the NM- (aka 9.2) Marvel Premiere 15. Anyhowser, a shame your boys were brought back to earth by the mighty SEC, and I notice you have a game this weekend against a strong-looking 5-1 FSU team..Hmm, who did they lose to I wonder! wink.gif

Called CGC for grader notes which are worthless IMO. This is how the grading broke down:

Primary Grader: 9.2

Grader: 9.0

Finalizer: 9.2

If this thing was resubmitted, it would most likely receive a 9.0 tongue.gif Just a case of borderline grading.