• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Better Investment - All Star 8, Sensation 1 or Wonder Woman 1
1 1

68 posts in this topic

If you were looking to purchase a Wonder Woman comic for investment purposes only, which one would you purchase, what grade and why? Budget of between $5,000 - $10,000. I have been looking to get grab a copy of All Star 8 for a while now, but I have been having second thoughts - she's not on the cover and it seems as though in the CGC era, books are seemingly cover-driven more than anything else. Interestingly all three seem to have similar market values.

All-Star #8. First appearance trumps the other two. (thumbs u

Yes, when in doubt, it's always better to go with the first appearance!

In all honest truth though, I believe that all 3 of these books may possibly be overvalued since they are already listed at pretty big dollars and I just don't know how many collectors are really that much into Wonder Woman.

For investment purposes, I would probably look at some other books since this would be a pretty big outlay and you certainly wouldn't want to make a mistake on a big book. hm

My conversation with a few dealers seemed to have the consensus that Wonder Woman books, especially the early stuff, sells really well. I don't know if it's because the title is so much cheaper than the "big two" or if is a genuine interest in the character. Regardless, it was my impression that prompted me to buy a WW #1.

That was my original gut feeling as well but you guys that have been around the hobby longer might have some additional insights. Someone recently told me that Sensation 1 has historically been valued higher than the other two. Also, Sensation 1 and WW1 seem to be more rare than All Star 8. I guess it's always smart to go with the first appearance....

That was my original gut feeling as well but you guys that have been around the hobby longer might have some additional insights. Someone recently told me that Sensation 1 has historically been valued higher than the other two. Also, Sensation 1 and WW1 seem to be more rare than All Star 8. I guess it's always smart to go with the first appearance....

go with the sensation. a little more upskirt action on the cover there :insane:

go with the sensation. a little more upskirt action on the cover there :insane:

Kinky!

Go with the All Star #8. First appearance. 'Nuff said. :headbang:

I recently bought a copy myself, though it's a CGC PLOD VF+ 8.5 Mod-P Cr-OW. BTW, this is the first and only time that I've ever bought a PLOD since I'm usually apprehensive about it. However, with the limited budget I had at the time, I figured it was either going to be a restored high grade or an unrestored low grade. Considering that I plan on keeping it for the long haul, that I paid just over $3,800 for it, that it's an early GA major key, and that it looks beautiful, I'm quite happy with it. :cloud9: Furthermore, according to the latest CGC census, the highest graded is 9.0, followed by 8.5 - for BOTH Universal and Restored labels!

Judging by your budget, it seems you can afford an unrestored 4.0 to 5.5 range.

FYI, a CGC Univ 6.0 copy sold just last night on eBay for roughly $8,700+ , less than guide (ie. $10,500) although CGC noted a very slight color-touch to still give it a blue label. I think it was one of Adam's. hm

If you were looking to purchase a Wonder Woman comic for investment purposes only, which one would you purchase, what grade and why? Budget of between $5,000 - $10,000. I have been looking to get grab a copy of All Star 8 for a while now, but I have been having second thoughts - she's not on the cover and it seems as though in the CGC era, books are seemingly cover-driven more than anything else. Interestingly all three seem to have similar market values.

I wouldn't do this. I believe it's wrong-headed.

I wanna see the covers all together to decide.

After seeing the three together, it is hard not to pick the All Star. Sensation is a forgotten title and the Wonder Woman cover is just not iconic (or very good for that matter).

8-1.jpg454947-sensation_comics_1_super.jpgwwpeter11.jpg

There really are Wonder Woman collectors, lol..and they are a dedicated crew...try buying one of the scarcer books when you are looking for it...like Sensation 6...can't find them at multiples of guide.

I'd pick the All Star 8

1. because it IS her first appearance

2, because it's a great cover

3. because there are other characters in the title, so other collectors might be interested (if you are thinking of investment)

If there is a tie between Sensation 1 and Wonder Woman 1, the Sensation is scarcer.

I have all three, but the All Star was the one I wanted first, so I'm sure I'm not the only one.

There really are Wonder Woman collectors, lol..and they are a dedicated crew...try buying one of the scarcer books when you are looking for it...like Sensation 6...can't find them at multiples of guide.

I'd pick the All Star 8

1. because it IS her first appearance

2, because it's a great cover

3. because there are other characters in the title, so other collectors might be interested (if you are thinking of investment)

If there is a tie between Sensation 1 and Wonder Woman 1, the Sensation is scarcer.

I have all three, but the All Star was the one I wanted first, so I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Now, that's a nice and concise summary of why the AS #8 is the better buy out of the 3 books in question! (thumbs u

I prefer Sensation #1, as I seem to see more All-Star 8's for sale in my region. I am cover driven.

I agree with aardvark on this one.Sensation #1 (value aside) is the most desirable of the three. I put Wonder Woman #1 second, and All Star #8 third

I prefer Sensation #1, as I seem to see more All-Star 8's for sale in my region. I am cover driven.

I agree with aardvark on this one.Sensation #1 (value aside) is the most desirable of the three. I put Wonder Woman #1 second, and All Star #8 third

I agree will Bill on this one. All Star 8 may be her first appearance but she is not on the cover and I actually don't think it is that great of a cover. Sensation 1 is her first cover and is actually a great image of her. Similarly Wonder Women 1 is a great cover in my opinion as well. The large image of her on both the Sensation and Wonder Women just make them more appealing to me.