• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Better Investment - All Star 8, Sensation 1 or Wonder Woman 1
1 1

68 posts in this topic

There really are Wonder Woman collectors, lol..and they are a dedicated crew...try buying one of the scarcer books when you are looking for it...like Sensation 6...can't find them at multiples of guide.

I'd pick the All Star 8

1. because it IS her first appearance

2, because it's a great cover

3. because there are other characters in the title, so other collectors might be interested (if you are thinking of investment)

If there is a tie between Sensation 1 and Wonder Woman 1, the Sensation is scarcer.

I have all three, but the All Star was the one I wanted first, so I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I concur (thumbs u

I prefer All-Star #8. It's the only one of the three that I own, and was actually the first GA key that I ever bought. Hard to believe I've had it for 20 years now!

I don't think the cover is that great on the All-Star 8, but I do think the 1st appearance trumps every other comparative measure. The Sensation cover is, well, sensational, and it's the 2nd appearance of Wonder Woman, plus it's got the 1st appearance of Wildcat, so I think it's a pretty desirable book. Wonder Woman 1 is nice, but not as important to me.

So I'd rank them:

All-Star 8

Sensation 1

Wonder Woman 1

first, let's be clear, none of the 3 are "rare" or even scarce...all are readily available, in a variety of grades and conditions (plod vs blue) pretty much every day of the week...

in fact, WW 1 is as population available as All Star 8 (81 each on the cgc census)...sensation 1's numbers are about 70% of that (56), but mainly because, imo, it is more of the "forgotten" title to non WW collectors, and AS is so much "higher" in the guide, more submissions are driven..

which is more desirable...to the "general" GA collector, AS 8 holds more appeal, for many of the above mentioned reasons... however, AS as a title, doesn't hold the appeal it once did, to today's "cover drive cgc" collectors... it used to be said that you were not a " real" GA collector unless you had collected AS...that has changed...

WW 1 is a later (1942) released, in more quantity, of a character already firmly established by AS and Sens 1...so, that one falls 3rd, for a myriad of reason...

If one is a WW only collector, then quite honestly, Sensation 1's cover is likely to put it a nose ahead of AS 8...and there is a concensus there is less supply (but relative to demand, about equal)

but, overall, AS 8 would or "should" win by a nudge, if one is looking at investment only (history, genre, story, etc)

My conversation with a few dealers seemed to have the consensus that Wonder Woman books, especially the early stuff, sells really well. I don't know if it's because the title is so much cheaper than the "big two" or if is a genuine interest in the character. Regardless, it was my impression that prompted me to buy a WW #1.

Though I am a collector, not a dealer, I concur with Roy's observation that the Wonder Woman title itself is more popular than Sensation or All Star. As a WW collector I wanted a WW #1. I have also heard from Dealers that Sensation 1 is a hard sell.

My conversation with a few dealers seemed to have the consensus that Wonder Woman books, especially the early stuff, sells really well. I don't know if it's because the title is so much cheaper than the "big two" or if is a genuine interest in the character. Regardless, it was my impression that prompted me to buy a WW #1.

Though I am a collector, not a dealer, I concur with Roy's observation that the Wonder Woman title itself is more popular than Sensation or All Star. As a WW collector I wanted a WW #1. I have also heard from Dealers that Sensation 1 is a hard sell.

nothing hard about selling any of the 3, as long as you have priced right (thumbs u

I always take Rick's comments about "rarity" with a grain of salt. He seems to have at least five copies of everything so nothing is rare to him. :baiting:

I always take Rick's comments about "rarity" with a grain of salt. He seems to have at least five copies of everything so nothing is rare to him. :baiting:

I think Pepsi is rare to him! :makepoint:

It also depends on your income bracket, if $3-$5k is easy money for you, it's not hard to find one of these books. If it's not...then they are not easy books to get.

It's not exactly like they are being hawked on street corners for $1.50;)

I just got an email from a fellow WW collector who was commenting that the only copies of #1 he saw on eBay were WAY over his head...he's got a nice normal job as a store manager.

To him, WW #1, is a reach.

To someone who is driving ferraris, or was...

Not so much...

It's all kind of relative.

cover or not, 1st appearance always trumps, unless you are a cover collector. Go for AS8

Does More Fun 51 trump 52?

It's been well established that ads and next issue teasers do not constitute 1st appearances.

She's not the feature story, but it's not an ad, or a "teaser" panel. I was looking to see if I had a reprint to scan.

Does the Hulk appear in #180? I thought that was just an ad?

Edited by skypinkblu

AS8 = Hulk 180

Sensation 1 = Hulk 181

Gene :fear:

That's not really a good comparison at all. Wolverine appears in 1 teaser panel at the end of the story in Hulk 180. Wonder Woman has her own 9 page story, with origin, called "Introducing Wonder Woman" in All-Star #8.

Toss up to me between AS 8 Sens #1.

If I was Batty (and I am a little) for Wonder Woman and had the money to spend, I think I'd buy a Sensation #1. Because she's on the cover and it's the best cover of the three to me. But,,,,,of course a lot of other people will go for the first appearance. I would think demand will be greatest for these 2 books, and not WW1. As for an investment, will she get hot? Maybe, we'll see what the TV show does.

She's not the feature story, but it's not an ad, or a "teaser" panel. I was looking to see if I had a reprint to scan.

Does the Hulk appear in #180? I thought that was just an ad?

Wolverine has a half splash at the end of #180 (in full costume) and is referenced earlier in the book. It is, ostensibly, his true first appearance. That said, #181, like Sensation #1, is his first cover appearance and he's the star of the book.

I was the underbidder on the 9.2 copy of Sensation #1 at Heritage a while back. I don't really collect slabs anymore and have never collected GA, but that book stood out to me with the first cover appearance. I would not have had any interest in AS #8. (shrug)